Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will this 12V lead acid battery work for OEM replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I really like Duracell car batteries. I'm not interested in lithium based 12V batteries, just a simple replacement 12V lead acid battery since it seems difficult if not impossible to find Tesla OEM batteries outside of Tesla. Can you buy OEM lead acid batteries directly from Tesla outside of the warranty?

This is my 12V OEM battery: ATLASBX, 85B24LS, 45AH (20HR). Can you buy this particular battery at or outside of Tesla? It's so easy to replace car batteries, why is it seem so hard to find or buy the exact replacement battery?

Peter

I'm not interested in lithium based 12V batteries, just a simple replacement 12V lead acid battery
Keep in mind the battery management system is configured for the lithium battery that came with the car. So changing to a lead acid could be a problem.

I could but why can't they sell me the battery and let me install at my convenience?
They will sell the battery to you. A lot of people do just that. They pick-up the battery from a Tesla SC and then install it themselves.

When looking for a non-Tesla battery be very careful to ensure the battery size code is correct. The typical car battery is too big. You can do a Google Search using the OEM part number and might find what you need. But if the car is still under warranty the battery replacement is free.

Keep in mind the battery management system is configured for the lithium battery that came with the car. So changing to a lead acid could be a problem.
Mine (very early 2020) originally came with 12V lead acid battery. I've been reading that replacing 12V lead acid batteries with 12V lithium can be problematic because it can confuse Tesla computer thinking the new 12V lithium need replacement even though there's nothing wrong with it which is what I'm trying to avoid. Personally I prefer Lithium batteries but if they keep alerting you that the new lithium 12V battery need replacement even though there's nothing wrong with it, no thanks. I was very interested in Ohmmu battery but eventually it became problematic thanks to latest Tesla software updates.

How do you buy OEM batteries directly from Tesla? I don't see buying batteries using the Tesla app with a phone.

I'm simply preparing myself when my 12V OEM battery will start needing replacement outside of Tesla warranty.

Peter

Last edited:
Reactions: 3rror
How do you buy OEM batteries directly from Tesla? I don't see buying batteries using the Tesla app with a phone.

As my car is still under warranty I have not needed to do this. I would first try calling the Sevice Center or just stop by and go to the parts department if that is convenient for you. In the app I suggest going to Service > Request Service > Select Battery > then under “describe concern” I would enter something like “I want to purchase a 12v battery for my car and pick it up at my local service center.”

Good luck!

I'm simply preparing myself when my 12V OEM battery will start needing replacement outside of Tesla warranty.
Can just drop by service center if you're really close (risks them not having one in stock).

If not, can probably try requesting via the app. They can at least have it waiting for you. They've always been very responsive to app requests, for me.

If not, try to find a way to call them (I've had success getting through though haven't tried recently).

The OEM batteries are the cheapest option, and the least amount of fiddling on install (overpressure tube, etc.). Very little reason to not just go with that. Going aftermarket seems like a huge pain with no reward. And also costs 2-10x depending on what you get.

Mine (very early 2020) originally came with 12V lead acid battery. I've been reading that replacing 12V lead acid batteries with 12V lithium can be problematic because it can confuse Tesla computer thinking the new 12V lithium need replacement even though there's nothing wrong with it which is what I'm trying to avoid. Personally I prefer Lithium batteries but if they keep alerting you that the new lithium 12V battery need replacement even though there's nothing wrong with it, no thanks. I was very interested in Ohmmu battery but eventually it became problematic thanks to latest Tesla software updates.

Peter
You can request any replacement parts from Tesla from the mobile app, under Service. Just put a note that you want to order a replacement 12v lead acid battery and they will let you know when it is ready to pick up from a service center. If ordering any other parts where just the part name might not suffice to identify it correctly, give them the part number from the Electronic Parts Catalog.

Are Model Y owners still recommending replacing the lead acid battery every 2 years just to avoid problems? Waiting for the battery to fail under warranty means that I'll be stranded somewhere.
No and no. The battery life will vary based on how often it is driven and the temperature conditions where the car is driven and parked, along with some randomness. And Tesla has updated the monitoring and charging software over time so that the car is more likely to treat the battery better for longer life, and if it detects the battery failing will not let the car sleep so as to keep it from dying and not working for you.

The Duracell battery you linked to will work perfectly, but costs a lot more than the $85 Tesla will charge you for the OEM replacement battery that you can install yourself. That Duracell battery does not have a port to connect the vent hose like the OEM battery, so it will vent its gasses to the underhood area and can cause corroded battery terminals over time.

The Duracell battery you linked to will work perfectly, but costs a lot more than the $85 Tesla will charge you for the OEM replacement battery that you can install yourself. That Duracell battery does not have a port to connect the vent hose like the OEM battery, so it will vent its gasses to the underhood area and can cause corroded battery terminals over time.
Thank you for pointing this out about vent hose and I was wondering about it. So I guess this battery is not recommended even though Duracell makes excellent car batteries. I have Duracell battery in my 2006 Nissan Murano and it has been wonderful.

