Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will US Superchargers DOUBLE in 2014 over 2013 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CONGRATULATIONS: QUITE AN ACHIEVEMENT

I highly doubt that the superchargers installed to date (December 3, 2014) serve 80% of the U.S. population. Further, a quick look of Tesla's map for 2014 shows superchargers installed along, for example, I40 between New Mexico and Oklahoma, and I10 between Texas and Florida, or the stretch of road between Kansas City and Kentucky. These do not exist to date, but for one supercharger under construction in Louisiana. These routes are just examples of routes Tesla indicated to have superchargers installed by the end of 3014.

My understanding is that over 50 percent (actually 52%) of the US population lives within 50 miles of an ocean, and in 20% of the country's land area (excluding Alaska).
http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/population.html
http://www.livescience.com/18997-population-coastal-areas-infographic.html

So in reviewing the current Tesla Supercharger MAP:
** The East coast is covered by Superchargers, except for the upper part of Maine's wilderness (pop. 1,328 K).
** The West Coast is covered by Superchargers. Period.
** The Gulf Coast does have some spots that need to be filled in, and Tesla has a couple underway that may still be completed before the end of the year.

Let's remove both Alaska (pop. 735 K) and Hawaii (pop. 1,404 K) from this discussion as Alaska is vast and very spacious wilderness, and Hawaii because each Island is small enough to cover on a single charge from home, and about 80% of their entire State's population is on Oahu.
And let's also remove Puerto Rico (pop. 3,615 K), because it is similar to each of the Hawaiian Islands, not being part of the lower 48 contiguous states.

IF we use the criteria that each of the largest population by state in descending order for the top 25 States, we note that Western and the Panhandle portions of Texas (#2) is not covered (those areas are very rural/desert/mountainous), then dropping down to Western Tennessee (#17) (Memphis) is not covered, Southern Missouri (#18) is not covered, and upper Minnesota (#21) is not covered.
Continuing on, Southwest Alabama (#23) is not covered, and the majority of Louisiana (#25) is not covered.
The rest of the Top 25 States (by population) are fully covered.
The next 25 (or so) states comprise pop. of roughly 58 M, and several of those are already fully covered/connected: OR, CT, IA, UT, KS, NE, WV, NH, RI, DE, DC and VT (virtually pop. 24 M), so that number drops to ~34 M out of 308 M total for the US.

IF we are using the criteria that the ALL current 4 major sports leagues locate their team franchises in cities with populations large enough to support them, I notice ONLY three US cities that are currently not served by the Supercharger NETwork: New Orleans (Saints and Pelicans), Memphis (Grizzlies) and OKC (Thunder).
(My apologies to several (4) Canadian cities with NHL teams that are currently not connected, but the established criteria is US population).

So, IMHO, (without being an apologist) YES Tesla has already met and exceeded their goal of 80% coverage of US population by the end of 2014.
In fact, quite a bit earlier than December 3, 2014.

Is there room for improvement and further connection? Ubetcha.
Are there some routes that still need better connectivity? Ditto.
Are there some very large land areas that need to be covered? Yes, but they are generally highly rural/mountainous/desert/wilderness in nature.
Do I wish Tesla's Supercharger map was a bit more accurate in its depiction of forthcoming Superchargers? Sure.
Do I (personally) want to be able to (occasionally) get "off" the 'Texas Island' strictly using Superchargers? Duh...

My Glass may not be completely full, but according to the above math, it is certainly well over 80% (probably over 90% full).
Stand by for further successes and Supercharger accomplishments in 2015.

So, IMHO, (without being an apologist) YES Tesla has already met and exceeded their goal of 80% coverage of US population by the end of 2014.

Which is true as long as no one in those populated areas wants to get from one coast to the other without a long detour (Yes, there are some folks that won't go out of their way driving through South Dakota). The forth largest city in the U.S. is Houston and it's only connected to Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas.

As Volker has pointed out, patience is a virtue. We all should be thankful for Tesla has accomplished. It is far above any other automaker or charge network provider.

We can also look forward to what is coming.

GSP

290 worldwide operational SCs
31 under construction (plus phantom SCs)
16 under licensing (plus phantom SCs)
337 total
Its a safe bet that by years end there will be over 300 operational worldwide and 350 at least under licensing (with the phantoms, we might already be over 350 total, considering China SCs just go live without any prior hint)

Need another 50 new SCs in critical places in North America to fill in the blanks.

I've been very pleasantly surprised by the recent boom of SCs here in New England. Since Labor Day we've gone from four SCs along the south coast (handy for some, but primarily serving NY Metro drivers) to a nice network, with two operational (W Hartford, Sagamore MA), three under construction (Auburn MA, Hookset NH, Brattleboro VT), one in permitting (Springfield MA), and well-founded rumors of contract negotiations in Portsmouth NH and Portland ME. Someone's been very busy at Tesla, and we owe him/her/them a big thank you.

THANK YOU!