Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you be able to sleep in the back of a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought Elon had answered this as a 'yes', but now re-reading the below, he didn't specifically say that one will be able to sleep in the back of the 3:

Elon Musk on Twitter

With that said, with Motor Trend's estimated measurements and the front seats pushed forward as Elon alluded to in the reveal speech, I imagine that there will be sufficient length to sleep. I wonder if the rear seats will fold completely flat though or if they will remain fairly sloped when folded down; we'll have to see on that one.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 22.48.34 .png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 22.48.34 .png
    57 KB · Views: 82
For me, it'll depend on how well the seats fold down. That height difference from the trunk to the folded rear seat in my current car (Honda civic) is what makes that a little difficult. If that is resolved, I could sleep very comfortably inside. Teslabj0rn explained how he did it and it's awfully tempting to me, especially if I'm near a charging location.

Always seems like a brilliant idea. Why pay a few bucks for a hotel room when you can sleep in the car? I used to do something similar in the back of my GTI back in the day, but never for more than 30 minutes. But really, ok you save some cash on a cheap motel room, but now you can't wash up, go to the bathroom, etc... What's the attraction for people who can afford to buy a car?

Always seems like a brilliant idea. Why pay a few bucks for a hotel room when you can sleep in the car? I used to do something similar in the back of my GTI back in the day, but never for more than 30 minutes. But really, ok you save some cash on a cheap motel room, but now you can't wash up, go to the bathroom, etc... What's the attraction for people who can afford to buy a car?
I camp out very regularly and deal with the same issues. I do it, because I race at a track and there's no good hotel within 45 minutes of it where I don't have to worry about bed bugs. That's my only requirement for a "good" hotel.

Anyway, this leads me to camping. If I could just stay in my car with reasonable comfort, it would save me the hassle of carrying a tent, setting it up, etc., and I would be very happy with that.

Showers are super easy, because local truck stops offer a $5 shower with access to all of these things you mention. Again, it's not an issue.

My situation may be fairly unique, because yes, otherwise why would you be spending $45-50k on a car ($42k plus sales tax, delivery/doc, etc.) and then skimping on a $100 hotel room? The one thing I don't know about is supercharger placement. If I'm using the batteries overnight for climate control, then I need to make sure I've had enough power for that and to get back to a supercharger on my way home from a weekend of racing. (I don't race my car for the record, I've got a separate vehicle for that)

I'll tell you why, two reasons;

1. I'm not a cheap-as-hell bastard.
2. I'm not a hobo.

I've only ever once slept in my car when I could have avoided it, and it was on a cross-country road trip when I was a broke college student. Even then I could have ponied up for $30 to stay in a fleabag motel and still would have gotten more rest than I got "sleeping" in the car.

Reactions: ttupper92618
I'm hoping you can sleep in the back because assuming its not the dead of winter, I'm flying to Fremont for factory pickup and hitting a dozen or more national parks on the way back. Since I won't know when I'll be there until probably a few weeks or less in advance, I won't be able to make reservations before they fill up and I'll probably be sleeping in the back most nights for a couple weeks.