Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will this 18x8 wheel and 255/55R18 tire combo work with MYLR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like tires that perform better in the snow than the OEM all seasons for frequent driving to Colorado ski spots. I would rather not store the 2nd set of wheels/tires and found that the all-season CrossClimate SUV tire to be promising. My current 19s are fine, but I wouldn't mind a lighter wheel and a little more cushy ride.

I think I found a wheel/tire combo (18x8 +35mm wheels and 255/55R18 tires) that would work, but the size profile is a bit different than OEM. I have never bought aftermarket wheels and never got tires that weren't an exact match in outer diameter and want to know what I am getting into. I know it will reduce some wheel well clearance and the rotations/mile will be about 3% off per this site:

Attached is an image of the specific wheel and tire combo I am looking at. I am not attached to the wheel design... wouldn't mind a different look or even a bit wider one - this one is super light at 22.9lbs which is nice.

Does anyone have this wheel/tire size combo installed on a MY or otherwise have any words of wisdom? e.g. Can I get the CrossClimate SUV or similar performing all season on another wheel?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 18x8_255.55.jpg
    18x8_255.55.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 378
I just mounted 235/55/r18 x-ice on 8 wide inch rims. They fit on the car (I test fitted rim before mounting rubber). The arrow 235/255 will be better in snow, and results in a closer overall diameter closer the the OEM 19" wheels on the Y.

There are the wheels:

I would stay as close to oem diameter as possible. Last year I got

- Continental - Conti Viking Contact 7 - P235/55R18 XL 104H BSW
- Replika Wheels R187 Gun Metal wheel | 18X8.0, 5x114.3, 64.1, 35 offset

The 235/55r18 is almost exactly the same size as the oem 19s so there are no speedometer issues. Used them for 4 months so far and they were great.

Reactions: wackojacko
I would stay as close to oem diameter as possible. Last year I got

- Continental - Conti Viking Contact 7 - P235/55R18 XL 104H BSW
- Replika Wheels R187 Gun Metal wheel | 18X8.0, 5x114.3, 64.1, 35 offset

The 235/55r18 is almost exactly the same size as the oem 19s so there are no speedometer issues. Used them for 4 months so far and they were great.
I like these rims and price point....

Not sure if I'm getting a 2021 or 2022 VIN Model Y (LR) but I'm assuming that these will fit either...?

Right on both points, the price is right and they look amazing on the car. Mine is a 2021 LR, I haven't heard of any reason why they wouldn't fit a 2022. Btw I got them from PMC tire
Thanks! That's where I'm going to order (everything sitting in the basket right now). The only thing delaying me at this point is my EDD; it is bouncing between Feb and April 2022. I may just hold off until next fall haha.

I would like tires that perform better in the snow than the OEM all seasons for frequent driving to Colorado ski spots. I would rather not store the 2nd set of wheels/tires and found that the all-season CrossClimate SUV tire to be promising. My current 19s are fine, but I wouldn't mind a lighter wheel and a little more cushy ride.

I think I found a wheel/tire combo (18x8 +35mm wheels and 255/55R18 tires) that would work, but the size profile is a bit different than OEM. I have never bought aftermarket wheels and never got tires that weren't an exact match in outer diameter and want to know what I am getting into. I know it will reduce some wheel well clearance and the rotations/mile will be about 3% off per this site:

Attached is an image of the specific wheel and tire combo I am looking at. I am not attached to the wheel design... wouldn't mind a different look or even a bit wider one - this one is super light at 22.9lbs which is nice.

Does anyone have this wheel/tire size combo installed on a MY or otherwise have any words of wisdom? e.g. Can I get the CrossClimate SUV or similar performing all season on another wheel?

Thanks in advance!
View attachment 913173

These are 18x8 MB Crux with 255/55-18 Vredestein Quatrac Pros from Discount Tire. Love the wheels. Like the tires. They are not great in the snow. I should've gotten CrossClimates (though I don't think they had this size at the time). When we go ski we take the wife's Honda Pilot with CrossClimate2.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
View attachment 913173

These are 18x8 MB Crux with 255/55-18 Vredestein Quatrac Pros from Discount Tire. Love the wheels. Like the tires. They are not great in the snow. I should've gotten CrossClimates (though I don't think they had this size at the time). When we go ski we take the wife's Honda Pilot with CrossClimate2.
picture didn't make it through to first post:
PXL_20220506_201539891 (1).jpg