Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will There be a Signature Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the the sheer number of Tesla Model 3s that will need to be produced, does anything think TM will have a Signature Model 3 in the line up?

I say no... because the TM will have reached that goal of the "mass market" car and the sales of the other TM products should fund the development of the Model 3 CUV and the Roadster.

Others have shared your opinion, but I don't see why not.

There's no real harm to doing a Signature edition, and there are several advantages to doing so. Additional positive cash flow, proven demand to keep investors happy and keep up the stock price, etc.

I don't really buy the argument that it's elitist and flies in the face of a mass market car. I don't really see it as elitist, and a 35k car that competes with the BMW 3 series isn't really mass market anyway. We're not tailing about an electric Yugo, for crying out loud.

I am firmly in the "Yes" camp on this question, and today's Model X design studio reveal answered another question I'd been wondering in a previous thread: with Sig Red returning for Model X (as well as white leather on Sigs), it would be fair to guess that Sig Red will be back for Sig 3s as well. Which is good, because I totally want Sig Red on my 3. :)

I hope they have Sig Model 3s as well. The other benefit for Tesla is that if they give priority to current Roadster, MS and MX owners, they'll be working out the bugs with people who are familiar with using the technology.
Current owners didn't get priority for MS or MX Sigs, why should they change for the M3?

Definitely Yes. Signatures have worked for the company so far so why would they change it? The question for me is how many will there be? More than just a thousand, I would expect.

I agree. My pure guess is 5,000 units. It could even be 10,000, given the planned rate of production. But I don't expect it to be more than that under any circumstances.

I am firmly in the "Yes" camp on this question, and today's Model X design studio reveal answered another question I'd been wondering in a previous thread: with Sig Red returning for Model X (as well as white leather on Sigs), it would be fair to guess that Sig Red will be back for Sig 3s as well. Which is good, because I totally want Sig Red on my 3. :)

So do I as I find Sig Red so awesome than no other colour can compete (for my own taste obviously). I'm already saving for a Model 3 Cross Over/miniSUV, but I will not need it until 2020 at least (and my finances will not allow it before that) so I wonder if I would make a reservation for a Model 3 Cross-Over Sig, how much time will I be able to hold the reservation (until 2020, supposing the reservations begins in mid-2016 for example)? Any of you know someone that hold their sig Model S until 2015 for example?

I say no... because the TM will have reached that goal of the "mass market" car and the sales of the other TM products should fund the development of the Model 3 CUV and the Roadster.

I do agree with you here. As I have written in an another thread: what make sense on a limited edition sports car or "premium"/"luxurious" car does not necessary make sense on a mass marked car like TM3. Especially not with the focus on "low cost".

But with that said: this is about the current version of "the signature edition". 10 times the deposit (or whatever it is), "everything" (almost) is included + special options not available later. What may make sense on the TM3 could be something like this: The first 1/5/10-tousend (in each region) to reserve/finalize/get delivery will get a "signature" edition. Just some badging and maybe a few "free" options (supercharger access?).

... but yes, I would just love the "Sig Red" TM3 ;)

Yes. It's free money. Sig Model S's were several thousand dollars more expensive than identically spec'd GP models. If people are willing to give them money, why not take it? I do hope they have an "R" list like they did for Model S for current owners to jump to the front of the line for GP orders. As CatB pointed out those folks will be more accepting of early production bugs.

- - - Updated - - -

I do agree with you here. As I have written in an another thread: what make sense on a limited edition sports car or "premium"/"luxurious" car does not necessary make sense on a mass marked car like TM3. Especially not with the focus on "low cost".
While Model 3 may be low cost for a Tesla it is not low cost in the grand scheme of automobiles. Elon has said over and over that they will follow the German makers concept of having a wide product line. So while there will be a $35k Model 3 there will also be a $100k high performance model (like BMW's M, Audi's RS, or MB's AMG models). I also promise you that the first 6+ months of production will be those high performance models (they did this w/ Model S). I predict you will not see a $35k Model 3 delivered to a customer until the very end of 2019.

While Model 3 may be low cost for a Tesla it is not low cost in the grand scheme of automobiles. Elon has said over and over that they will follow the German makers concept of having a wide product line. So while there will be a $35k Model 3 there will also be a $100k high performance model (like BMW's M, Audi's RS, or MB's AMG models). I also promise you that the first 6+ months of production will be those high performance models (they did this w/ Model S). I predict you will not see a $35k Model 3 delivered to a customer until the very end of 2019.

Your right in that it will be possible to option-up the TM3 to get to the double - or more - of the base price. But as long as people is willing to pay up for this extra, why limit it to just the first (few) thousands? Yes it will be both Model 3 60 and Model 3 P90D (or whatever the battery sizes will be) with a lot of "premium" options.

Your right in that they will start with the most costly versions, and go down the list as they ramp up the production. But no, the $35k base version will start to be delivered (if anyone order it "bare bone") no more then 6-9 month after the first delivery. Remember that we are talking abut a much stepper ramp up here then with the TMS/X.

YYour right in that they will start with the most costly versions, and go down the list as they ramp up the production. But no, the $35k base version will start to be delivered (if anyone order it "bare bone") no more then 6-9 month after the first delivery. Remember that we are talking abut a much stepper ramp up here then with the TMS/X.
I agree. Applying my Tesla delivery date fudge factor puts Model 3 Sig deliveries in early 2019.
No flipping way.
Wow, that was intelligent. Thanks for adding to the conversation.

I agree. Applying my Tesla delivery date fudge factor puts Model 3 Sig deliveries in early 2019.

At least we agree on the time from production start to the first $35k version gets produced. ;) I still believe I will drive around in my "low options" TM3 in Q3 2018 here in Norway (if the price of USD don't get any higher then today :p ).