Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

will yoke steering be non-linear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha, you could say Tesla merely aspires to implement the Apple way.
I read a quote by Elon from someone who worked at Tesla early on which perfectly describes the Tesla way - paraphrasing (I don't have the exact quote handy): release it to the customer as soon as possible, finish it and/or fix it via over-the-air updates, pay for hardware fixes only we have to.

Audi's video shows that their system changes the ratio as much as 100%. That would solve for not having to turn the yoke all the way around while driving around town while also having a nice ratio on the highway. Also, I am wondering if they need to go as high as 100% ratio change? You can turn a yoke several turns if you have to, but I wonder how often it's needed.

This is absolutely the way Tesla should go. The steering ratio changes as the speed changes. When driving slow, a small input to the steering wheel produces a bigger turn on the wheels. When freeway driving, the opposite happens, and a bigger input on the steering wheel makes the road wheels turn less.

It won't take long to get used to this and you probably won't even notice it after a while. Of course, you'll suck at tight slow speed turns when you get back into a regular car :p

Reactions: Olle
It seems very unlikely to me that the yoke wheel will ever see the light of day, due to the numerous engineering complexities, additional failure points, and regulatory hurdles.

I suspect the yoke is from the marketing department, to foster social media interest. If so, they've succeeded.
That would be an amazing level of incompetence from Tesla. I believe they aren’t that bad.

If the steering is linear and using a normal street car ratio, it could be really awkward to make u-turns or parallel park with a yoke instead of a wheel. So I'm wondering if Tesla will make the yoke steering nonlinear, with an increasingly higher ratio as the yoke is deflected farther, so the yoke never turns all the way over even at max steering lock.

Could the steering ratio also be speed sensitive? Steer-by-wire and software defined?
Aren’t most power steering wheel non-linear? I thought, even my 2019 S has non-linear steering wheel.

It seems very unlikely to me that the yoke wheel will ever see the light of day, due to the numerous engineering complexities, additional failure points, and regulatory hurdles.

I suspect the yoke is from the marketing department, to foster social media interest. If so, they've succeeded.
Have you heard of a Tesla Model X and its falcon doors?

• Funny
Reactions: Cosmacelf
Interesting that no one has mentioned the BMW system - Active steering. I had a 2005 BMW 545 that used a variable ratio steering. Part of the sport package at that time.

This was a speed based ratio change so that parking lot maneuvers were less than 2 turns lock to lock. It seemed like a 50% change - meaning that a 10 degree movement at parking speeds was a 20 degree movement at highway speeds. It took no time at all to get used to and actually no time at all to forget.

Tesla marketing department? I don't think so. I'm not sure they even have a marketing department.

• Funny
Reactions: Cosmacelf
They have a marketing department for sure. Who do you think keeps the website running?

An overworked Information Technology engineer? :)

To be less flippant, they have a marketing communications department (that does the graphics for the website). I would bet serious $$ that anything called "marketing" in Tesla has zero influence on product design. This is truly an engineering led company.

I like Audi's solution. The tough part about a dynamic ratio is the fact that in the US (I forget what FMVSS it is) you have to have a mechanical linkage to the wheels in case of electrical or hydraulic failure.

I'm certain Audi has patents all over their design, and it's a tough cat to skin in a cost effective manor.

Mr. Uujjj has worked as an engineer at various Silicon Valley companies. He has gotten some chances to to hear from marketing guys during product planning. Their input can be useful. The marketing guys tended to be pretty conservative, since they were the ones closer to the customers. (Customers just want a faster horse.) Engineers and designers were usually the ones proposing radical features and marketing usually shot them down. Based on his experience with marketing guys, Mr. Uujjj highly doubts they were the ones proposing yoke steering.

Mr. Uujjj has worked as an engineer at various Silicon Valley companies. He has gotten some chances to to hear from marketing guys during product planning. Their input can be useful. The marketing guys tended to be pretty conservative, since they were the ones closer to the customers. (Customers just want a faster horse.) Engineers and designers were usually the ones proposing radical features and marketing usually shot them down. Based on his experience with marketing guys, Mr. Uujjj highly doubts they were the ones proposing yoke steering.

Good point. Engineers are constantly changing things to make it "better". Marketing wants boring features like cup holders, apple/android integration, folding seats, and door handles that work.