Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will updating to 2022.8.2 remove me from the FSD Beta Queue??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been really hopeful that I’d get the FSD Beta that rolled out here in Canada over the past few days. Today I checked my car and I have a software update available, but unfortunately it’s 2022.8.2. Just wondering, if I update to this version is it going to prevent me from getting 2022.4.5.20, or has that ship apparently sailed?

The only example anyone has cited of a downgrade of firmware was during an FSD rollout last year where a SERIOUS bug was introduced.

So I think, yes, all evidence would indicate that if you update to 2022.8.2 you are officially NOT going to get 2022.4.5.20 in this push for FSD Beta.

The Tesla fan in me would say that V10.12 of the beta or V11 of the beta might go to firmware 2022.8.XX and you’d be “eligible” again, but who the hell knows. The company seems completely lost on how to handle the beta right now.

Reactions: Peripatetic
Honestly I would feel so much better if there was just transparency about who gets selected, and how. If safety score doesn’t cover all the actual selection criteria, why even bother with it? All it does is give people who have been waiting *years* false hope that their wait might soon be over, only to find out that they’re going to have to wait even longer and be disappointed again. Don’t get me wrong, I have loved every day of Tesla ownership, but this is a bit frustrating. I would love if safety score would tell you all the hoops you need to jump through, instead of just the basics.

Pretty sure 2022.4.5.17 is the group that’s going to get accepted to beta in the US. I’d put money on it.

-It’s all low milage people, probably recent buyers that are waiting for their chance at the beta
-not specific to Ryzen because I’m a 2022 from December with the intel chip, So it’s not specific to hardware
-It’s a small subset being held back from .18 and 8.2. And I know there are a lot of people waiting for beta in .17
-there are already Canadians on beta from .17

Just my opinion.

Pretty sure 2022.4.5.17 is the group that’s going to get accepted to beta in the US. I’d put money on it.

-It’s all low milage people, probably recent buyers that are waiting for their chance at the beta
-not specific to Ryzen because I’m a 2022 from December with the intel chip, So it’s not specific to hardware
-It’s a small subset being held back from .18 and 8.2. And I know there are a lot of people waiting for beta in .17
-there are already Canadians on beta from .17

Just my opinion.
Nah. As I stated in another “whoa is me” FSD beta thread, I have a 2021 MYP (non FSD car) on .17. I also have a 2021 Plaid with FSD and a safety score of 100 for over a month that just updated to 2022.8.2. The MYP is always last to get any updates, likely because of different chips used during manufacture - because of shortages. Code has to be written for these bastard cars after the fact, due to the one off chips used.

So, I pee on the thought that .17 is the queue for .20! 🤣

Last edited:
Nah. As I stated in another “whoa is me” FSD beta thread, I have a 2021 MYP (non FSD car) on .17. I also have a 2021 Plaid with FSD and a safety score of 100 for over a month that just updated to 2022.8.2. The MYP is always last to get any updates, likely because of different chips used during manufacture - because of shortages. Code has to be written for these bastard cars after the fact, due to the one off chips used.

So, I pee on the thought that .17 is the queue for .20! 🤣
welp, with the huge push to 2022.8.2 today, id say your plaid is out of the running for now, or they are going to bring X and S from a different one since there are literally zero s or x with .17. dont know about your MYP.

My theory still stands. .17 has been upgraded to nothing BUT the beta so far. It's literally the only version in the last 3 months, that HASN'T had a single update to 2022.8.2

Reactions: HappyPanda
welp, with the huge push to 2022.8.2 today, id say your plaid is out of the running for now, or they are going to bring X and S from a different one since there are literally zero s or x with .17. dont know about your MYP.

My theory still stands. .17 has been upgraded to nothing BUT the beta so far. It's literally the only version in the last 3 months, that HASN'T had a single update to 2022.8.2
Time will tell!

Someone else already referenced it, but when 10.3 FSD beta was released, there was a serious bug where FCWs were happening left and right, along with hard phantom braking. Tesla immediately stopped the rollout. They also pushed a non-FSD branch to the people already on 10.3. Not everyone accepted it for the same fear of not being able to get back onto an FSD build. But those fears turned out to be unfounded. All the people who took the non-FSD firmware were pushed an FSD firmware.

I suspect once you're in the program, you're on a dedicated FSD beta list. And they use that list to send future FSD updates. Even if you get pushed a non FSD update, like 2022.8.2, or the service center has to put you on a temp non-FSD firmware for diagnostics or whatever, you'll eventually get a push to FSD beta because you're still on the allow-list for FSD beta releases.

Only way to get off that list is to request it. Even strikeouts don't remove you, since we've seen tesla clear the strikes in 10.8 for people who were locked out, and they didn't have to re-enroll with the safety score.

I agree... there is defiantly a sub set of cars on .17 that do not have FSD or the sub, which is a bit perplexing. it is defiantly the case people on .17 are being held back from 8.2, it SEEMS mostly likely this is in preparation for beta so thats my assumption but who knows really lol.

to the cars that are on .17 but dont have FSD, it COULD be the case that that group is the cars they WANT to give beta access to and are hoping that those users will sub? but that seems like a bit of a reach lol

...likely because of different chips used during manufacture - because of shortages. Code has to be written for these bastard cars after the fact, due to the one off chips used....
I've heard the chip thing before that doesn't make a ton of sence, they wouldn't write 2 firmware versions they would just include support for both types in the production line. multiple production lines would be a nightmare to maintain, that said, its not impossible there is some compatibility issue they are working out with 8.2, but that doesn't explain the 21/22's on 8.2 already so i'm not sold there either lol.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc

Biggest reason to me that .17 isn't the beta line is that it's only pushed to model 3 and Y. My guess is we aren't getting 11.1 and they will be pushing 10.12 or 10.11.2 which will be on the 2022.8 branch.

That was probably the reason for the delay too, they are planning to let more people in and we're keeping them on a lower version, but internally the decision was made to move FSD to the 2022.8 branch so they could update the cars.

Reactions: jebinc and TankCa
Honestly I would feel so much better if there was just transparency about who gets selected, and how. If safety score doesn’t cover all the actual selection criteria, why even bother with it? All it does is give people who have been waiting *years* false hope that their wait might soon be over, only to find out that they’re going to have to wait even longer and be disappointed again. Don’t get me wrong, I have loved every day of Tesla ownership, but this is a bit frustrating. I would love if safety score would tell you all the hoops you need to jump through, instead of just the basics.
Well said. Tesla needs to behave like a 1TB company now ;). All the FSD payers need to be treated equally. I believe transparency will help a lot. Customers shouldn't be begging information from tweets...
PS: I still love my Tesla car.

I missed delaying one night so got moved to 2022.8.2. Sigh.

On the plus side, does everyone remember that cool animation the 3/Y got a year ago when you entered the car, but it wasn’t in drive? Kind of a top-down, diagonal view that spins around to show the rear of the car once you put it in drive?

Yeah my Legacy X just got that, but of course no Sentry Live View, blind spot camera, or anything useful. Wheeeee…

Reactions: jebinc