Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will TuneIn and Slacker require an additional fee when premium runs out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pay for Spotify Premium, so I know I am covered there, but will the other 2 streaming services require a fee also when my premium runs out in May if I pay for the premium?
I though I read here that someone lost access to Slacker at some point.
Slacker works with the premium connectivity subscription, it's just the basic version but there are no extra fees and no ads..it works great.

Slacker works with the premium connectivity subscription, it's just the basic version but there are no extra fees and no ads..it works great.

First of all, it is not the basic version, it is a special Tesla version between free and premium.

You really were not listening though. It seems when premium runs out, even AFTER you continue to pay for premium, Slacker will no longer be the special Tesla version without ads. You are paying for premium continuation to get you LTE connectivity. It does not get you any additional streaming services such as Slacker or Spotify. I am trying to find out if TuneIn will still work. Still no answer here yet.

Yes, Slacker will work, but it will be the free one with ads, as long as you pay the 10 bucks per month for connectivity.

First of all, it is not the basic version, it is a special Tesla version between free and premium.

You really were not listening though. It seems when premium runs out, even AFTER you continue to pay for premium, Slacker will no longer be the special Tesla version without ads. You are paying for premium continuation to get you LTE connectivity. It does not get you any additional streaming services such as Slacker or Spotify. I am trying to find out if TuneIn will still work. Still no answer here yet.

Yes, Slacker will work, but it will be the free one with ads, as long as you pay the 10 bucks per month for connectivity.
You're not listening to me or the other people trying to be helpful and answer your questions. I'm telling you that I have a premium connectivity subscription. I still get the tesla slacker version without ads. I also still get tune in. No addition account / charges required.

I doubt they’re paying the regular price but I’m pretty sure it is the same plus plan that anyone can buy.

...It seems when premium runs out, even AFTER you continue to pay for premium, Slacker will no longer be the special Tesla version without ads. You are paying for premium continuation to get you LTE connectivity. It does not get you any additional streaming services such as Slacker or Spotify. I am trying to find out if TuneIn will still work. Still no answer here yet.

Not the case for me. I purchased my 3 in Nov 2018. A month or so ago I got the notice that my one year Premium was expiring so i paid up. The Slacker streaming in the car has continued without interruption and the features are unchanged. FWIW I recently subscribed to Slacker plus service for my godson when i visited him over the holidays and as nearly as I can tell it is essentially the same music service once i turned off the news and DJ features. The Slacker on my 3 is definitely NOT the Basic service with ads.

Reactions: goletaspring
Not the case for me. I purchased my 3 in Nov 2018. A month or so ago I got the notice that my one year Premium was expiring so i paid up. The Slacker streaming in the car has continued without interruption and the features are unchanged. FWIW I recently subscribed to Slacker plus service for my godson when i visited him over the holidays and as nearly as I can tell it is essentially the same music service once i turned off the news and DJ features. The Slacker on my 3 is definitely NOT the Basic service with ads.

Excellent, good to know. Not sure why others did lose the "plus" version. And yes, the Tesla is a form of the plus version. I guess it's a crap shoot.

Excellent, good to know. Not sure why others did lose the "plus" version. And yes, the Tesla is a form of the plus version. I guess it's a crap shoot.
I think it might be possible to “sign out” of the Tesla account (for example, if you want to enter your own slacker sign in). Maybe if you do that and don’t get re-connected to the Tesla account, you end up on the free Slacker. There is s a way to find out what your car’s slacker account is, but you’d have to search to see how (or chat Tesla CS).