Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still trying to decide if I should buy a HPWC or just install a NEMA 14-50, I stopped at the local hardware store and picked up on 14-50 outlet, it is different than the others i've seen and it doesn't say NEMA anywhere on it. I attached pictures and was wondering will this work if I got the 14-50 route or should I just get the HPWC?
20160904_144507.jpg 20160904_144526.jpg 20160904_144511.jpg 20160904_144459.jpg

That's a NEMA 14-50, yes. You should have no problem plugging your UMC into that, assuming you get it wired correctly with adequate wires and breaker.
We're building a garage now. We have a 200 amp breaker box in the house, running power to a 100 amp box in the garage, with a 50 amp breaker for that outlet, I think I'm repeating that correctly. I've been between the hpwc and this, because I was worried about the weight of the box on the included UMC charger, but I've seen a few videos on how to hack together a little shelf holder for the box so that should be ok.

We're building a garage now. We have a 200 amp breaker box in the house, running power to a 100 amp box in the garage, with a 50 amp breaker for that outlet, I think I'm repeating that correctly. I've been between the hpwc and this, because I was worried about the weight of the box on the included UMC charger, but I've seen a few videos on how to hack together a little shelf holder for the box so that should be ok.

That all sounds good. The UMC is actually pretty light and rather compact - given how substantial the 14-50 plugs are, I don't really think the strain of the UMC hanging from the plug will be much of an issue.

I've been using my 14-50 outlet for charging for four years now. I have never supported the box to help the plug. Those four big prongs have no trouble holding up that lightweight charge unit. I plug and unplug whenever I go on any longish drive, even with Superchargers, in case I need it. Just got back from a little 900 mile jaunt, plugged it in again, and it's charging.

I went with a metal box and the outlet that goes in a box, rather than the loose, cord end kind. A little more stable, maybe. But I may need that since I'm always unplugging and taking it with me.

14-50.jpg

The ideal solution is both HPWC and 14-50 on the same line. We have the HPWC mounted outdoors and it is very robust with a long cable. It's perfect for daily (nightly) use. The cables and adapters that came with the car remain in the trunk for charging while travelling. The 14-50 inside our garage is suitable for longer term storage of the car when we are away. It's also available for a visiting EV of any brand.

You really need a HPWC and keep the UMC in the trunk, in my opinion.

Reactions: GSP and nuevodesi
Actually, your photo shows "NEMA" on the face of the outlet. Tesla recommends outlets made by Cooper or Hubble because they are of higher quality. Be sure the wires are tightly connected. I saw one melted from a loose wire.
It utilitech a good brand? That is the brand I got. I'm not committed to it but it just seemed since I will be unplugging and plugging in that it would be more solid mounted to the wall. Speaking of that, how long is the UMC cord?

Actually, your photo shows "NEMA" on the face of the outlet. Tesla recommends outlets made by Cooper or Hubble because they are of higher quality. Be sure the wires are tightly connected. I saw one melted from a loose wire.
I can't find hubbell or cooper at the local home depot or lowes. Is there another brand that is high quality? I'm not sure why they wouldn't carry them.

Unless you need to frequently charge throughout the day (ie taxi driver, or delivery guy), there really is no need for a HPWC. In order for the HPWC to get maximum utility to you get to get the dual charger option on your Model S. Model X I believe dual chargers are standard.

Also note that the NEMA 14-50 that you showed needs to be installed upside down. The reason is that the mobile connector has the ground pin on the top. The receptacle that you bought looks to me like it would look a little strange mounted upside down.

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
When mounting an outlet is is best to place the ground prongs at 12 o'clock so that any conductor falling onto the pins from above will first hit the harmless ground and not a hot pin.

You should be able to find Hubbell at a regional electrical house. Hubbell have traditionally been the items of choice due to their high quality as compared to 'hardware store' minimal cost 'NEMA' compliant components. If all it can say is 'NEMA' on it do you really want it as the lifeblood connection to your cherished Tesla? (Apologizing in advance for the wretched excess . . . )
--

• Informative
You're overthinking this. All you need is a simple 14-50, made by a decent brand (check Amazon). It can charge at anywhere between 20-28 mph, which is plenty for daily needs. HPWC charges at a little higher rate but the primary use case is for overnight charging. So it doesn't really matter whether you fill 'er up in 4 hours or 7 hours. Unless, you arrive really late and have to get to work early within a few hours and you need a full charge.

For my daily needs, I can charge my 60 every 3rd day but I have made it a habit to plug-in every night. Hits 90 percent within 2 hours.

• Informative
In order for the HPWC to get maximum utility to you get to get the dual charger option on your Model S. Model X I believe dual chargers are standard.

Actually, the Model X has only a single charger - capable of 48 Amps normally, upgradable to 72 Amps (so 90% of the capability of a dual charger model S after the upgrade - and 20% faster than a single charger S standard.) These charging options appear to have carried forward into the refreshed Model S as well.

• Informative