Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will wait time for phone to Tesla Service ever improve ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know you can make appts on the website, but there have been several times when I've had to call Tesla Service to ask a question. Each time I've been on hold at least 25min. That's a long time. Will this ever improve ? What would it take for them to implement a system where you can choose to be called back ? I've tried calling the roadside assistance number and choosing the "have a question option" (not the emergency option) and it is even longer. I understand that with all the recent Model 3 deliveries the system is taxed but I'm concerned that this will never improve ?

I've had a Tesla since Jan 2013 - and this is a new problem - likely caused by the rapid increase in vehicles with Model 3 production.

To support the rapidly increasing number of vehicles, Tesla will need to shift more to using online scheduling for service appointments and provide more of the service using their mobile service vehicles - so they can quickly support the accelerating pace of Model 3 production.

They went through production hell last year. Over the last few months they've been going through delivery hell. And the wave now is starting to hit the service centers, impacting all customers.

Tesla continues to have strong brand loyalty, so give them some time to sort this out - and let's see if they can get back to a reasonable response time in a few months.

I've had a Tesla since Jan 2013 - and this is a new problem - likely caused by the rapid increase in vehicles with Model 3 production.

To support the rapidly increasing number of vehicles, Tesla will need to shift more to using online scheduling for service appointments and provide more of the service using their mobile service vehicles - so they can quickly support the accelerating pace of Model 3 production.

They went through production hell last year. Over the last few months they've been going through delivery hell. And the wave now is starting to hit the service centers, impacting all customers.

Tesla continues to have strong brand loyalty, so give them some time to sort this out - and let's see if they can get back to a reasonable response time in a few months.

Agreed. This problem never used to exist. I also assume it has allot to do with all the model 3's out now. Would be nice if you had the option of booking an appointment over the app

Individual service centers have gone through rough periods before - which Tesla was able to address.

This time - it's different.

As locations start seeing Model 3 deliveries, the number of vehicles supported by each Service Center increases rapidly. This is putting straining customer support and service network in North America now - and will start impacting everywhere else next year.

And, this time Tesla is continuing to increase production - so they'll be facing these challenges more quickly now.

At the same time, Tesla is pushing to achieve profitability - which makes it more difficult for them to add infrastructure (service centers, mobile service vehicles, staff).

But, Tesla has a huge advantage over ICEs - the amount of service and support required for each vehicle is significantly less than for an ICE. And many of the issues can be handled over the phone or by a mobile service vehicle - not requiring going into a service center. So the amount of infrastructure investment needed by Tesla should be considerably less than the ICE manufacturers.

The next few months could be challenging in some locations - but for Tesla to survive (they are now outselling Jaguar worldwide, and BMW/Mercedes in the US), they'll have to figure this out.

For now, it may be a little frustrating to get support and service - though with Tesla's track record so far, it's likely they'll work this out - and continue to provide the service and support that has resulted in strong customer loyalty.

<snip>
But, Tesla has a huge advantage over ICEs - the amount of service and support required for each vehicle is significantly less than for an ICE. And many of the issues can be handled over the phone or by a mobile service vehicle - not requiring going into a service center. So the amount of infrastructure investment needed by Tesla should be considerably less than the ICE manufacturers.
<snip>
That's definitely not been our experience. While we love our Tesla, it's been the most unreliable car, requiring far more service, than any we've owned in decades.

• Informative
Reactions: raphy3 and Inside

Theoretically. The currently reality is different.

It's exacerbated by the cost-cutting processes that have seen them reduce or fail to expand important service capacities.

As long as demand is greater than supply, wait times grow.
As long as supply is greater than demand, wait times reduce.

If/when Model 3 gives Tesla reasonable cashflow and profitability, it will be much easier for Tesla to resolve both the supply and demand problems.

Elon Musk's Tweet about it doesn't really mean anything. It's a well-known problem and could be with a sales or a customer service hat on.

You can blame this on owners like me who recently got a Model 3. I've had to call the service number about 4-5 separate times over the 6 months I've had my car for various defects. Quality control is not up to par.

What sucks about the service center phone system is that they got rid of the feature that takes your phone number and calls you back when your turn in the queue comes up. Psychologically, I preferred that much more to sitting on hold for 45-60 minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: Inside and Ormond
Agreed on the callback feature. I'm not in the customer service field so I don't know what it takes/costs, but when I first came across that feature on another line, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Especially when driving and going through any surprise dead zones that drop you off the line after being on hold for 25 min (happened to me last week).

If it's any help, I generally find that calling in the morning is better than evenings for reducing the wait time.

Calls are now auto re-routed to a central number in CA. It's not a "local" problem.
yes this part bugs me. you call the local # only to get through to someone who is at some call center. and if they deem your question worthy enough, they will transfer you to a live person at the SC you originally wanted to reach. so weird. i suppose there are a lot of general questions that can be handled by a middleman, but if i'm calling the SC to talk to my service advisor about the status of my repairs, i don't know why it has to be routed to a call center first.

they do have the texting service, which is nice, but recently it's taken them hours to respond to a text, sometimes longer.