Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will using Netflix wear out the screen faster

SSedan

Jul 24, 2017
Greenville Wisconsin
Do you "wear out" your computer monitor or TVs?

I had seen a post about some sort of rewritable memory in MCU1 that was suceptible to wearing out and failing after years of constantly overwriting bit not the screen.

Reactions: boaterva

jerseygirl18

jersey girl
Aug 21, 2019
Delray Bch/Chicago/Brklyn
First of all ,you don't "need" updates unless there is an error or something useful like 200-250kW charging.o Netflix and YouTube are useless to me (and should be to everyone)because they will only shorten the life span of the MCU and monitor. This will bring a repair cost of upwords 4000$. I'd rather use my 300$ 12" Tablet for that. You should alsdisable advanced update settings - let other people be the Beta Testers...

Sounds like the biggest b.s. I’ve heard in a while. ;)

I would not worry about it. It’s no difference for the screen what kind of pixels it displays.

I found the quote...what is your impression?

jerseygirl18

jersey girl
Aug 21, 2019
Yeah, it’s a normal display. Speed doesn’t kill. :D
TimothyHW3 said:
First of all ,you don't "need" updates unless there is an error or something useful like 200-250kW charging.o Netflix and YouTube are useless to me (and should be to everyone)because they will only shorten the life span of the MCU and monitor. This will bring a repair cost of upwords 4000$. I'd rather use my 300$ 12" Tablet for that. You should alsdisable advanced update settings - let other people be the Beta Testers...
what's your take on his approach to this?

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you for your support to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

boaterva

Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
First, there are always tons of bug fixes in releases that we never hear about. All we know about is the visible stuff like Netflix, games, etc.

Second, turning off Advanced won’t change anything, you just won’t get a new release on the same schedule.

LEDs are usually good for 100K hours. That’s 10 years (approximately). Not going to waste time on specifics but you still either have a warranty or will get a new car most likely before it’s out of warranty. If you do plan on keeping the car for years and years you will probably then purchase an extended warranty.

Anyway, how many hours are you planning on sitting in a Supercharger watching Netflix? Unless your job is in sales or something, most people don’t Supercharge THAT much and the novelty of these new toys will wear off.

Edit: googling now shows me 50,000 hours which is about 5.7 years continuous usage. That’s a lot of screen time.

To add about the logging, doubt Netflix is an issue as it probably logs only on and off for a session. I know detailed logging of other items is an issue. We need someone with root access to see what is being logged for the new additions (games and video).

Last edited:

TimothyHW3

Jun 2, 2019
Germany
Sounds like the biggest b.s. I’ve heard in a while. ;)

I would not worry about it. It’s no difference for the screen what kind of pixels it displays.
This is because I was misquoted...:)

@boaterva
The quote about advanced was off topic also. We were discussing updates and I suggested to disable advanced and let others be beta testers and only get the stable releases after a major update and once the servers have pushed the updates around.

Last edited:

TimothyHW3

Jun 2, 2019
Germany
Do you "wear out" your computer monitor or TVs?

I had seen a post about some sort of rewritable memory in MCU1 that was suceptible to wearing out and failing after years of constantly overwriting bit not the screen.
Exactly, the MCU. I am not sure how they do it on a 3, but on the X and S you had to replace the whole screen and the MCU, because the EMC (think of SSD) was soldered to the board. The only thing that they changed with 3 was the EMC can take more writes now. But it is still not replaceable on its own.

Depends on how many hours it was on, used to die on S and X about 4-5 years in. Mostly right after the warranty of 4 years. Cost was about 2.500 to 3-4000$. Tons of videos and posts, just Google Tesla EMC MCU.

Call me a "conspiracy theorist", but if Tesla knew that they have a MCU problem(in the tens of thousands) and they did not design the EMC to be replacable(very easy fix) or just disabled the OS logs(which have zero value), and just increased the write cut off to be after warranty, to me this is a planned obsolescence like Apple does it.

Here is the video on the topic about the 7-8 minute mark.

Also running a high definition movie or games will stress out the GPU and CPU and wether the MCU was designed to handle overheating like you have it on a laptop where you would expect these things is another question. But the main problem remains - the EMC will keep logging in, the more hours you keep the monitor on. And I can only assume, that if you run high demanding apps on the MCU, the OS logging will increase. I personally wouldn't risk a 3000$ replacement, which I can easily fix with a 300$ Tablet I already have, that works perfectly with the sound system over BT(tested already on our Norway trip and sleep over:)

Edit: oh, you quoted me in the X subforum. Then definitely - Netflix will definitely speed up the EMC decay. If you have the old MCU, most likely, I would do yourself a favor and not use the monitor when not needed.

