Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will this cable and adapter work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanting to charge at a friends place that I spend the night at once in a while, and was going to plug into his dryer outlet. Would this cable and adapter work fine? (I would plug the UMC in with the standard 14-50 on it and dial back the car to 24 amps.)

Camco RV 50 30-Amp PowerGrip Extension Cord - Walmart.com

Camco RV 18 PowerGrip Dog-Bone Electrical Adapter - Walmart.com

Is this a good way to do it? My thinking was the 50 foot cable might come in handy sometime, and this way I don't have to buy the Tesla 30 amp adapter for the UMC. I know I could get a 50 amp cable, but for 50 feet it gets a bit pricy, and I can't see a situation where the extra charging speed would be crucial for me.

Figured I would grab this as well, just in case I ever need to plug into 14-50 and use the extension cord (again 24 amp charging from car)

Road Power 09529-33-88 50-30-Amp RV Power Adapter - Walmart.com

Thanks!

No, no, and no.
The extension cord is for TT-30 (a 120V outlet found at campgrounds) not a 14-30 which is the dryer outlet.
Tne adapter says it's rated for 120V, you need 240V.
The TT-30 to 14-50 adapter made for RVs does not work for Teslas.

Check out the adapters at evseadapters.com for what you need.

Read as the charging FAQ for more details.

Wanting to charge at a friends place that I spend the night at once in a while, and was going to plug into his dryer outlet. Would this cable and adapter work fine? (I would plug the UMC in with the standard 14-50 on it and dial back the car to 24 amps.)

Camco RV 50 30-Amp PowerGrip Extension Cord - Walmart.com

Camco RV 18 PowerGrip Dog-Bone Electrical Adapter - Walmart.com

Is this a good way to do it? My thinking was the 50 foot cable might come in handy sometime, and this way I don't have to buy the Tesla 30 amp adapter for the UMC. I know I could get a 50 amp cable, but for 50 feet it gets a bit pricy, and I can't see a situation where the extra charging speed would be crucial for me.

Figured I would grab this as well, just in case I ever need to plug into 14-50 and use the extension cord (again 24 amp charging from car)

Road Power 09529-33-88 50-30-Amp RV Power Adapter - Walmart.com

Thanks!

Most standard dryers in Ontario use a NEMA 14-30P plug 30 Amp 120/240 volt. This adapter looks like a 240 only perhaps a 6-30. I'd check with your friend.
Here's a link to the correct adapter. WARNING: probably not CSA approved....NEMA 14-30P to 14-50R EVSE Adapter, 30A,125/250V - Corddepot

Note: The Mississauga service centre still had some 14-30 adapters a month ago. I got one for my cottage:biggrin:

That combo will be very difficult to function in the manner that you are attempting as it is a TT-30 120v which is not related to any dryer NEMA 10-30 240V (1996 and earlier U.S. construction) 30A ungrounded receptacle nor a NEMA 14-30 120/240V ('97 later) 30A dryer receptacle.

I often deploy quickchargepower's 50’ UMC ($249 modification) or this:

14-50 adapters vs multiple extension cords - Page 2

as always, Tesla is against extension cord charging and if do not follow the manufacture guidelines, you are doing so at your own risk.

Wow, glad I asked before buying!

ok, how about this combo, car set to 24 amps, using UMC with 14-50 end.

Camco RV 30 50-Amp PowerGrip Extension Cord - Walmart.com

L14-30P Male to 14-50R Female 18 Dogbone (7235T) | Amazon.com: Outdoor Recreation

No and No. The first item is a 14-50 extension cord. The second plug is an L14-30P, which is used on generators. The plug should look like this
14-50P.jpg

Last edited:
Can you link a cord I would use with the Tesla 14-30 UMC adapter with?

I'm not sure what you mean.....you'd plug the UMC with the 14-30 adapter right into the dryer receptacle.
Are you asking about an extension cord? If so, A) Tesla recommends against it, and B) if you do so, you'd need a 14-30 male and female cord, probable at least 10 AWG.

I'm not sure what you mean.....you'd plug the UMC with the 14-30 adapter right into the dryer receptacle.
Are you asking about an extension cord? If so, A) Tesla recommends against it, and B) if you do so, you'd need a 14-30 male and female cord, probable at least 10 AWG.

Yes I would need an extension, as the dryer is inside the house. I haven't seen any 14-30 extension cords to buy, which is why I was going to go with a 50 amp extension with an adapter, and then just use my UMC with my 14-50 end.

This document will help you. It points to places you can buy these things.

http://cosmacelf.net/Home%20Made%20Adapters.pdf

First thing you need to do is find out exactly what kind of dryer plug your friend has. There are two different types, a NEMA 10-30 and a NEMA 14-30. The document shows you the difference.

Second, yes, a 240v, 50A extension cord is what you want.

Then visit cord depot or evseadapters.com and buy a 14-30P (or 10-30P) to 14-50R adapter.

The cord depot adapter you last linked to would work. And this one too from evseadapters. NEMA 14-50R to 14-30P or 14-50P Adapter

The Orangeville guy is not realizing you need to use an extension cord, so his advice won't work. Also Tesla is no longer selling the 14-30 adapter anyways.

As I said, make sure the dryer is a 14-30 instead of a 10-30. You can always buy both adapters.

Some people will say dire things about extension cords since Tesla says not to use them, but I believe they say that because 120v extension cords come in lots of different gauges and only the most heavy duty ones are appropriate to charge with. The 50A 240v extension cords are appropriately sized for Tesla charging. Just practice safe extension cord use. Set it up to minimize trip hazards. Check the outlet every once in a while to make sure the connections remain tight (ie. That no one tripped on it and pulled it partially out).

Or is that one really just a 50 amp extension cord with the neutral pin removed from the male end, is which case I could just buy a Cameo or other 30 foot 50 amp cord and remove that pin myself?

Yes and yes. Hack saw or sawzall with a metal blade works great for chopping off the neutral pin. If you do this, label it as Tesla charging only, never use it as a general 14-xx extension cord.

OK, just making sure I have this correct....

1. Order this Camco RV 30 50-Amp PowerGrip Extension Cord - Walmart.com or Amazon.com : Conntek RV 50-Amp 30-Feet Extension Cord with Ergo Grip and Power Indicator (Discontinued by Manufacturer) : Patio, Lawn Garden
2. Remove the neutral pin from the male end. (blade opposite the ground pin)
3. Now this cord can be used to charge from Nema 14-50 at 40 amps, or Nema 14-30 at 24 amps. (as long as I set it in the car first or it will try to pull 40)
4. Label this cord so nobody ever tries to use it as an RV cord, and a reminder to check car settings before charging.
5. No other adapters needed for Nema 14-30, and I could still potentially add an adapter to this cable to charge in a Nema 10-30, TT-30, etc.

Last edited: