TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Will this charging arrangement work?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ACExpress, Mar 8, 2017.

1. ACExpress

ACExpress Member

With delivery scheduled in 8 days, I just realized my electrical setup is not going to work. Here are the details:

- 14-30 dryer outlet in garage

- Dryer is using it, and plug-in area is hard to access regularly (requires climbing over or moving washer/dryer)

- Panel is full and addition of new 14-50 outlet would require more work than normal (will likely be house hunting in 6-8 months and don't want to invest too much in electrician)

- I'm not a big fan of making my own cord requiring any splicing or stripping of insulation.

I would like to extend the hard-to-access dryer outlet with this product: 14-30 Dryer / Range Extension Cords, 30A (125/250V) SJOOW

Once extended, I could plug in the dryer from the front where it's easy to access. To charge the car, I would unplug the dryer from the extension cord. I would plug the car into this product connected to the extension cord: Conntek 30A NEMA 14-30P to 50-Amp Electric Vehicle Adapter Cord for Tesla Amazon.com : Conntek 30A NEMA 14-30P to 50-Amp Electric Vehicle Adapter Cord for Tesla : Sports & Outdoors

I would set my charging to 24 amps with this arrangement. I will probably only charge from the garage once per week, so the dryer would be plugged in to the extension cord most of the time. Will this work?

The hardest to find part seems to be the extension cord. All other 14-30 extension cords on Amazon did not have the female part I needed to be able to plug in the dryer.

2. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Take a look at this website ... this product should solve your issue :cool:

Dryer Buddy
    Don't have a 240v outlet in your garage? Get connected with a Dryer Buddy! Allows your dryer and EV charging station to use the same outlet without constant unplugging and re-plugging! A handy Volt/Amp meter keeps you informed of the power flowing.

upload_2017-3-8_7-29-21.png

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  3. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

If you can track down the correct 14-30 UMC adapter, then you'd be able to use the Dryer Buddy and never have to remember to set it to charge at 24 amps since it would do limit it automatically. Also, there are cords such as this which remove the unnecessary pin and wire, that can be used on 14-30, 14-50 or 14-60 outlets: Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft.

4. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

I think the drier buddy is a worthwhile investment. Thank you guys for making me aware of same.

5. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

I would concur. Dryer Buddy is a good recommendation. However, I think they do have two types. One is a more basic model that just counts on you to remember not to run both things at the same time. If you did, it would (hopefully) trip the breaker. I don't know that I would count on that. I think it's called the "Deluxe" version of Dryer Buddy that includes a lockout type of toggle that will only allow one outlet to be active at a time. I would probably go with that for safety.

6. ACExpress

ACExpress Member

Thanks @FlatSix911
    I'll probably go with the Dryer Buddy (not the Plus or whatever). Because the car won't be plugged in and charging very often, I should be able to handle only running one at a time on a manual basis. For me, the whole solution is a temporary workaround for my current condo. Once we move later this year, I'll get the 14-50 outlet installed professionally.

My charging amps will not exceed 24, and the wife will be fully briefed on our new "no drying and charging at the same time" policy.

7. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

For about $20 of materials (10AWG wire, box extension for existing outlet, thinwall conduit parts, 4" box and outlet), you can simply extend the 30A wiring to another box surface mounted on the wall to one side or the other or above your dryer and install a new 14-50 outlet. All of that stuff is easy to do and even a Home Depot guy in the electrical dept can show you how to assemble everything properly. With that done, you can leave the dryer plugged in as normal and plug the car in easily. Mark the new outlet prominently as "30 AMP only" and remember not to charge at the same time as the dryer is in use. You would likely charge overnight anyway when no one is drying clothes.

A safer choice would be to buy a Tesla 14-30 adapter as soon as they offer it again (as part of an upcoming recall) and replace your 14-50 outlet with a 14-30 outlet. then the car would automatically limit power to a safe 24A.

8. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

You might be able to add a NEMA 6-20 outlet. It charges a bit slower (11 mph), but it is just as efficient. It only requires a 20 amp circuit, so you may be able to fit it in.

9. ACExpress

ACExpress Member

I went ahead with the Dryer Buddy order (#5). It's looking like a 3 week lead time is needed for delivery, so I'll be charging at a gain of 3 mph for the first couple weeks. My commute is short, and pleasure driving for the first bit can include routes with superchargers.

Thanks everyone for your help. I had done 2 or 3 hours of research and hadn't come across the Dryer Buddy (and don't want to make it myself due to time and quality concerns).

10. MorrisonHiker

If you have a 5-20 outlet in the garage, you could get a 5-20 UMC adapter from your local Service Center and bump the charge rate up to 5 mph.

Which version of the Dryer Buddy did you end up getting? The one with a 14-30 outlet (that you can use with a 14-30 UMC adapter) or the 14-50 outlet?

11. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

That's a good question because of these issues: The official Tesla 14-30 adapter to properly limit the current isn't even listed in the Tesla online store anymore--probably still involved in the recall stuff. So, @ACExpress , if you use the 14-50 and have to adapt it somehow, make sure to set the charging amps in the car to 24A to comply with the 80% rule for a 30A rated circuit.

• Like x 1
  12. ACExpress

ACExpress Member

I got the #5 which has a 5 foot cord which plugs into a 14-30, and then it has both the 14-30 and 14-50 outlets. I need the 14-30 outlet for the dryer and the 14-50 for the car. In my brief research, it was going to be a pain and/or just as expensive to find the Tesla 14-30 UMC adapter. Additionally, my current 14-30 outlet is obstructed and would be a pain to unplug the dryer every time I need to charge.

13. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I wasn't willing to risk two loads and hoping that the breaker trips properly, so I got the Dryer Buddy with the switch. Great device. I've been using it for about 6 months now. Really happy with it.

14. MorrisonHiker

I do have a 14-30 adapter that I've never used. Sounds like this is a temporary set-up for you anyways. I think it's a nice solution. Just remember to manually set your car to charge at 24 amps (and confirm after installing firmware updates).

15. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Well, the Tesla 14-30 adapter is available again.
    Tesla — NEMA 14-30

• Informative x 1
  16. ACExpress

ACExpress Member

I still would've purchased the Dryer Buddy for cord management/outlet reasons, but the manual amperage adjustment I'll need to make would've been taken care of for me.

17. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

I agree. Would have been nice to have the double 14-30, but close enough.