Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will U.S. Spec 2022 Model 3 work in Japan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI everyone, I'm currently in the U.S and have a 2022 Model 3, but got orders to Misawa Air Base in Japan. I love my Tesla and don't want to have to sell it so I was wondering if anyone knew if I'd run into any issues bringing a U.S spec Tesla to Japan and what I might need to do to get to work properly?

HI everyone, I'm currently in the U.S and have a 2022 Model 3, but got orders to Misawa Air Base in Japan. I love my Tesla and don't want to have to sell it so I was wondering if anyone knew if I'd run into any issues bringing a U.S spec Tesla to Japan and what I might need to do to get to work properly?
Different countries present some challenges such as:

Sim card
Maps
Charging compatibility outside of US bases: I assume US military bases around the world still use the US electric standards.
Services...

Hi @Ampd3 what is the timing of your deployment? I’m living in Japan but will return to the U.S. later this year. I have a Black JDM 2019 Model 3 LR with 45K Km (about 27K miles) that I will sell before I return home. So if you decide you need to sell but would like to pick up a Model 3 here, let me know. It is garaged and in pretty pristine condition, has an extra set of rims and snow tires, which you’ll need in Aomori, and adapters for when you need to use the Chademo chargers when a supercharger is not near. I haven’t decided on pricing yet, so… negotiable!

Reactions: PStewart
@Ampd3, welcome to Japan (too early?)!
So basically,, the US SIM doesn't work in Japan,, so your car will be disconnected unless you have a WiFi router in the car. The charging system is the same as that of the U.S., so the connectors are the same, and you will be able to use superchargers in Japan. However I've heard that Tesla doesn't support imported Teslas.

There is at least one of my acquaintances (friend of friend) in Misawa with his imported Tesla, so I can introduce to him. DM me if you are interested.

Reactions: PStewart
Sorry for the late reply, AD US here station in Yokota. I imported my TMY and so far so good. I was connected with the Misawa by a friend and had an importer. No modifications needed and with an E plate. My issue that I will ran into is I am not electrically inclined so I have to find resources soon.

Sorry for the late reply, AD US here station in Yokota. I imported my TMY and so far so good. I was connected with the Misawa by a friend and had an importer. No modifications needed and with an E plate. My issue that I will ran into is I am not electrically inclined so I have to find resources soon.
Hi Jim,
We did a little research on importing tesla to Japan. It seem I will need to pay 10 % sale tax. Talking about the cybertruck that we want to import to Okinawa. Great if you can share your experience with us.