Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will there be a Price Increase 1/1/14?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't let the devil win. I have always been a hard core ICE fan. Ferrari, Corvette, RX-7, Karmann Ghia, Corvair,NSX, etc. I still love them and own 'em but the Tesla so impressed me away on the test drive (when I really expected to only think of it as novel and different) and its really amazing to me now that I have owned it for a few months to see anyone actually selling one.
Congrats on pulling the trigger. I will warn you: you better be friendly to strangers. You will be getting lots of questions.

I will not be surprised but as a potential buyer sitting on the fence right now, one more price increase may put me off for good. I love the car and it is unique but frankly another price hike will likely make me go in another direction. I was one that got sucked in by the "low" price of the 40 (about $57K) and then put onto the 60 when the 40 went away. I am considering and likely leaning towards an 85 but only because I struggle to justify that and only on the basis of a comparison to what is now a severely increased 60 cost. Yes, I am only one buyer but I suspect that many others may be in my position.

Exact boat as you. EXACT.

Everyone's buying choices are different and some people have different financial goals. For me, I wanted to wait until A) I had enough money to put down on the car to where the monthly payments through financing were VERY low ( I do NOT like debt/high payments) B) See enough iterations to know that they got all the "kinks" out.

Due to my waiting I have gone through price increases, which has set my savings back more, and several options added on or taken out of the main car and created as options.

So here I sit, literally and possibly a month or two from purchasing (there is a number in my head I want to hit and I am a few months of savings out from it). I realize the car is already stupid expensive in the sense that I could simply put it to better investments, but this car isn't about a good investment. To me, I am investing in Tesla as a company and the future of American innovation, green future and global warming. Financially though its a bad move. I say that to say this, if the price increases another 5k I may just step away. While I can afford the payments, its just kind of getting ridiculous.

It also doesn't help that I keep talking myself into an 85 with a lot of the options either way, hah.

I have been on this forum for 2 years I think, so its been quite awhile watching others get their car and hearing all the great things. It just makes me want to get it more. But I didn't get anywhere like I am now by just jumping at things I wanted right away :)

EDIT: Ah, year and a half looks like. :) Anyway you get the point. There are many I feel that are in my shoes, who aren't upper class, but that are maybe upper middle or middle class who are looking at the car. I strongly feel this car breaks the cost barrier quite a bit and people who were not considering luxury cars or cars in this price range are finding themselves digging deep in their pockets or planning on purchasing through saving just to have the car. It's to the point where that pocket digging gets down to the ankles that kinda screws you after all the increases. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, price increases!!! We in Australia were promised the car early this year when the exchange rate was better than 1:1. now, our dollar has devalued 10%, forgetting about price increases. I reserved in April 2011. The first price rise at the end of 2012, they have promised to waive. BUT - how about the rest? The longer we wait the more expensive the car gets and the more people are dropping off the waiting list here. Cars in general are crazy expensive in Australia due to taxes, and a promise from Tesla in August of a Southern hemisphere fall delivery does NOT look like coming to fruition, given that there is NO sign of a showroom nor of hiring any sales staff, and given the first deliveries timeframe, and comparing to England, you would expect at least expect SOME movement here. For those of us like myself who have been on the list for 3 years now, i think they really need to give us a LOT of slack in the circumstances, but it probably won't happen. If they carry on and pass on all the price rises to us, i think they can forget about this market!!! We pay luxury car tax on the GROSS of the car price, which includes marine insurance and freight!!!

Yeah, price increases!!! We in Australia were promised the car early this year when the exchange rate was better than 1:1. now, our dollar has devalued 10%, forgetting about price increases. I reserved in April 2011. The first price rise at the end of 2012, they have promised to waive. BUT - how about the rest? The longer we wait the more expensive the car gets and the more people are dropping off the waiting list here. Cars in general are crazy expensive in Australia due to taxes, and a promise from Tesla in August of a Southern hemisphere fall delivery does NOT look like coming to fruition, given that there is NO sign of a showroom nor of hiring any sales staff, and given the first deliveries timeframe, and comparing to England, you would expect at least expect SOME movement here. For those of us like myself who have been on the list for 3 years now, i think they really need to give us a LOT of slack in the circumstances, but it probably won't happen. If they carry on and pass on all the price rises to us, i think they can forget about this market!!! We pay luxury car tax on the GROSS of the car price, which includes marine insurance and freight!!!