Peter

Last edited:
I have an MS, and so curiosity question. Isn’t the battery in newer M3s under the rear seat? If so I would think that vent hose would be important?
The low voltage batteries in all Teslas are and have always been in the frunk (with exception of early original Roadster). The vent hose directs any gasses vented during charging down below the driver headlight area so they don't collect and stay in the frunk area, where they could cause white buildup on the battery terminals or possibly be sucked into the cabin air intake. A lot of European cars have their 12v batteries in the trunk and also require them to connect to the vent hose so that the gasses don't collect in the cabin. You don't want to breathe in the vent gasses from a lead acid battery, and they can also be explosive.
Thank you for pointing this out about vent hose and I was wondering about it. So I guess this battery is not recommended even though Duracell makes excellent car batteries.

Peter
The only non-OEM batteries in group size 51R that I have seen with a vent port are AGM batteries, but they are pretty expensive (usually around $200). While I believe Tesla's OEM battery is not AGM, it is designed specifically to have a vent port. That's why if you can buy a replacement from Tesla for $85 that is the best deal. I would not hesitate to use a battery with no vent like the Duracell you linked to if I really needed the battery and could not find an AGM (or didn't want to pay the higher price for an AGM battery). Otherwise I would just pay more for the AGM battery. Just want to point out that other people have replaced their batteries with similar ones to the Duracell that don't have a port and they work fine, but I am unsure of the long-term effects of the vent gasses being expelled under the hood. You might be OK with just putting some battery terminal grease on the battery terminals to keep them from building up corrosion. But then it is also possible that the vent gasses can be sucked into the cabin air intake and you would be breathing them in.

Reactions: CJtes

I really like Duracell car batteries. I'm not interested in lithium based 12V batteries, just a simple replacement 12V lead acid battery since it seems difficult if not impossible to find Tesla OEM batteries outside of Tesla. Can you buy OEM lead acid batteries directly from Tesla outside of the warranty?

This is my 12V OEM battery: ATLASBX, 85B24LS, 45AH (20HR). Can you buy this particular battery at or outside of Tesla? It's so easy to replace car batteries, why is it seem so hard to find or buy the exact replacement battery?

Peter
You can just put in "other" a request for a 12v that you pick up. I did buy a Duracell a while back on sale at my local Sam's Club, which I use now for my standby generator. It's less than half the price of the one you listed. Not sure it's the same, but it sure seems to be; other than it's not "gold" or "ultra".
IMG_0623.jpeg

Reactions: android04
The Atlas mentioned above is the factory battery. In the specifications section of the manual it just says 33ah or greater and a 51R will be that. Another option is the DiehardEV battery which is an AGM battery sold by Advance Auto. The Ohmmu is the most expensive and advanced. It can be remote monitored via an app and soon will be updatable with software updates to the BMS via the app. Just follow the videos on how to change as one must also disconnect the HV battery (very simple to do). Lowest cost option - Atlas.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Another option is the DiehardEV battery which is an AGM battery sold by Advance Auto.

Not sure how much it matters but AGMs require a different charging profile and the one in the Model 3 (lead acid 12V) is not AGM (or VRLA/gel) so it may not work that well or may impact longevity. And might throw codes more readily too.

Not sure how much it matters in this case.

I recently had Tesla Mobile come out to my house and replaced the 12 battery for just over $100(part and labor).

I will also mention that if you do just buy the battery to install yourself, watch out for that vent! The little connector is easy to accidentally drop as the Tesla Mobile guy did... It took him about 20 minutes to find and recover it after it dropped down.

Why did Tesla make it difficult to use non standard battery? For ICE cars, it's so easy to find them, why can't Tesla do the same? Now, late Tesla cars use 12V Lithium batteries, I bet it's even harder and much more expensive to find them in local auto stores.

Peter

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Why did Tesla make it difficult to use non standard battery? For ICE cars, it's so easy to find them, why can't Tesla do the same? Now, late Tesla cars use 12V Lithium batteries, I bet it's even harder and much more expensive to find them in local auto stores.

Peter
It’s a standard size, but they don’t have an open engine compartment so it needs venting and that’s not as common (except the cars that put the battery in the trunk). Someone will eventually come along and sell one. But the new 12-ishV lithium probably not for a long time.

Reactions: android04
I didn't realized 51R batteries are found in some popular small cars like Honda. Looking at my Tesla 12V battery looks tiny compared to the large battery in my Nissan Murano.

Still it does not look easy to find 51R batteries with vent holes outside of Tesla. If my local Tesla SC doesn't have one in stock, it's not going to be fun finding one elsewhere.

Peter

Reactions: brkaus