Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will this 18x8 wheel and 255/55R18 tire combo work with MYLR?

I would like tires that perform better in the snow than the OEM all seasons for frequent driving to Colorado ski spots. I would rather not store the 2nd set of wheels/tires and found that the all-season CrossClimate SUV tire to be promising. My current 19s are fine, but I wouldn't mind a lighter wheel and a little more cushy ride.

I think I found a wheel/tire combo (18x8 +35mm wheels and 255/55R18 tires) that would work, but the size profile is a bit different than OEM. I have never bought aftermarket wheels and never got tires that weren't an exact match in outer diameter and want to know what I am getting into. I know it will reduce some wheel well clearance and the rotations/mile will be about 3% off per this site:

Attached is an image of the specific wheel and tire combo I am looking at. I am not attached to the wheel design... wouldn't mind a different look or even a bit wider one - this one is super light at 22.9lbs which is nice.

Does anyone have this wheel/tire size combo installed on a MY or otherwise have any words of wisdom? e.g. Can I get the CrossClimate SUV or similar performing all season on another wheel?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 18x8_255.55.jpg
    18x8_255.55.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 25

wackojacko

May 17, 2018
Toronto
I just mounted 235/55/r18 x-ice on 8 wide inch rims. They fit on the car (I test fitted rim before mounting rubber). The arrow 235/255 will be better in snow, and results in a closer overall diameter closer the the OEM 19" wheels on the Y.

There are the wheels:

somezorg

Nov 22, 2020
Ottawa
I would stay as close to oem diameter as possible. Last year I got

- Continental - Conti Viking Contact 7 - P235/55R18 XL 104H BSW
- Replika Wheels R187 Gun Metal wheel | 18X8.0, 5x114.3, 64.1, 35 offset

The 235/55r18 is almost exactly the same size as the oem 19s so there are no speedometer issues. Used them for 4 months so far and they were great.

Reactions: wackojacko

Stirfry

Oct 5, 2021
Edmonton
I would stay as close to oem diameter as possible. Last year I got

- Continental - Conti Viking Contact 7 - P235/55R18 XL 104H BSW
- Replika Wheels R187 Gun Metal wheel | 18X8.0, 5x114.3, 64.1, 35 offset

The 235/55r18 is almost exactly the same size as the oem 19s so there are no speedometer issues. Used them for 4 months so far and they were great.
I like these rims and price point....

Not sure if I'm getting a 2021 or 2022 VIN Model Y (LR) but I'm assuming that these will fit either...?

Stirfry

Oct 5, 2021
Edmonton
Right on both points, the price is right and they look amazing on the car. Mine is a 2021 LR, I haven't heard of any reason why they wouldn't fit a 2022. Btw I got them from PMC tire
Thanks! That's where I'm going to order (everything sitting in the basket right now). The only thing delaying me at this point is my EDD; it is bouncing between Feb and April 2022. I may just hold off until next fall haha.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC