Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will we have to leave Bluetooth on all the time on our phones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm like you -- I sometimes remember to carry a phone, but mostly only if my wife reminds me or puts it in my pouch. Honestly though, I'm resigned to keeping the phone with me; its the keeping it charged part I'm worried about.
I would think in "your line of work", you would require telephone communications at all times. ;) In my line of work, retirement, telephone coms is rarely a requirement. Evidently there will be bluetooth watches and that will be my work around.

Not in the scenario I described: you are coming out of the store, groceries, bags, boxes or whatever in both hands, no free hand unless you first put down some stuff. Ideally no problem, but like I said, imagine it's pouring with rain, everything is soaking wet, where do you put your stuff down? With such a feature, you just swipe your foot under the bumper, the boot/trunk opens, you store your shopping, close the lid, get into the car and drive away.
I haven't got that feature on my car, but I have experienced plenty of situations where I would have been so glad I if I had had it.

Over here, you can get this as an optional extra on many vehicles from various manufacturers. Perhaps "most" was too strong a word, but it is definitely getting more common every year.
Understood, but pretty much only time I am driving her car is when we are grocery shopping and all the bags are in the cart and hands are always free. In the event my hands would be full as in your scenario, yes, I would probably do the kick under the bumper, but overall the feature isn't that useful for me.

When I drive by myself, I don't have our one and only smartphone >90% of the time. When my DW and I drive together, the smartphone is with us >90% of the time. I don't want a second smartphone because of the necessary monthly expense just to drive a car, there goes my savings on fuel! (with our Prius plug-in we spend about $25 per month on gasoline)

Dirty little secret - You don't need cellular service to use a smart phone. 90-some % of apps work fine with wifi and Bluetooth. After migrating from a non-cellular tablet, I went a month with my new smartphone before I bothered subscribing to a service. Vast majority of my usage is still non-cellular (shopping lists and notes, camera, music, internet browsing over wifi...) [ Of course, the remote (non-Bluetooth) functions of the Tesla App wouldn't work without an active wifi connection - but it's not clear yet exactly what the "Phone Key" function covers]

• Informative
Reactions: T34ME and gambit48
From the first responder's guide - shows the trunk button on the rear lid, very similar to Model S.

Attachments

• trunk_open.PNG
    trunk_open.PNG
    224.4 KB · Views: 55
I would think in "your line of work", you would require telephone communications at all times. ;) In my line of work, retirement, telephone coms is rarely a requirement. Evidently there will be bluetooth watches and that will be my work around.
At work I have an electronic leash, aka a "beeper." It is in large part the reason why I am so jealous of my privacy and quiet at home, and I have never been much of a texter/twitterer. Well, not at all to be honest. In my personal world, just about everything can wait a couple of hours until I look at my email.

A BT watch might end up being my solution too if the battery lasts a *long* time. It will mean I have to wear a watch, so that will be a change too ;-)

I hope the iOS widget is updated to support opening the frunk and trunk just by swiping from the lockscreen and hitting a button, having to log in and go into the app itself would be a bit "meh". I know it doesn't support this as of a week ago, but hopefully it does soon.

Also, seat heater controls from the app would be good.

Reactions: davedavedave
Anyone more tech savvy than I am know how to tell if a phone will handle Bluetooth LE? I have an older LG running Android 4.4; regular Bluetooth works but I suppose that Bluetooth LE probably doesn't exist on such an old phone. Since it is a Tracfone and costs only $100 a year for care and feeding, I am disinclined to get something new, fancy and expensive from a major cellphone provider. I own AAPL stock, but that's as close as I'm going to get to an iPhone.

If I would have to go with the keycard to use a Model 3, that's another tick in the column in favor of another CPO Model S instead. No way I want to deal with a Bluetooth watch that has to be charged all the time, or some similar kludgy workaround for the lack of a fob.

Reactions: N5329K
Anyone more tech savvy than I am know how to tell if a phone will handle Bluetooth LE? I have an older LG running Android 4.4; regular Bluetooth works but I suppose that Bluetooth LE probably doesn't exist on such an old phone.

If your phone supports Bluetooth 4.0 then it includes support for Bluetooth LE. Just look up the tech specs for your model phone. If it supports at least Bluetooth 4.0 then you should be good.

Anyone more tech savvy than I am know how to tell if a phone will handle Bluetooth LE? I have an older LG running Android 4.4; regular Bluetooth works but I suppose that Bluetooth LE probably doesn't exist on such an old phone. Since it is a Tracfone and costs only $100 a year for care and feeding, I am disinclined to get something new, fancy and expensive from a major cellphone provider. I own AAPL stock, but that's as close as I'm going to get to an iPhone.

If I would have to go with the keycard to use a Model 3, that's another tick in the column in favor of another CPO Model S instead. No way I want to deal with a Bluetooth watch that has to be charged all the time, or some similar kludgy workaround for the lack of a fob.

Having a Moto 360(2nd gen) Android smartwatch, I only need to charge every 48 hours or so....and usually charge every night when my phone is charging anyway.

even the 1st Gen 360 could go for 24+ on a single charge. the issue would actually be if they're functionally compatible....i.e. can I pair the watch with the car as if it was a phone...?

If your phone supports Bluetooth 4.0 then it includes support for Bluetooth LE. Just look up the tech specs for your model phone. If it supports at least Bluetooth 4.0 then you should be good.
Thanks for the info. My phone does run Bluetooth 4.0 so I am now hopeful that it would work. I really like my little LG phone because it is small enough to hold comfortably and fits easily into a belt clip holster.

Having a Moto 360(2nd gen) Android smartwatch, I only need to charge every 48 hours or so....and usually charge every night when my phone is charging anyway.

even the 1st Gen 360 could go for 24+ on a single charge. the issue would actually be if they're functionally compatible....i.e. can I pair the watch with the car as if it was a phone...?
So far it appears it needs the app. Will have to wait and see if Tesla will extend the app to wearable devices.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
So far it appears it needs the app. Will have to wait and see if Tesla will extend the app to wearable devices.
I would hope that an app of some sort would be required. Simply pairing a device is too easy to spoof. Hopefully (presumably?) the app includes some sort of crypto handshake to properly authenticate and authorize the activity (unlocking, etc.).

EDIT: Ok, so it looks like it depends on how the pairing is done in the first place... Perhaps it could be secure from spoofing? It appears to depend...

Last edited: