Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you be able to dock your phone on the model 3 with a case?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The pictures shown with the phone dock are without a case. I would imagine there are some cases that are too bulky and would understand it may not fit, but will you be able to use the phone dock with an "average" case on? It will be annoying if I have to take the case off every time I go in to the car and want to keep it charging.

Our S dock won't hold either my wife's phone nor mine and hers is qute a bit smaller. The dock is a fixed size, which probably isn't a great design and I'd think the 3 will also be fixed. But I just stand my phone up and the lack of dock is no big deal.

There's a right angle connector right there and a hole... You might be able to fit a cable directly through the hole. If so, inside of a fixed connector you'd simply have a cable there with the connector. We'd have to get a video of the installation procedure to know for sure if that's possible.

DGLjcIQW0AAalXX.jpg

I wish the phone dock on the Model S stuck up a little better. I can sometimes get it to dock with the case I have. My SO's iPhone has more of an opening around the charging port and has no problem docking. I tried a case that had more room and it docked better, but the case annoyed me in other ways so I went back to the original. I did get an extender which works, but when I grab the phone, the extender always comes out with the phone which is mildly annoying.

I don't think it has wireless charging, the instructions clearly show cabling that goes presumably to a phone. One of the release event test ride videos they mention it being configured with micro USB plugs vs iPhone cables (i'm sure you can get either/or)

Either way I intend to get a wireless charger to permanently affix in there

Premium package will do wireless charging and the iphone 8 will supposedly do wireless charging, problem solved, right? :)
My phone is an old Samsung Galaxy Note 5 from 2+ years ago. I have inductive chargers everywhere. They are fantastic where you can charge with a case on / charge landscape or portrait / charge front side down or back side down / Charge right side up or upside down / or anything.

If the Model 3 will have inductive charging built in.....that would be just fantastic. I would buy the car just for that.

I would have the worlds first $60K phone charger ....... with a lot of free features...like doubling as a car.

• Funny
Reactions: Jxtheone and tony b
My phone is an old Samsung Galaxy Note 5 from 2+ years ago. I have inductive chargers everywhere. They are fantastic where you can charge with a case on / charge landscape or portrait / charge front side down or back side down / Charge right side up or upside down / or anything.

If the Model 3 will have inductive charging built in.....that would be just fantastic. I would buy the car just for that.

I would have the worlds first $60K phone charger ....... with a lot of free features...like doubling as a car.
The order page for the charging cables show how to remove the bottom of the charging area to install the cables. I’m sure there will be a wireless charging option (if not from Tesla, then aftermarket will fill the gap). If the iPhone 8 really has built-in wireless charging then I would bet Tesla will come out with their own solution.

You have better luck than I do. I have a Samsung Galaxy 6. For inductive charging to work for me I have to place the phone very precisely on the charger. Once charging is complete, it starts draining and doesn't start charging again, even while still on the charging device.
I've woken up several times with a half dead battery. I've been charging it via cable ever since. Perhaps they've fixed some of the software by now.

The order page for the charging cables show how to remove the bottom of the charging area to install the cables. I’m sure there will be a wireless charging option (if not from Tesla, then aftermarket will fill the gap). If the iPhone 8 really has built-in wireless charging then I would bet Tesla will come out with their own solution.
Why in the world would the IPhone drive this invention.

There are hundreds of thousands if not hundreds of millions of Samsung phones out there that have had inductive charging for the past 3 years. Tesla is actually be behind on inductive charging in my view. I don't like posting comments like that because there are so many folks who like to argue here when you mention something adversarial to Tesla.

Reactions: Chewy3
Why in the world would the IPhone drive this invention.

There are hundreds of thousands if not hundreds of millions of Samsung phones out there that have had inductive charging for the past 3 years. Tesla is actually be behind on inductive charging in my view. I don't like posting comments like that because there are so many folks who like to argue here when you mention something adversarial to Tesla.
Without starting a flame war, I would say that a lot of companies tend to support iPhones first because the lack of fragmentation in the market makes it easier, regardless of if the feature in question came to Android or iPhone first. Whether or not this will be the case with "official" Tesla supported wireless charging is anyone's guess. Wireless charging standards mean that a single charger should work with many Android models, so it may be as you say and Tesla is just behind the game.

Without starting a flame war, I would say that a lot of companies tend to support iPhones first because the lack of fragmentation in the market makes it easier, regardless of if the feature in question came to Android or iPhone first. Whether or not this will be the case with "official" Tesla supported wireless charging is anyone's guess. Wireless charging standards mean that a single charger should work with many Android models, so it may be as you say and Tesla is just behind the game.

The iOS line is all from one company and all devices share common tech. Android is just an OS and manufacturers can do what they want. Manufacturers of Android devices do agree on things like charging plugs, but there is no guarantee of any tech being on any particular phone or other Android device.

Additionally while Android is the most common phone OS in the world, iOS is very popular in the US. Worldwide iOS is about 1/3 market-share, but in the US it's close to half.

The iOS line is all from one company and all devices share common tech. Android is just an OS and manufacturers can do what they want. Manufacturers of Android devices do agree on things like charging plugs, but there is no guarantee of any tech being on any particular phone or other Android device.

Additionally while Android is the most common phone OS in the world, iOS is very popular in the US. Worldwide iOS is about 1/3 market-share, but in the US it's close to half.
I have to say that I agree with your entire assessment.

If Tesla is only responding to 1/3 of the market share......then they are a little behind for the majority 2/3's.

You have better luck than I do. I have a Samsung Galaxy 6. For inductive charging to work for me I have to place the phone very precisely on the charger. Once charging is complete, it starts draining and doesn't start charging again, even while still on the charging device.
I've woken up several times with a half dead battery. I've been charging it via cable ever since. Perhaps they've fixed some of the software by now.

What I got from this is you're a battery half dead guy, not a battery half full one.