TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will you be able to sleep in the back of a Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Candleflame, May 22, 2016.

1. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

Dont know if anybody has eyed the trunk space of the M3 during the reveal? In the Model S you can quite sleep quite comfy with the rear seats folded down.

Model S has afaik a trunk lenght of 190cm and 162.56 wide so you can sleep at any height really.

2. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

we'll likely have to wait to see what the clearance is with the seats folded down. Length from the front seats to the back of the trunk will be 6-10" shorter

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Five footers, probably. Six footers, not comfortably.

4. FirstSea

FirstSea Member

Hmm I could just sleep in my 3 instead of renting an apartment, Genius!

Or if you are married, whenever the Mrs kicks you out for not helping with the chores.

• Funny x 3
  5. StraightDave

StraightDave Member

I was thinking about having poker tournaments in the 3. Do you think it will be big enough for a table and five players?

• Funny x 5
  6. ChooseGreen

ChooseGreen Member

I thought Elon had answered this as a 'yes', but now re-reading the below, he didn't specifically say that one will be able to sleep in the back of the 3:

Elon Musk on Twitter

With that said, with Motor Trend's estimated measurements and the front seats pushed forward as Elon alluded to in the reveal speech, I imagine that there will be sufficient length to sleep. I wonder if the rear seats will fold completely flat though or if they will remain fairly sloped when folded down; we'll have to see on that one.

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

[​IMG]

• Funny x 1
  8. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

sounds like someone needs a minivan instead of a small premium sedan :)

• Funny x 1
  9. Booga

Booga Member

For me, it'll depend on how well the seats fold down. That height difference from the trunk to the folded rear seat in my current car (Honda civic) is what makes that a little difficult. If that is resolved, I could sleep very comfortably inside. Teslabj0rn explained how he did it and it's awfully tempting to me, especially if I'm near a charging location.

10. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

Or one of those creepy full size pedo vans with the curtains over the back windows. eww

11. James Anders

James Anders Member

Elon did mention a 7 foot surfboard would fit. As other have mentioned I suspect the height differences will make for a lumpy bed.

12. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

But could it sleep comfortably?

Dan

13. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

I think if comfort was an issue, you would spring for the hotel bed

14. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

Model 3 premium electric sedan... starting at $35,000. Well appointed at $42,000.

Get your hobo on!

[​IMG]

• Funny x 2
  15. kzod

kzod Member

Always seems like a brilliant idea. Why pay a few bucks for a hotel room when you can sleep in the car? I used to do something similar in the back of my GTI back in the day, but never for more than 30 minutes. But really, ok you save some cash on a cheap motel room, but now you can't wash up, go to the bathroom, etc... What's the attraction for people who can afford to buy a car?

16. Booga

Booga Member

I camp out very regularly and deal with the same issues. I do it, because I race at a track and there's no good hotel within 45 minutes of it where I don't have to worry about bed bugs. That's my only requirement for a "good" hotel.

Anyway, this leads me to camping. If I could just stay in my car with reasonable comfort, it would save me the hassle of carrying a tent, setting it up, etc., and I would be very happy with that.

Showers are super easy, because local truck stops offer a $5 shower with access to all of these things you mention. Again, it's not an issue.

My situation may be fairly unique, because yes, otherwise why would you be spending $45-50k on a car ($42k plus sales tax, delivery/doc, etc.) and then skimping on a $100 hotel room? The one thing I don't know about is supercharger placement. If I'm using the batteries overnight for climate control, then I need to make sure I've had enough power for that and to get back to a supercharger on my way home from a weekend of racing. (I don't race my car for the record, I've got a separate vehicle for that)

17. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

So he needs money for karate lessons or he needs $4 karate lessons...

I'm not sure four dollar karate lessons are of high enough quality to fight ninjas...

• Informative x 1
  18. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

I'll tell you why, two reasons;

1. I'm not a cheap-as-hell bastard.
    2. I'm not a hobo.

I've only ever once slept in my car when I could have avoided it, and it was on a cross-country road trip when I was a broke college student. Even then I could have ponied up for $30 to stay in a fleabag motel and still would have gotten more rest than I got "sleeping" in the car.

• Like x 1
  19. Jersey Shore Tom

My reason to sleep in my Model 3:
    Waiting on line outside of my Tesla store to reserve my Gen 4.
    I'm thinking fall of 2021, see you there.

• Funny x 2
  20. thelastdeadmouse

I'm hoping you can sleep in the back because assuming its not the dead of winter, I'm flying to Fremont for factory pickup and hitting a dozen or more national parks on the way back. Since I won't know when I'll be there until probably a few weeks or less in advance, I won't be able to make reservations before they fill up and I'll probably be sleeping in the back most nights for a couple weeks.