Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will we have to leave Bluetooth on all the time on our phones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if we will have to constantly keep on our bluetooth function on our phones for use for opening out Model 3s. Im assuming so, but was wondering if there is a way it can connect only when we approach the car, without having to leave bluetooth on all the time. I personally don't like leaving on my bluetooth on phone as it drains battery and leaves a connection open to your phone (https://lifehacker.com/stop-leaving-your-smartphones-bluetooth-on-1817176967). I guess we'll find out soon.

Why do you think you wouldn't be able to turn off Bluetooth when you aren't near your car? Bluetooth is very short range, what possible difference could it make if you turn it off when you are outside of that range?

Thank you kindly.

I think I follow the OP in wondering whether Bluetooth will need to be on in order to operate the car? If yes, yes you could turn it on/off all the time, but how annoying would that be? I don't like leaving mine on all the time either.

Well, I turn my Bluetooth on when I get in the car (I have a Moto E Gen 1 which doesn't have much battery). I guess I'd be more in the habit of turning my Bluetooth on before heading to the car.

Because of other risks in using your phone for unlocking the car (primarily the lack of control over the lock and unlock events, since there is no key fob), I recommend using the keycard as your primary key, and the phone as secondary. Just put it in a holder and attach to your keyring. A bit old-school, I admit, but it should work just fine and is safer in some circumstances.

I'm just hoping to have an app that I can lock the doors with the windows up for when I wash the car so they stay sealed.
My previous cars with frameless windows didn't lower when the car was unlocked. They lowered (~1/4") when you actually opened the door. It happens impressively quickly its almost unnoticeable.

I would assume the Model 3 will operate the same way. Door closed = windows sealed

Reactions: DR61
Many people have BT on all the time (like for an Apple Watch).... That article is a bit of clickbait, as any iPhone on iOS 10 is already immune to the current Bluetooth issue (10 has been out for a year, BTW).

I agree there may be good reason to have BT off depending on your environment and use case, but it’s on a case by case basic.

And, yes, the card is NFC, tap on the B pillar. The phone app is BT so the car is unlocked by the time to get to it.

BT low energy is different than the regular bluetooth on my phone. Turning off the bluetooth on my S7 does not disable BLE.
That is a seperate setting called "nearby device scanning"

Yes the Model 3 uses Bluetooth LE (LOW ENERGY)....and to answer somebody elses question, bluetooth has pretty long range of up to 50ft. Right now bluetooth LE i think is version 4.0 and 5.0 so we dont know if its the higher data rate version or not.

Nobody should worry to leave BT on. only if you are streaming music to headphones all day does it use up a lot of juice

My previous cars with frameless windows didn't lower when the car was unlocked. They lowered (~1/4") when you actually opened the door. It happens impressively quickly its almost unnoticeable.

I would assume the Model 3 will operate the same way. Door closed = windows sealed
That's also how the S works. The windows don't come down until you actually pull the door handle.

Reactions: brkaus
Why do you think you wouldn't be able to turn off Bluetooth when you aren't near your car? Bluetooth is very short range, what possible difference could it make if you turn it off when you are outside of that range?

Thank you kindly.
Model 3 uses phone Bluetooth as a proximity key. Presumably OP wishes there were some alternative (such as NFC) so he didn't have to leave Bluetooth switched on.

I keep BT off so the car doesn’t start auto-playing podcasts on approach. Hope they fix that issue in concert with the BT key.
Yes. There are a number of "convenience" features about the modern cars, Teslas seemingly in particular, that attempt to predict what you want to do. Until they invent an app that actually does read my mind (which would open up a whole different discussion), I am a firm believer in maintaining explicit control over such items. To this thread, that includes the automatic unlocking (even opening) of the doors. There are times when I want to only unlock the driver's door (alone in a sketchy parking garage), and other times all of them (out with family). There is the issue of having the car unlock when you're indoors in a room adjacent to the carport. Etc., etc. Simply walking near my car is not a command for the car to go into "happy puppy" mode, and fiddling with a smartphone app and manually enabling and disabling BT is not the answer. The industry fixed this with the buttoned key fob and buttons on the dashboard years ago, now that appears to be broken on the Model 3. That's why I recommend not using the phone / BT, but rather using the key card, where tapping it on the B-pillar is a clear sign to the car to unlock.

The first secret of design is ... noticing

Maybe they could use the cameras to sense us swiping (waving) left to unlock and right to lock? (half kidding there...)

• Love
Reactions: N5329K