Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will this Model 3 be totaled by insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I'm new to the community and was looking to get a few points of view on if this is repairable. I was involved in an accident that did some damage to the front end. The fender and suspension look ok, but the airbags deployed and the front bumper and frunk were pushed in. Luckily, all the glass was intact. I'm hoping it gets repaired because it's hard to find new ones in my area. The car is barely 2 weeks old and I'm still awaiting a decision from my insurance. I recently registered with them so they're still trying to find the info they need to move forward with processing the claim.

Any thoughts from those who have experienced something similar would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

IMG_3913.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3914.jpg
    IMG_3914.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 186
Absolutely; but crush cans and other front end parts are just as — if not more - expensive than the airbags.

In fact, in our deer-vs-car repair, the most expensive part by far were the headlights. $1100/ea, whereas the airbag was $750.

Seatbelt tensioner was $153, and seatbelt itself was $163.

Certainly adds to the cost but that’s really all it is - just another part in the equation …
It's $20k worth of repairs for a deer hit on a Buick, at less than $50/hr labour rate. I can see why so many "lightly damaged" teslas are totalled then. Great info!

Reactions: dmurphy
Upvote 0
Inflation would make them LESS likely to total it. The car is worth more than it was just a year ago, too.

Stock market has nothing to do with it.

It’s simply a matter of which option is cheaper for them: repair, or total it. Since it’s now worth more, they are more likely to repair it.

It’s not rocket science.

I’m seeing really bizarre comments here.
inflation in labor costs and parts prices in addition to supply chain issues will drive up the repair cost more than the increase in the value of the car.

Upvote 0
Hello all, I'm new to the community and was looking to get a few points of view on if this is repairable. I was involved in an accident that did some damage to the front end. The fender and suspension look ok, but the airbags deployed and the front bumper and frunk were pushed in. Luckily, all the glass was intact. I'm hoping it gets repaired because it's hard to find new ones in my area. The car is barely 2 weeks old and I'm still awaiting a decision from my insurance. I recently registered with them so they're still trying to find the info they need to move forward with processing the claim.

Any thoughts from those who have experienced something similar would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 810940
So, what was the insurance company conclusion?

Upvote 0
Base on my own experience last month, it really depends on the frame. There's 2 steel frame right behind bumper and if they are bended/damaged, they have to remove everything all the way behind dashboard to replace it. That's where the money is and reason of why it may be totaled. Mine is.

Upvote 0