Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will this PPF self heal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this today. Looks like someone banged into my door. AFAIK this blemish is the film and not the underlying paint. This is Suntek film. Does anyone know if this will self-heal (presumably in the summer heat)?

Thanks. IMG_20171125_092856.jpg

I noticed this today. Looks like someone banged into my door. AFAIK this blemish is the film and not the underlying paint. This is Suntek film. Does anyone know if this will self-heal (presumably in the summer heat)?

Thanks.View attachment 262683
All PPF is self healing to a point. Unfortunately a nick like that may not completely go away. It will reduce in appearance slightly ( the minor white scratches in it will disipate) but you may be left with a scar.

In this case the PPF did its job, it’s a sacrificial layer protecting your original paint.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
Just for the record, that will not self heal. Your options are to replace the piece and say the film saved my original paint job, money well spent, or to reduce its appearance, pick up some touch up paint from the dealer and drop a small dab over the area. It should blend in just fine.

When the film gets frayed like that it sticks out more, especially in the middle of the door.

Just for the record, that will not self heal. Your options are to replace the piece and say the film saved my original paint job, money well spent, or to reduce its appearance, pick up some touch up paint from the dealer and drop a small dab over the area. It should blend in just fine.

When the film gets frayed like that it sticks out more, especially in the middle of the door.

I considered putting some paint over this. Any concerns with how that paint will interact with the PPF?

Real simple and if you make a mistake you can remove it. Practice a couple of times on a piece of paper. One coat is all and no
'blobbing'. For redos, a little gasoline in a towel can dab it off. The xpel film can handle it, but no hard rubbing. just a dab.

Sometimes when a bumper has a wierd chip, we put the film on first and then use the touch up paint on the XPEL. The bottom line is- that the repair has to look better than doing nothing. (even if only 10% better)

Real simple and if you make a mistake you can remove it. Practice a couple of times on a piece of paper. One coat is all and no
'blobbing'. For redos, a little gasoline in a towel can dab it off. The xpel film can handle it, but no hard rubbing. just a dab.

Sometimes when a bumper has a wierd chip, we put the film on first and then use the touch up paint on the XPEL. The bottom line is- that the repair has to look better than doing nothing. (even if only 10% better)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I meant to say that, since the installer inspected it, did he have any recommendations to improve the appearance?

His feedback was similar to what others have said here:

• It won't heal
  • It won't get worse
  • The paint underneath should be just fine
He suggested that they could remove some of the excess to reduce the white appearance, but I've opted to leave it alone for now. I do like the idea of possibly putting a little paint over it.