Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will using a sunroof shade with solar reflector put sunroof glass at risk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read about the risk of using tint on the M3 sunroof, glass heating up to much and cracking, also voiding the factory warranty. Instead of tint I'm considering a sunroof shade:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097BFGW9...olid=21D21ZUYM0O6R&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This is 2 layers, the top layer being reflective. Does anybody have information on the potential risk of these shades causing the glass to heat up too much and causing damage? This would be used without tinting the windows. Thanks

I am also interested in this discussion.

I just purchased something similar, and the reflective silver lining got me worry too.

If tinting the roof cause some of them to crack, the heat that will be trapped between the glass and the silver lining is so much hotter!
It will be a small green house there!!

As of now, I am leaving the lining there, but if the mesh without the lining is effective enough, maybe I will just leave the lining out....

Reactions: ehadrive3
I am also interested in this discussion.

I just purchased something similar, and the reflective silver lining got me worry too.

If tinting the roof cause some of them to crack, the heat that will be trapped between the glass and the silver lining is so much hotter!

As of now, I am leaving the lining there, but if the mesh without the lining is effective enough, maybe I will just leave the lining out....
I agree, probably safer to use without the reflective liner.

The air gap would be negligible. Most of the heat in the interior of the car is from the interior components getting heated by sunlight and subsequently hearing the air. If a few inches of air could heat that much from sunlight, our atmosphere would be an oven.

I haven't seen any data to suggest that tinted sunroofs are more likely to break nor have I seen any studies or analysis that explain the mechanics of such a failure. Why would such a failure be limited to sunroofs. I'd expect to see a lot of tinted rear glass on a lot of vehicles failing as well.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I have been using this one for about 3 months now, with the reflective layer installed, in the NM and AZ sun and have not had any problems yet. I did not install the rear one, just the one over the front seats, the rear one blocks too much of the view out the back for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1M95Y4X/ref=cm_sw_r_api_i_1Q2ESADPY04RXA7AYX8Z_1?psc=1
Great, thanks for the Amazon link. Much appreciated. I was looking for a light colored one to match the interior, this looks perfect.

I have been using this one for about 3 months now, with the reflective layer installed, in the NM and AZ sun and have not had any problems yet. I did not install the rear one, just the one over the front seats, the rear one blocks too much of the view out the back for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1M95Y4X/ref=cm_sw_r_api_i_1Q2ESADPY04RXA7AYX8Z_1?psc=1

I bought these too! They’re en route right now. How easy is it to put them on and take them off? I may need the rear ones for when I park in the California desert sun, but I’d rather have a clear view of the back when driving.

I bought these too! They’re en route right now. How easy is it to put them on and take them off? I may need the rear ones for when I park in the California desert sun, but I’d rather have a clear view of the back when driving.
I like the idea of using only the front one to not impede rear window visibility. Also I’ve heard using the front one improves the acoustics of the car since there’s no reflective glass over your head music sounds better.

Reactions: Hiline

They are very easy to put in and take out, the shade goes in and stays pretty well on its own, and then you install the little plastic clips that slide in between the headliner and the glass to hold them in securely. To remove, just slide the little clips out and pull the shade down from the corners. It is like a sunshade with the spring wire around the edges, you can in theory fold them up with a butterfly motion to twist them in to a circle, but that is kind of difficult. I just leave the front one in all of the time, but I was able to fold the rear one back up to store it.

I tried the back one, but found like some of the reviews say, that it sags a little in the middle at the back and I wish it would have been slightly smaller so as to not make the rear window look so small / short.

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline