TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will there be another Tesla Wall Charger out soon?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by eSpiritIV, Jul 13, 2017.

?

Should I buy existing Tesla Wall Charger now?

1. Get it now!

46.4%
  2. Wait for a new charger announcement

53.6%
  1. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

I know people who bought a Gen 1 Wall Connector for $750 before Model X production started. Shortly thereafter the Gen 2 Wall Connector was released and price dropped to $500-550 depending on cord length. It doesn't make sense to buy a Wall Connector until you are within weeks of taking delivery of your vehicle.

• Like x 1
  2. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

Makes sense. I am however upgrading my panel/service and installing a 14-50 in September to be ready.

• Like x 2
  3. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.20.2.1

The tax credit was extended for 2015 and 2016 but expired at the end of 2016.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Perhaps he means the Model 3 charger spec hasn't been announced yet.

5. ZeApelido

ZeApelido Member

Yeah from someone working on model 3, months ago failure rate on onboard charger was high, from what I understood due to change in design from model S/X to try to make with less $$$, instead of having multiple cables in parallel it was just one (I have no idea where). I presume this issue was fixed by now, but haven't asked.

6. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

Makes perfect sense but I am doing the opposite of that.

• Like x 1
  7. jlv1

jlv1 Twice as much fun

You probably don't need an wall charger at all. Assuming they sell the car with a similar mobile EVSE to the Model S, you only need to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet and use that.

• Like x 2
  8. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

And while kWh limited, perhaps DCFC at home ;-)

9. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

What are the benefits of the wall charger vs a NEMA outlet? Eventually I'll probably end up with two cars charging and needing to share a 50 A breaker.

10. TexasEV

No advantage over a NEMA 14-50. (A "NEMA outlet" is like saying something weighs pounds without specifying how many). HPWC is primarily used for higher amp circuits, or some just prefer the appearance. Note that for two cars to share a 50A breaker they'll have to use the same outlet and you choose which to plug in.

11. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

I thought the new superchargers could daisy chain and share a 50 A circuit without overloading it.

So you are using the mobile charger that comes with the car to use the NEMA, which means that if I want another to keep in the car I'd have to spend $550 anyway? I would tend in that case to prefer to spend the money on the wall charger.

12. TexasEV

1. HPWCs, not superchargers.
    2. Sure, it you want to buy and install 2 HPWCs. That's an absurdly expensive way of charging 2 cars from a 50A circuit.
    3. There is no reason to keep a UMC in the car routinely. Unplug it and take it with you for trips when you might use it-- which for most people is rarely. That's what most S and X owners do. Remember you only need it if you're going to plug into an outlet. Not for supercharging, not for HPWCs, not for J1772s, not for CHAdeMO.

• Like x 3
  13. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

Ok, thanks. I could probably upgrade the electrical for not much more I suppose and not have to worry about having two cars on the same circuit.

• Like x 1
  14. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

They do, but I think Tesla is the only one who includes 240V charging on theirs. All others (that I know of) are only 110V.

• Informative x 1
  15. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Yes. eMotorwerks has a 75A Juicebox. Clipper Creek also has 75A as well as a 100A EVSE.

16. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

Depending where you are there is an advantage to the HPWC. This is assuming an onboard 48 amp charger. In the US a Nema 14-50 can be on a 50amp breaker and charge on the included UMC at 40 amps. In Canada a Nema 14-50 in limited to a 40 amp breaker by code and can only charge at 32 amps with the UMC. THe HPWC on a 6/3 wire and a 60 amp breaker can charge at 48 amps in both countries. If you need frequent quick charging the HPWC is faster at 48 amps.
    Plus it looks cool....!

17. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

$550 worth of cool?

18. hmcgregoraz

hmcgregoraz Member

We are going to be doing a major set of remodeling, and I plan on putting in at least two hpwc, if not 3, probably on 60 amp dedicated breakers, possibly on 100 amp shared with the interlink option. The cost of the hpwc is not that high compared to the rest of the work. Also will put in two outdoor rated 14 50 outlets for the evse for our leaf.

For model 3 prep, I would install a 14-50 on a 50amp cb (us) but I would size the wire such that you could change to an hpwc and a 60amp breaker.

Harry

• Like x 1
  19. Craig-Tx

Craig-Tx Member

This is why I installed a HPWC for my model 3 back in December.
    I realized there was / is a risk that the HPWC would change, or drop in price, etc. But considering I ended up saving a few hundred dollars, I figured the risk was worth it.

Today, I would not install the HPWC... yet, unless you have some ongoing incentive, either financial, or timing. For example, if you were already in the midst of doing a major electrical upgrade, it would be wise to make this part of it. However, I'd probably simply install the lines for the HPWC sized as needed to support the largest you would ever need. But then just put those lines on a 50 amp breaker and NEMA 14-50 for now. That would serve any imediate charging needs when your vehicle arrives and gives you the options to easily swap it out for a HPWC in the future.

• Like x 1
  20. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

I have a requirement for quick turnarounds from home. If the Model 3 charger is 48 amps I want full advantage of that to minimize charge time. The only way to do that at home is with the HPWC. In Canada that takes me from 32 amps to 48. I will just keep the UMC in the trunk. The fact it looks cool is just a bonus.