Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will TSLA hit $280 by end of March?

Will TSLA hit $280 by end of March?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well we still have 17 trading days to find out. Seems like an eternity now in TSLA time. I would be shocked if we managed to stay relatively flat for that period of time. Barring no fire like incidents, I see no reason for any prolonged dips either.

Yea, enthusiasm can get a bit carried away here. Before the Q4 ER, I remember at least one person claiming there would be a huge GAAP profit and we didn't even get close to that.

However, $280 is only a little over 10% away. I wouldn't bet against it, though I wouldn't bet for it either.

This comment not aimed at you ckessel. Just quoted you, because you brought up GAAP numbers.

I have said this many times before and I will say it again:

Nobody cares about GAAP profits!

Wall St. does not look at GAAP profits.

Wall St. has its own ways of valuing companies and they use non-GAAP methods if it makes sense.

And there is an infinite amount of ways to do non-GAAP. So one person's non-GAAP is not necessarily the same as the others. Companies do their own version of non-GAAP and analysts usually just use those numbers.

I know that many people disagreed with my about the importance of GAAP numbers. But if there is still somebody out there who disagrees with me then I have one question for you:

How come TSLA is at $250 if GAAP numbers are relevant at all?

This comment not aimed at you ckessel. Just quoted you, because you brought up GAAP numbers.
Someone here was forecasting a huge GAAP beat (.25 GAAP profit). Not that GAAP is important, just that some expectations were crazy high. I could have hunted down the non-GAAP forecast by the same person, but it wasn't readily in my head.

If you were just using my post as a segue to talk about GAAP's value (or lack thereof), no problem.

Your target price of $280 is a 10.7% rise from today's closing price of $253. So, with seventeen trading days remaining to your terminus, and with a recent share price history as volatile as Tesla's has been, an affirmative answer to your question is as likely as it is...I otherwise respectfully will say...quite inane.

I voted "I don't know". Because really, I DON'T KNOW! Anyone who answers "Yes" or "No" must think they're Nostradamus. Now, if the question was "Do you think TSLA will hit $280 by end of March"....

Seems that a definition of "poll" is in order (American Heritage Dictionary):

A survey of the public or of a sample of public opinion to acquire information

Also, we aren't 100% certain that the NHSTA will give tesla the all clear., right?

This is the exact reason why clearance isn't "priced in". As long as anyone is saying, 'wait if it isn't all clear that will hurt the stock', the clearance isn't priced in. Full stop. The uncertainty has cost. So it's a faith issue. If you think it will be cleared then you should be long and should reasonably expect the stock to go up.

I voted yes simply because I think we have a technical bull flag forming. This sideways trading show there is instant price support for (the neighborhood of) the recent ATH. That means nervous shorts and sideline money will slowly learn they have no advantage in waiting to get in. Any break up will be reinforced by covering and sideline money chasing the momentum. (a break down will have similarly bad reinforcing effect unfortunately).

While I completely agree with your assessment it would be nice for Tesla to reach GAAP profitability if simple to eliminate the short FUD that Tesla is "Losing Money on every car" headline.
But that's exactly what gross margin ​tells us: Tesla is making a lot of money on each car. It's not worth arguing with journalists who don't understand basic accounting principles. Frankly, it's odd that such people end up on the business beat.

More specifically, will TSLA hit an intraday high of $280.00 or higher between now and the end of March, 2014?

Note: poll ends on March 20, 2014. Votes are made public for entertainment purposes. Do not base trading or investment decisions on this info as it for purely speculative/fun purposes.

according to the IB Probability Lab which gets its measurements from current option prices it says that there is about a 15% chance right now (with TSLA trading at 247) that TSLA will end up above 280 by the end of trading on Friday March 28th.

Probability Lab

But that's exactly what gross margin ​tells us: Tesla is making a lot of money on each car. It's not worth arguing with journalists who don't understand basic accounting principles. Frankly, it's odd that such people end up on the business beat.

