Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WIll you be allowed to add addtional options after you've configured your car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need to look a little bit at the history of Tesla selling cars. Let's just optimistically assume that they actually deliver vehicles Q4 2017 (they haven't hit an initial delivery date yet). Let's say they do though, it won't be all cars with X options shipping by the end of the year, it will likely be a handful of cars delivered on stage New Year's Eve 2017 at the Model 3 Reveal Event (very similar to the Model X reveal). There will be no signature cars, so instead the highest battery pack performance model will ship first. You can expect this will cost at least double the base price of the Model 3. For Model X the first 6 months of production vehicles is looking to be performance models only. Given the interest in Model 3 and the desire to get the full tax break, it is certainly possible that they only delivery performance models for the entire first year of production. If you were wanting a base model, I wouldn't count on it before 2019, and I wouldn't count on getting any tax credit. This is why Elon is quoting the price WITHOUT tax credits.

Sigh, you might be right about the performance versions. I don't really want a P and might not be able to afford to get one depending on the cost differential. Right now the P upgrade is $20k. To go from a base BMW 3-series to a M3, its over $30k. That doesn't bode well for me keeping the car in the mid-50's and still being able to have all the creature comforts.

You need to look a little bit at the history of Tesla selling cars. Let's just optimistically assume that they actually deliver vehicles Q4 2017 (they haven't hit an initial delivery date yet). Let's say they do though, it won't be all cars with X options shipping by the end of the year, it will likely be a handful of cars delivered on stage New Year's Eve 2017 at the Model 3 Reveal Event (very similar to the Model X reveal). There will be no signature cars, so instead the highest battery pack performance model will ship first. You can expect this will cost at least double the base price of the Model 3. For Model X the first 6 months of production vehicles is looking to be performance models only. Given the interest in Model 3 and the desire to get the full tax break, it is certainly possible that they only delivery performance models for the entire first year of production. If you were wanting a base model, I wouldn't count on it before 2019, and I wouldn't count on getting any tax credit. This is why Elon is quoting the price WITHOUT tax credits.
If this is the case then CPO Model S's will be flying off the shelves towards the end of next year. Here's hoping that the new gigafactory will allow Tesla to really ramp up M3 production so more of us can get some of the tax credit.

Because he said if you want anything less than a top end M3 you'll likely have to wait until at least 2019 to get one. Why do that if you can have a CPO S almost immediately for about $50k (not at the moment but there were always a few up until a week or two ago). A mid range M3 will be about the same price. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who won't want to wait that addition 18 months (assuming that configurations start around mid 2017).