Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will there be Roadsters at Cars & Coffee / car meets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in So Cal in the OC area, we got this thing called Cars & Coffee which meets at San Clemente Outlets. Mostly its a bunch of loud cars that are gas powered, not really much EV powered cars. I don't know if the Cars & Coffee crowd likes EVs even when they have the potential to outperform some of these gas guzzling cars that make tons of noise.

Do car guys who go to car meets even like fast cars or they just want loud cars? I feel Tesla is more loved by tech guys more than car guys. The guy who owns his own phone repair business & fixed my iPhone X screen has a Tesla Model 3, and he asked me about mine. He probably knows everything about tech news and speculations on new tech products.

I assumed there hasn't been much EV presence at car meets like Cars & Coffee because EVs are mostly targeted for commuter buyers more than sport car enthusiasts who follow Motor Trend checking cars like Toyota Supra, GTR, or Ferrari. The Roadster will finally be like a car guys EV car, so wonder how it will be perceived once it's available among modified Porsches. I remember some guy on Xbox Live / through a friend owns a new Mercedes C-class AMG that is fully modified. His engine is so loud if he starts it up, people in a shopping center will get scared and look at his car, it could be illegal or barely legal in terms of its loudness. But he says he likes gas cars because he can modify them and probably prefers his car to be loud.

I've taken my original Roadster to stuff like that in Seattle. People were always pretty welcoming and interested. This was long enough ago that most of them had never seen an electric car or heard of Tesla, so maybe it would be different now. But if I had to guess, I'd say that they'll be happy to have a new Roadster there.

I think you're making several huge assumptions, and as they say "there's lots to unpack here".

Teslas show up at C&C all the time. Car guys are just car guys (and gals), and just like cars. I don't think it has anything to do with loud, or fast, or whatever. People like seeing and learning about cars they haven't seen before or are fairly rare (which isn't so true of Teslas anymore).
When I first got my P85+ in 2014 I took it to a local car gathering like C&C, and there was Roadster there that I parked right next to. People liked seeing our cars as much as the Deloreans parked next to me. Nowadays with a Tesla it helps to have some sort of mod like a dip or wrap job, or other non-stock things, but even still, when people see my car, most of them say "WOW WHAT A HUGE SCREEN!", which has nothing to do with looks or speed or mods. At another show, one older guy asked me literally six different ways "there's no gas?" "there's no engine?" "there's no gas tank?"---and on and on.

Just let car people be car people.

Last edited:
I think you're making several huge assumptions, and as they say "there's lots to unpack here".

Teslas show up at C&C all the time. Car guys are just car guys (and gals), and just like cars. I don't think it has anything to do with loud, or fast, or whatever. People like seeing and learning about cars they haven't seen before or are fairly rare (which isn't so true of Teslas anymore).
When I first got my P85+ in 2014 I took it to a local car gathering like C&C, and there was Roadster there that I parked right next to. People liked seeing our cars as much as the Deloreans parked next to me. Nowadays with a Tesla it helps to have some sort of mod like a dip or wrap job, or other non-stock things, but even still, when people see my car, most of them say "WOW WHAT A HUGE SCREEN!", which has nothing to do with looks or speed or mods. At another show, one older guy asked me literally six different was "there's no gas?" "there's no engine?" "there's no gas tank?"---and on and on.

Just let car people be car people.
I couldn't agree with you more on this. Car people are car people. Our local Cars and Coffee and other car shows LOVE the variety. I see everything from old barn finds, to brand new Lamborghinis, all parked next to each other. Take your car out there, you'll enjoy it and you be surprised at how warmly you are welcomed.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I have been doing this for 8 years in Rancho Santa Fe, Ca. At first, the “organizers“ tried to keep me out, but eventually they lost control of the event and gave up. I show up at 7AM for an event that’s supposed to start at 9. Started with S, then 3, now Y. Can’t wait for the roadster.

I have been doing this for 8 years in Rancho Santa Fe, Ca. At first, the “organizers“ tried to keep me out, but eventually they lost control of the event and gave up. I show up at 7AM for an event that’s supposed to start at 9. Started with S, then 3, now Y. Can’t wait for the roadster.
Seems silly. Why would they keep you out? Kind of kills the point of having fun with other car fans in the community.

Reactions: HankLloydRight