Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will US Tesla work in Europe?

Will a US purchased Tesla work in Europe if shipped there?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, these apparently do exists. I would be careful. My guess is Tesla will disable Supercharging by blocking out-of-region VIN's from using the Supercharger if these adapters become to mainstream. After all, 120 kW is not something to toy with.
They work, but only at general, public chargers, which are not only slow, 32kw/h but also hard to use, because there are at leat 50 different owners, who all let you charge only with their charging card and -app. Siudden running out of juice is not recommended.

They work, but only at general, public chargers, which are not only slow, 32kw/h but also hard to use, because there are at leat 50 different owners, who all let you charge only with their charging card and -app. Siudden running out of juice is not recommended.
That is not actually true.

You can use SC, ionity or what ever other charging station on your route, with CCS2 plug
In work fine both on IONITY and Superchargers
Just need small 10 size key

I Saw your post and want to share my experience, so I add my notes to yours.
Hope this helps others in the same situation.

We had 3 US models and we can give the following feedback:

- No warranty work would be done?

Correct, Tesla does nothing!
- Tesla have all the services on my car in Norway. But they don't want to change Navi etc. And its not under warranty here, so have to pay for it.

- Tail lights need to be swapped?

Correct, we had modified the US version but use EU version if available and if it fits
- I use the US tail lamps. did not need to do anything.

- Need some sort of special adapter for supercharging to work?

We never tried supercharging because we were afraid to damage the battery or something else. EU version 2 phase charging / US version 1 phase charging.
- I have the adapter that is mentioned in this thread and it works perfect. My car has free supercharging and it still does here in Europe. Have driven and used the superchargers in Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

What isn't clear to me is:

- Do autopilot / FSD features work?

Yes, it worked with our vehicles
- Works fine

- Is there a way to get European data to work reasonably? Does the US SIM work there? How do you make it work?

Not really, we modified the vehicle to have wifi and it just worked when the vehicle was parked (not possible to do a hotspot by phone and use it while driving)
- I have changed the SIM and the LTE module in the MCU so it works like normal.

- Do you get updates on wifi?

It was necessary to modify something, I don’t know exactly what
- The updates comes as normal when connected to wifi.

- Is there anything else to retrofit?

To register the vehicle in Germany you need a special report that confirms all parts that didn’t had EU homologation.

You need to change the fluid of the air condition, light check, ….. etc.. For the first check we paid +- 15.000,00 €, every additional vehicle that needed this report was +- 5.000,00 € (I guess…)
- It depends on the country. it costed €2000 to register the car in Norway.

- Does the supercharging adapter still work & where do you buy one for a reasonable price?

We don’t know but I heard about “Juice booster”
- Adapter works :)
Xantos, I brought my MY from the US to Sicily and I seem to be having issues with installing the OTA updates. I saw it download but it has yet to be installed. I called Tesla US and EU and neither seem to be able to help with this issue. They just keep telling me to contact the opposite country.
I bought a wifi hotspot solely for the functionality and OTAs but have yet to have success with the updates.
Have you or anyone come across this issue or were you able to successfully install any OTA updates without any issues?

I Saw your post and want to share my experience, so I add my notes to yours.
Hope this helps others in the same situation.

We had 3 US models and we can give the following feedback:

- No warranty work would be done?

Correct, Tesla does nothing!
- Tesla have all the services on my car in Norway. But they don't want to change Navi etc. And its not under warranty here, so have to pay for it.

- Tail lights need to be swapped?

Correct, we had modified the US version but use EU version if available and if it fits
- I use the US tail lamps. did not need to do anything.

- Need some sort of special adapter for supercharging to work?

We never tried supercharging because we were afraid to damage the battery or something else. EU version 2 phase charging / US version 1 phase charging.
- I have the adapter that is mentioned in this thread and it works perfect. My car has free supercharging and it still does here in Europe. Have driven and used the superchargers in Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

What isn't clear to me is:

- Do autopilot / FSD features work?

Yes, it worked with our vehicles
- Works fine

- Is there a way to get European data to work reasonably? Does the US SIM work there? How do you make it work?

Not really, we modified the vehicle to have wifi and it just worked when the vehicle was parked (not possible to do a hotspot by phone and use it while driving)
- I have changed the SIM and the LTE module in the MCU so it works like normal.

- Do you get updates on wifi?

It was necessary to modify something, I don’t know exactly what
- The updates comes as normal when connected to wifi.

- Is there anything else to retrofit?

To register the vehicle in Germany you need a special report that confirms all parts that didn’t had EU homologation.

You need to change the fluid of the air condition, light check, ….. etc.. For the first check we paid +- 15.000,00 €, every additional vehicle that needed this report was +- 5.000,00 € (I guess…)
- It depends on the country. it costed €2000 to register the car in Norway.

- Does the supercharging adapter still work & where do you buy one for a reasonable price?

We don’t know but I heard about “Juice booster”
- Adapter works :)
Xantos, I brought my MY from the US to Sicily and I seem to be having issues with installing the OTA updates. I saw it download but it has yet to be installed. I called Tesla US and EU and neither seem to be able to help with this issue. They just keep telling me to contact the opposite country.
I bought a wifi hotspot solely for the functionality and OTAs but have not had success with the updates.
Have you or anyone come across this issue or were you able to successfully install any OTA updates without any issues?

I bought a wifi hotspot solely for the functionality and OTAs but have yet to have success with the updates.
You can try with WiFi connected to US VPN, that may help.

This what I was think too, would Tesla uses the IP address or the car GPS to determine the update region?

I think, the IP address is simpler to filter, but Tesla migh uses instead the VIN number to retreive which update should be used?

If this can help, I use a GL MT1300 for VPN purpose.

Last edited:
This what I was think too, would Tesla uses the IP address or the car GPS to determine the update region?

I think, the IP address is simpler to filter, but Tesla migh uses instead the VIN number to retreive which update should be used?

If this can help, I use a GL MT1300 for VPN purpose.
I wish I would've known about this earlier. I just bought a wifi hotspot from Vodafone.
I'll try to use my phone's VPN and see if I can download the update.

I wish I would've known about this earlier. I just bought a wifi hotspot from Vodafone.
I'll try to use my phone's VPN and see if I can download the update.
I wonder if the Vodafone hotspot might be a Cellular 4G LTE type?

In this case the GL equivalent should be the Puli (GL-XE300) 300 Mbps or the GL-MiFi 150 MBps, but I never used any of them.

You better do NOT do any OTA. Tesla might block you from SC everywhere, like they did to my Tessi. The recent update is encrypted so almost no Hacker can take Teslas malware off. Tesla EU provides no guaranty, no service and no spare parts to Cars purchased for a different country than EU.

You better do NOT do any OTA. Tesla might block you from SC everywhere, like they did to my Tessi. The recent update is encrypted so almost no Hacker can take Teslas malware off. Tesla EU provides no guaranty, no service and no spare parts to Cars purchased for a different country than EU
When I first brought my US Spec to Europe I had to sign some document at the service center to allow them to change something to so that I could install the updates. I just have to connect to my cell phone wifi and they download, then I update. I've been doing that for over 2 years now in Germany.