Am I misunderstanding? Are you saying that because the Australian dollar has devalued, Tesla should just eat the cost and deliver the car, even if at a loss? Would you have been willing to pay more the other way around if the exchange rate were working in your favor? I guess in these situations you could always park your money in a foreign bank to guard against exchange rates changing ... but honestly, it doesn't seem fair to hold Tesla accountable for the devaluation of the local currency.

Log into your dashboard and click the "Commit" button so you'll get your car two weeks faster. We didn't know about that until two days after we placed the order.

Thanks for the tip. My order has been confirmed. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

We pay luxury car tax on the GROSS of the car price,

That's the same in BC, Canada. The tax is usually 12% (7% PST and 5% GST) but on any car over $57K the PST is 10% making for a 3% luxury tax. On my purchase, that's about another $3K. But, fortunately, BC has a $5K EV Rebate. The ironic thing is that our neighbouring Province, the dirty "oil sands" Alberta, has no EV rebate but they have no Provincial sales tax, so I actually paid about $5K more with our liberal government with environmental policies, than the Province next door with a conservative government that frowns on environmental policies. Go figure....:confused:

Last edited:

maybe you should just move to the U.S. then you also wouldn't have to worry about all those poisonous spiders and snakes and creepy critters that you have out there. food for thought. :p

Am I misunderstanding? Are you saying that because the Australian dollar has devalued, Tesla should just eat the cost and deliver the car, even if at a loss? Would you have been willing to pay more the other way around if the exchange rate were working in your favor? I guess in these situations you could always park your money in a foreign bank to guard against exchange rates changing ... but honestly, it doesn't seem fair to hold Tesla accountable for the devaluation of the local currency.
No, i am saying that price rises experienced in the USA over time should be looked at. That is stuff that we had NO control over. As it happens, I sold some TSLA and have USD so the exchange rate is not going to affect me personally. Those funds are invested in USD in the States and are earning some small amount of interest. In fact, my shares may well land up buying me a new car, and returning all my investment AND leave me with a small profit! I am pleased to have locked in my profit to date. Always providing that Tesla allows me to pay for most of the car in the USA! So, a FREE CAR!

No, i am saying that price rises experienced in the USA over time should be looked at. That is stuff that we had NO control over. As it happens, I sold some TSLA and have USD so the exchange rate is not going to affect me personally. Those funds are invested in USD in the States and are earning some small amount of interest. In fact, my shares may well land up buying me a new car, and returning all my investment AND leave me with a small profit! I am pleased to have locked in my profit to date. Always providing that Tesla allows me to pay for most of the car in the USA! So, a FREE CAR!

Excellent. I guess the angry face on your previous post and comments like 'I guess they can forget about this market' misled me. Glad you're happy. :)

IMHO, as an owner and shareholder I think raising base model prices further is a bad idea at this time. If they need to call on their customers even more to achieve 25% GM then that might signal to the market that they are having problems improving efficiency. I am not sure, but I don't think inflation has gone up much this year to justify any significant price increase on that alone. As an owner I want Teslas to become more accessible to everyone else. Increasing prices further just makes it harder. I would rather suffer a longer waiting period to get a car at better price. In stock top models should be available to those who can afford not to wait. Testing demand should be done by producing more cars, not by pricing customers out of the market. On the other hand, I also think adding new options features that would increase the prices of cars with those options would be good sign. Like say a new larger 100kwh battery or something, sure that should cost more for those who want it. Let's electrify transportation for the masses.

Typical 3%-5% year over year should be expected.
Yes but prospective buyers can already see the high markups, and price increases aren't what I'd recommend. A friend of mine is ordering his Model S (took me long enough to convince him!), but he's a little off-put by what he sees as price gouging, particularly on the options. He's a rich man, too, so it's not that he couldn't ​afford these options but that he feels they are getting too costly.

For the most part, irrelevant.

Assuming you are able to make it a cash purchase, you'll always be able to out-earn the price increases with pretty conservative investing and/or dividends. The time/value of money should match (or preferably beat) inflation.

I don't write that a "rich man" but as a pragmatist. If you can afford one now, you will be able to afford one later... just don't leave the money stuffed under your mattress-- put it to work!