Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will TuneIn and Slacker require an additional fee when premium runs out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pay for Spotify Premium, so I know I am covered there, but will the other 2 streaming services require a fee also when my premium runs out in May if I pay for the premium?
I though I read here that someone lost access to Slacker at some point.

I pay for Spotify Premium, so I know I am covered there, but will the other 2 streaming services require a fee also when my premium runs out in May if I pay for the premium?

My understanding is, there is no streaming media through the car with standard connectivity so I would expect it to not be available through the car. You could still use bluetooth to connect through your phone I would suppose.

That was not the question. I asked if I continue to pay for premium when it runs out, will there be a separate fee for Slacker and TuneIn?

Your right, I dont understand the question. Under premium now, we dont have to pay for tune in or slacker, and if you let premium lapse, there is no access to streaming through the car, so no slacker or tune in.

Maybe someone else can provide a better answer for you, sorry.

I was downgraded from Slacker Premium to Basic recently. Tesla says that the free Slacker Premium is for the first year only and is not part of the Premium Connectivity package. So, yes, you need to pay subscription fees (just like you do Spotify) to get Premium-level services from Slacker.

I was downgraded from Slacker Premium to Basic recently. Tesla says that the free Slacker Premium is for the first year only and is not part of the Premium Connectivity package. So, yes, you need to pay subscription fees (just like you do Spotify) to get Premium-level services from Slacker.

Thanks Datoda, this is what I was looking for. Don't know why I see such a wide variety of conflicting answers.
Slacker is surely not worth paying extra for after having to pay 10 bucks per month just for the ability to stream. Spotify is.

Tesla doesn't come with a Slacker Premium plan. That is something you must buy. The Slacker that comes is an OEM version and not one of the plans. Are you saying that you after your Premium subscription renewed you are now hearing adds between tracks on Slacker, can't skip forward more than 5 times per day and can't ask to play a track (although semi broken on Slacker and Spotify right now)?

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 7.39.13 AM.png

Reactions: jjrandorin
Bought car in September with the free slacker OEM no ad service. I bought the pay per month premium connectivity when announced a few weeks ago. As of today, slacker is now basic with ads. Use Tesla Login just times out. I guess the premium connectivity monthly does not have slacker OEM level access and therefore wipes out your slacker oem ad free experience. Kind of a bummer because while I initially hated slacker, I've come to like it a lot. Not enough to buy a seperate plan for it. Not sure why tesla would be willing to give you something for free and then stop giving it once you are bn paying for it.

Bought car in September with the free slacker OEM no ad service. I bought the pay per month premium connectivity when announced a few weeks ago. As of today, slacker is now basic with ads. Use Tesla Login just times out. I guess the premium connectivity monthly does not have slacker OEM level access and therefore wipes out your slacker oem ad free experience. Kind of a bummer because while I initially hated slacker, I've come to like it a lot. Not enough to buy a seperate plan for it. Not sure why tesla would be willing to give you something for free and then stop giving it once you are bn paying for it.

What about TuneIn radio, does that still work?

Tesla had an exclusive agreement with slacker for years, which included the "free" plus-level accounts.

Presumably that agreement is over now that they're no longer exclusive in the US

2013 S owner here; I use TuneIn all the time. And Tesla's implementation of it is so buggy it's infuriating, as there is little hope the bugs will ever get fixed, and reliability of TuneIn as implemented by Tesla has gone downhill steadily over the years. Dumb stuff. Forgetting you were listening to a podcast, forgetting you were 1hr 12min 5sec into it. Random but increasingly frequent instances of "Loading failure" for many radio stations and podcasts even when there is plenty of cellular data signal, etc. Service centers don't care ("oh that's software") and the engineers don't seem to care ("Elon wants us writing video games or doing Netflix") and ... well... grumble.

I'd be very disappointed if they started charging for TuneIn and didn't fix the bugs.