Last edited:

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
Exactly, the MCU. I am not sure how they do it on a 3, but on the X and S you had to replace the whole screen and the MCU, because the EMC (think of SSD) was soldered to the board. The only thing that they changed with 3 was the EMC can take more writes now. But it is still not replaceable on its own.

The screen on a Model 3 is completely separate from the MCU computer. (And can be replaced very easily without pulling the dash apart.) But the AP computer and MCU computer are sandwiched together as one unit and liquid cooled. So I don't know if you can replace one side or the other or if Tesla will only replace it as an entire assembly.

S4WRXTTCS

May 3, 2015
Snohomish, WA
Not very likely at all.

It really comes down to what's the weakest element.

It's obviously not the LCD as its likely rated for >50K hours of use. That's a really long time.

It's not playing back movies as it's not that processor intensive as it uses a SOC (system on a chip) that is optimized for decoding compressed video and playing it back.

There are much bigger concerns like the yellowing of the LCD that has nothing to do with how much you use it.

You have the MCU2 so thankfully you don't have any of the issues that plagued the MCU1.

jerseygirl18

jersey girl
Aug 21, 2019
First, there are always tons of bug fixes in releases that we never hear about. All we know about is the visible stuff like Netflix, games, etc.

Second, turning off Advanced won’t change anything, you just won’t get a new release on the same schedule.

LEDs are usually good for 100K hours. That’s 10 years (approximately). Not going to waste time on specifics but you still either have a warranty or will get a new car most likely before it’s out of warranty. If you do plan on keeping the car for years and years you will probably then purchase an extended warranty.

Anyway, how many hours are you planning on sitting in a Supercharger watching Netflix? Unless your job is in sales or something, most people don’t Supercharge THAT much and the novelty of these new toys will wear off.

Edit: googling now shows me 50,000 hours which is about 5.7 years continuous usage. That’s a lot of screen time.

To add about the logging, doubt Netflix is an issue as it probably logs only on and off for a session. I know detailed logging of other items is an issue. We need someone with root access to see what is being logged for the new additions (games and video).
great response Thanx

Reactions: boaterva

TimothyHW3

Jun 2, 2019
Germany
The screen on a Model 3 is completely separate from the MCU computer. (And can be replaced very easily without pulling the dash apart.) But the AP computer and MCU computer are sandwiched together as one unit and liquid cooled. So I don't know if you can replace one side or the other or if Tesla will only replace it as an entire assembly.
Yes, I later saw that they quoted me in the X sub. There is actually a 20 page discussion on the eMMC issue here and if affects models built late into 2018, probably out of cost savings. Even though we don't know what is going on with the 3, I would still play it safe until we do.

You have the MCU2 so thankfully you don't have any of the issues that plagued the MCU1.
No, this is not true. In the thread I mentioned above and in the video - Tesla replaced the eMMC with a bigger one, but this will only prolong it's life, the logging is still there. And whereas we had S and X MCUs failing around the 4-5 year mark without games and Netflix, adding Netflix and games during charging will probably lower the advantage due to longer screen time.

But if you have MCU1 I will definitely not watch any Netflix...

But to each their own, even on MCU2 I wouldn't risk a 3000$ replacement+labor just to watch Netflix for 20 mins each time I charge.

boaterva

Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
Yes, I later saw that they quoted me in the X sub. There is actually a 20 page discussion on the eMMC issue here and if affects models built late into 2018, probably out of cost savings. Even though we don't know what is going on with the 3, I would still play it safe until we do.

No, this is not true. In the thread I mentioned above and in the video - Tesla replaced the eMMC with a bigger one, but this will only prolong it's life, the logging is still there. And whereas we had S and X MCUs failing around the 4-5 year mark without games and Netflix, adding Netflix and games during charging will probably lower the advantage due to longer screen time.

But if you have MCU1 I will definitely not watch any Netflix...

But to each their own, even on MCU2 I wouldn't risk a 3000$ replacement+labor just to watch Netflix for 20 mins each time I charge.
MCU 1 doesn’t have any of the Video options. For speed issues, browser issues, or logging issues, who knows.

TimothyHW3

Jun 2, 2019
Germany
Oh, didn't know that. But these are a lot of vehicles, I was under the impression that most Tesla's got Netflix etc.

Well, I guess the eMMC might be one of the reasons for it, I don't think Tesla wants that many replacement units at once...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC