Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will We See A CT Price Increase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The pricing for the Cybertruck really doesn't make any sense compared to the Model 3 or Y. Technically the CT Dual-motor has more range, is faster, has the larger screen, adaptive air suspension, etc.. and is cheaper than the Model Y ? Nearly the same price as the Model 3 LR AWD now.

Sedans and Trucks are usually very far apart in pricing, especially similarly equipped
Econ 101 tells you that the cost of manufacturing has no bearing on price. Price is set by what the market will bear and manufacturing costs simply determine the profit level.

Reactions: El joe
The pricing for the Cybertruck really doesn't make any sense compared to the Model 3 or Y. Technically the CT Dual-motor has more range, is faster, has the larger screen, adaptive air suspension, etc.. and is cheaper than the Model Y ? Nearly the same price as the Model 3 LR AWD now.

Sedans and Trucks are usually very far apart in pricing, especially similarly equipped
And that’s why I think the tri-motor makes the most sense for Tesla financially. There’s some cushion for them at that level, with very little with the dual-motor and also why personally, I don’t think we’ll see a single-motor variant come to production.

Reactions: TessP100D
Econ 101 tells you that the cost of manufacturing has no bearing on price. Price is set by what the market will bear and manufacturing costs simply determine the profit level.
That is true only if the company is profitable/self-sustaining. Tesla is dependent on the bond and equity markets and Wall Street tracks margins like a hawk. Tesla must hold a minimum margin or Wall Street will kill them. If input costs rise materially (jury is still out on whether Uncle Jerome is correct and this inflation is transitory due to COVID-induce supply disruption or if this is the beginning of an inflationary regime) Tesla will have no choice but to increase costs across the board.

Battery costs should continue their march downward as incremental tech improves the process and this will help cushion the increases. But it is safe to assume the battery inputs will be increasing as well.

The M3 and MY have been increasing in price weekly for the last month. Whether it's due to materials or the looming tax credit, I don't see the risk in loaning Tesla $100 to hopefully lock in a dual motor CT at potentially $40K. I don't need delivery until late 2023 or early 2024 and with a reservation this late hopefully that won't be a problem.

Reactions: LionXng
The M3 and MY have been increasing in price weekly for the last month. Whether it's due to materials or the looming tax credit, I don't see the risk in loaning Tesla $100 to hopefully lock in a dual motor CT at potentially $40K. I don't need delivery until late 2023 or early 2024 and with a reservation this late hopefully that won't be a problem.
The $100 gets a spot in the order line. But does not guarantee a certain price range or someone else without a current reservation could not get their CT before you.

Reactions: TessP100D
giga press or casting method of production will save Tesla tons of money-will remove many robots, time, quality etc but won't know if Tesla will push that saving to the customers or investors? They have to pay for that giant machines-most likely investors will get the money as T$LA will go up as CT delivery starts. I've preorder but only wait for a smaller CT-good thing is I've to sell less T$LA shares to get the CT.

When has a reservation not locked in a price? If I reserve the dual motor CT at $50K and starting in 2022 there's potentially a $10K rebate, why would I expect my price not to be ~$40K?
The website says that the reservation does lock in the price for FSD if you select it, but does not say the same thing about the price of the vehicle. And my order agreement talks about the final price and the ore-order price, and says the pre-order price is an estimate. I would assume that means that the vehicle price isn’t locked in...but there is a chance that the price won’t change...

The website says that the reservation does lock in the price for FSD if you select it, but does not say the same thing about the price of the vehicle. And my order agreement talks about the final price and the ore-order price, and says the pre-order price is an estimate. I would assume that means that the vehicle price isn’t locked in...but there is a chance that the price won’t change...

Which is why I ordered 2 of each CT variant. 1 with FSD and 1 without :). And 1 F150 just to troll Ford with a future cancelled order.

Hedge your bets folks!

When has a reservation not locked in a price? If I reserve the dual motor CT at $50K and starting in 2022 there's potentially a $10K rebate, why would I expect my price not to be ~$40K?
Every single Tesla pre-order ever. Once Tesla opens the configurator and you confirm your order, that is when you have a binding price. Right now you have a target. If you don't like the price when it's released you can get your $100 back.

Tesla is betting on 4680 costs coming down as well as the simpler manufacturing that @tashtibet listed but none of those are realized savings.
Which is why I ordered 2 of each CT variant. 1 with FSD and 1 without :). And 1 F150 just to troll Ford with a future cancelled order.

Hedge your bets folks!
Agree with @TessP100D, a first gen CT will be a rust bucket before FSD is a real thing. You are wasting your money.