Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you be sending your car out on the robotaxi service?

Will you be sending your car out on the robotaxi service?

• Yes, my Model S

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, my Model X

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Yes, my Model 3

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Yes, both (or all) of my Teslas

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Yes, my future Model Y/Cybertruck/etc

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 42 77.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My personal car, absolutely not. I haven’t loaned it to friends or relatives, with the exception of one very pushy acquaintance that I instantly regretted.
If the numbers added up I could see myself buying say a Model 3 specifically for the RoboTaxi service.

Reactions: CAM3RON
Elon Musk's mantra about how Tesla vehicles will be making money for their users when their owners utilize them as robo-taxis is close to delusional. He is trying to get his customers to comport themselves in his world's vision of how things ought to be. He'd be far better off inquiring as to the desires and wishes of the people who are purchasing his company's vehicles.

Rich

Elon's vision of Robotaxi customers:
600-00934680en_Masterfile.jpg

What the reality will be:
83282106.jpg

Elon Musk's mantra about how Tesla vehicles will be making money for their users when their owners utilize them as robo-taxis is close to delusional.

I tend to agree..
It's there as a carrot for FSD and to help boost the share price.

But if Tesla ever gets approved for automated rideshare (and that's another step beyond just being approved for autonomous).

Then what's to stop them
- charging $25k for Uber integration, or
- taking a 25% cut of any income (along with Uber's 30%) - or creating their own system and charging that amount
- charging $1/kWh for automated filling etc.

100% yes.

I don't actually expect it to be in Australia in the next 5 years but in theory I would.

If the car can generate $0.50 per KM in revenue, you would be looking at $20k in yearly revenue. That's still 1/4 the cost of Uber for the punter so they'd be looking at $10 trips from Airport to CBD for example. That's cheaper than the Sydney Airport Train levy.

If somebody vomits, shits or whatever in the car, charge them $250 cleaning key and take it to the closest cleaners. No big deal.

If there was a ton of money to be made by buying a Tesla and having it work for you then everybody would do just that and any possible earnings will be gone in a moment.
Yes. Market supply might have a strong downward effect on pricing. I guess the equilibrium will strike against the costs of the car and maintenance vs the return an owner will accept.

If it does come to fruition I can see it eating Uber for lunch unless Uber is out with their own autonomous cars.

This is the single best technology we should be investing in to prevent injury and fatalities on the road

Anything and everything we can do it get this into production we should be assisting with
Whether you agree with the vision of Elon Musk or not, the company he runs is arguably the furthest along with this
In addition he has also publicly stated that this won't be proprietary and will share the code with other companies at some point

So every argument made always revolves around what it costs, how much it costs me and what is the impact to me

What is one life worth whose death could have been prevented from a inattentive driver?

Reactions: Hairyman
Yes - I'm thinking about it. I may put my S out on the town, but only day-shift weekdays so I don't have to clean up vomit. Or at least clean up less often. If it works out well from a financial standpoint, then maybe go bigger and put it out longer and buy an older pre-autopilot S as my personal daily driver.

This is all speculation anyway - for all its present brilliant achievement It's years from being in the robotaxi league.
Think about it: there are hundreds of videos out there showing the Beta version doing its thing, probably 60% have disengagements or weird things happening. All very well if there's a driver who is prepared to risk his insurance, but using this technology as a driverless taxi is in a completely different class. For starters you obviously can't have manual controls - passengers can't be allowed ANY input apart from stating their destination. So what happens when the car gets away from its comfort zone? Like unmapped areas, or it routes via some inaccessible area - or any of the edge cases? No manual controls even if the owner manages to find where it is.
It ain't going to happen with the present vehicles, nor IMO with the next generation or three.
And yes, I have seen Waymo and others driving at moderate speed in geofenced zones. Very impressive, but not really in the same league as the suggested robotaxi.

Reactions: Stratman and paulp