Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Version 8.0 impact range and efficiency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I've received Version 8.0, I've noticed that my efficiency (Wh/mi) isn't as good as it normally is, which could be completely circumstantial. However, it got me thinking: now that the new functionality of Autopilot relies more on the forward-looking radar, I'm assuming more power is being used to radiate further distances (for longer) to pick up cars ahead of the car in front of you. Not only that, but that leads to increased processing of additional "targets" that the forward looking radar and its associated processing equipment initially weren't doing.

Does anyone think that the additional power to the radar and the additional processing could be impacting efficiency, and thus, range?

No, not even close... We're talking about completely different amounts of power draw between driving and the radar. Also, I highly doubt there is any increased electrical usage to enable the new radar functionalities... If anything Tesla may be more accurately accounting for your actual usage in 8.0... For instance, HVAC draw has never been included in the calculations unless the car was moving... Perhaps now it's being included regardless, just an idea...

Jeff

Since I've received Version 8.0, I've noticed that my efficiency (Wh/mi) isn't as good as it normally is, which could be completely circumstantial. However, it got me thinking: now that the new functionality of Autopilot relies more on the forward-looking radar, I'm assuming more power is being used to radiate further distances (for longer) to pick up cars ahead of the car in front of you. Not only that, but that leads to increased processing of additional "targets" that the forward looking radar and its associated processing equipment initially weren't doing.

Does anyone think that the additional power to the radar and the additional processing could be impacting efficiency, and thus, range?

Yea, you're little radar is now capable of cooking hotdogs on a stick....lol

Interestingly (and quite insignificantly), when I did a full charge of my 60D on 7.1, it gave me 219.56 miles of rated charge which was displayed as 220 miles. Since 8.0, I am still getting 219.56 but now it defies all laws and rounds down the display to 219. So yeah, we can difinitvely say that 8 is impacting range.

Energy usage differences will be imperceptible between 7.1 and 8.0.

Any appearance otherwise is circumstantial or...delusional :).

I don't know that that's true.

For once, when people say that regen is different after the update, it actually will be. (There is a note at the bottom of the release notes stating that regenerative braking, if set to "standard", will be stronger, or something to that effect.) Depending on how one drives, and how often one regeneratively brakes, and how well, this actually could have a positive impact on efficiency.