TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will there be another Tesla Wall Charger out soon?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by eSpiritIV, Jul 13, 2017.

?

Should I buy existing Tesla Wall Charger now?

1. Get it now!

46.4%
  2. Wait for a new charger announcement

53.6%
  1. jpoet

jpoet Member

2. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

3. Mishakim

Mishakim Member

I'm a little unclear on what the point of that is. It seems to just eliminate one breaker and some wiring, and only if your PV array is at the same location as where you need the EVSE. For that, it integrates two required but independent devices into one, so when one fails, you lose both. Mainly, I don't see that there's any power efficiency to be had in this arrangement.

To be useful, the EVSE should be before the inverter, so you can put the PV power (directly or from battery) into the car without first inverting it to AC. You'd still have some losses in the DC voltage change, but less than going DC to AC to DC.