TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will Version 8.0 impact range and efficiency?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jlutzwpi, Sep 26, 2016.

1. jlutzwpi

jlutzwpi Member

Since I've received Version 8.0, I've noticed that my efficiency (Wh/mi) isn't as good as it normally is, which could be completely circumstantial. However, it got me thinking: now that the new functionality of Autopilot relies more on the forward-looking radar, I'm assuming more power is being used to radiate further distances (for longer) to pick up cars ahead of the car in front of you. Not only that, but that leads to increased processing of additional "targets" that the forward looking radar and its associated processing equipment initially weren't doing.

Does anyone think that the additional power to the radar and the additional processing could be impacting efficiency, and thus, range?

2. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

No, not even close... We're talking about completely different amounts of power draw between driving and the radar. Also, I highly doubt there is any increased electrical usage to enable the new radar functionalities... If anything Tesla may be more accurately accounting for your actual usage in 8.0... For instance, HVAC draw has never been included in the calculations unless the car was moving... Perhaps now it's being included regardless, just an idea...

Jeff

3. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

And regen is definitively a bit better...

4. ShotgunF15E

ShotgunF15E Member

Yea, you're little radar is now capable of cooking hotdogs on a stick....lol

5. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Energy usage differences will be imperceptible between 7.1 and 8.0.

Any appearance otherwise is circumstantial or...delusional :).

• Like x 1
  6. jlutzwpi

jlutzwpi Member

Well then, an added use case for the forward looking radar....

7. MikingCO

MikingCO Member

Interestingly (and quite insignificantly), when I did a full charge of my 60D on 7.1, it gave me 219.56 miles of rated charge which was displayed as 220 miles. Since 8.0, I am still getting 219.56 but now it defies all laws and rounds down the display to 219. So yeah, we can difinitvely say that 8 is impacting range.

8. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

My 90% charge is the same.

9. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

I don't know that that's true.

For once, when people say that regen is different after the update, it actually will be. (There is a note at the bottom of the release notes stating that regenerative braking, if set to "standard", will be stronger, or something to that effect.) Depending on how one drives, and how often one regeneratively brakes, and how well, this actually could have a positive impact on efficiency.

10. flashflood

flashflood Member

I can't feel any difference in regen between 8.0 and prior versions, using standard mode in both cases. I believe them that it's better, but it's not subjectively different, at least to me -- and I've got 45,000 Tesla miles of experience with it.

11. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1751721/