Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

will yoke steering be non-linear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems very unlikely to me that the yoke wheel will ever see the light of day, due to the numerous engineering complexities, additional failure points, and regulatory hurdles.

I suspect the yoke is from the marketing department, to foster social media interest. If so, they've succeeded.
See, I was right. They've dropped it for something more traditional.

tes.png

While the concept of the yoke is cool IMO, there's no practical way of doing it right.

If they used a normal street car ratio, maneuvering on anything other than the freeway would be a nightmare.
If they used a Formula 1 ratio (i.e. 90 degrees on each side), driving above 50 km/h would be dangerous.
If they used a non-linear ratio, you would have no idea where the car will turn, which would make for a terrible driving experience.

There's a reason why a million concept cars have had the yoke in the initial design, but it never made it to production.
A lot of cars have variable ratio steerIing and have for years. Also guys with trikes don’t seem to have a problem with +- 90 degrees.

So the first videos of yoke steering are out, and frankly it's a bit disappointing. Tesla should have been able to make yoke steering better than conventional steering, and they didn't do it. In videos the yoke seems slightly worse.

So the first videos of yoke steering are out, and frankly it's a bit disappointing. Tesla should have been able to make yoke steering better than conventional steering, and they didn't do it. In videos the yoke seems slightly worse.

Im willing to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt and see how it works in practice. Frankly people generally have awful steering wheel habits, like hook turns. This will force you to actually use the wheel/yoke properly.

Formula race cars have been using the yoke forever.

The one area which gives me pause is sudden loss of traction where you must quickly oversteer and then release the wheels back. There a track nearby that has a skid pad and I wouldn’t mind trying it with a yoke to see how it works.

Why is Musk saying it will take years to develop progressive steering tech when I can get it as an option in a fairly low-end German car?
The mechanical systems in German cars are not what Musk has in mind. Musk is talking about a full drive-by-wire system with software mapped steering ratios sensitive to both speed and steering angle, with good realistic force feedback and reliability comparable to standard rack and pinion steering. That's a harder problem.

The only steer-by-wire car to come out was the Infinity Q50, and after a year they ripped it out and put mechanical steering back in. Tesla isn't going to do that.