Yes, I understand this and so does everybody here but the general public doesn't. I have talked to numerous people about Tesla as a car an as an investment and one response I often get is "Yeah, but they are losing money on every car." I then go into the explanation of GAAP vs. NON-GAAP, gross margins, etc. and their eyes just glaze over. It would be nice to get the monkey off of Tesla back from strictly a PR point of view.

As another person with only technical background I voted yes because I believe that market did not grasp the enormity of impact that the giga factory could have on the future of automobile and utilities industries. Even thoughtful team from Morgan Stanley, which seems to understand Tesla's Motors story much better than others, were taken by surprise with additional details released during the Giga-Factory announcements, enough so to issue a second report on TSLA in a course of a week. I think that it will take couple of weeks for this to sink in.

Quoting the March 5 Morgan Stanley report:

Is Tesla Motors an energy company?​
Not exactly. But the success of the Gigafactory holds the key for the development of an entirely new industry. If Tesla can achieve battery cost per kWH below $150 and defend the IP, there is significant potential for revenue streams not captured in our $320 price target. What have we learned from Tesla’s recent Giga announcements?

1. Tesla’s 2020 vehicle production target of 500k is 35% higher than our 371k unit forecast
  2. Tesla’s projected 50 GWh of annual battery production (pack level) from its Gigafactory by 2020 is more than double our forecasts.
  3. Tesla’s target for >30% reduction in cost per kWh appears vs. a base of around $200/KWh planned by first Gen 3 production in 2017, implying costs <$150/KWh once ramped up.

Last edited:
As another person with only technical background I voted yes because I believe that market did not grasp the enormity of impact that the giga factory could have on the future of automobile and utilities industries. Even thoughtful team from Morgan Stanley, which seems to understand Tesla's Motors story much better than others, were taken by surprise with additional details released during the Giga-Factory announcements, enough so to issue a second report on TSLA in a course of a week. I think that it will take couple of weeks for this to sink in.

Quoting the March 5 Morgan Stanley report:

Is Tesla Motors an energy company?​
Not exactly. But the success of the Gigafactory holds the key for the development of an entirely new industry. If Tesla can achieve battery cost per kWH below $150 and defend the IP, there is significant potential for revenue streams not captured in our $320 price target. What have we learned from Tesla’s recent Giga announcements?

1. Tesla’s 2020 vehicle production target of 500k is 35% higher than our 371k unit forecast
  2. Tesla’s projected 50 GWh of annual battery production (pack level) from its Gigafactory by 2020 is more than double our forecasts.
  3. Tesla’s target for >30% reduction in cost per kWh appears vs. a base of around $200/KWh planned by first Gen 3 production in 2017, implying costs <$150/KWh once ramped up.

i agree with the MS report...but I don't think this realization will happen to the markets by end of March...perhaps as more details come out (ie. State/location picked, official partners, breaking ground at the location, etc)

i would love love to be wrong, but we've just had a nice run up from 120s-250 in 2-3 month period so I think the stock is due for sme exhale and resting before the next run-up...hopefully within a few months as the details come out to catalyze it

Yes.

Firmware 6, NHTSA clearance, Halo effect from SpaceX reusable test, News out of China, State and Partners announced for Gigafactory.

Too many shorts blindly chasing price without understanding of what moves this stock.

I think the default bear argument is that you can hide some of the cost of the car if you want to do dirty accounting. The easiest places to hide are R&D budget and possibly in some other line items. So if you play the books and lie you can make the company look heavily profitable on gross margin, but you cannot on operating margin. Of course noone here believes this **** as operating cash flow is positive and Tesla is pretty clear what they account to where and how, but as long as the FUD spewers have any levers they'll keep spewing. Once Tesla is GAAP positive the last arguments are weakened.

Btw I've not done the math recently, but isn't car sales gross profit already higher than R&D costs as otherwise we'd not be seeing non-GAAP positive EPS with positive cash flow. In any case, the arguments are weak and FUD, but it's best to just utterly destroy those arguments ;)