Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you be sending your X out on the robotaxi service?

Will you offer your X on the robotaxi network?

• Yes

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is so unlikely to ever be real, especially with the hardware on these cars. Let’s be real. If you pay for FSD, you’re paying for navigation on highways, summon, etc. The other capabilities of true FSD are not possible with this hardware, regardless of what Mr. Musk says. If it was possible, Uber, Apple and others wouldn’t be taking so long to have their own tech.

Lidar and sensors far more accurate and quick than the ultrasonic ones on Tesla’s are necessary to get Federal approval.

This is so unlikely to ever be real, especially with the hardware on these cars. Let’s be real. If you pay for FSD, you’re paying for navigation on highways, summon, etc. The other capabilities of true FSD are not possible with this hardware, regardless of what Mr. Musk says. If it was possible, Uber, Apple and others wouldn’t be taking so long to have their own tech.

Lidar and sensors far more accurate and quick than the ultrasonic ones on Tesla’s are necessary to get Federal approval.

There is also radar on the Teslas and supposedly they are looking at 4D radar. Also, I don't know of anything in the models that Andrej and company are building that would preclude using LIDAR to other sources.

Then Tesla are up for billion$ in lawsuit payouts. Literally billion$.

Reactions: cwerdna
Not sure how accurate this information is but if you search average ride share salaries you’ll find numbers from 28k to 42k. Let’s assume a full time driver would make 35k. If all I had to do was charge my car throughout the day once or twice to have it work Around the clock and I bought a base version model 3...seems like the car would pay for itself in a year or two.

I’d never use my primary car (especially model x) for this...but I can imagine using a model 3 for this.

Not sure how accurate this information is but if you search average ride share salaries you’ll find numbers from 28k to 42k. Let’s assume a full time driver would make 35k. If all I had to do was charge my car throughout the day once or twice to have it work Around the clock and I bought a base version model 3...seems like the car would pay for itself in a year or two.

I’d never use my primary car (especially model x) for this...but I can imagine using a model 3 for this.
I can't see using a $40K Model 3. But, if they come through with the $20K Model 2, then maybe.

Then Tesla are up for billion$ in lawsuit payouts. Literally billion$.
They have enough disclaimers in there to
avoid that. And they never gave a date. So in 2030 when they come up with the right tech, they’ll be fine. :)

There are lots of scholarly articles as to why, but radar alone, especially one, isn’t enough to do it.

you know what Space X uses to auto dock their rockets to the space station? Lidar.

They have enough disclaimers in there to
avoid that. And they never gave a date. So in 2030 when they come up with the right tech, they’ll be fine.
No, I think since Elon uses Twitter (& other means) to communicate information to customers & shareholders that becomes material evidence. Judges would use the legal concept of ‘reasonableness’ to determine what is a fair & reasonable time. Disclaimers by Tesla doesn’t mean they can deliver robotaxis in the year 3452

No, I think since Elon uses Twitter (& other means) to communicate information to customers & shareholders that becomes material evidence. Judges would use the legal concept of ‘reasonableness’ to determine what is a fair & reasonable time. Disclaimers by Tesla doesn’t mean they can deliver robotaxis in the year 3452
Interesting. Well, given what they’ve shown so far, and the stories from the FSD beta (if they’re to be believed), it seems like FSD isn’t coming soon. I’d argue that selling something in 2017 that is still not available is not “reasonably soon”, but I am not a lawyer.

I DO hope FSD is here soon. Either way, it will be interesting to watch.

And to answer the OP - NO WAY would I let my car be used, even if I got $40,000/year. Also, who is going to insure these cars?

I’d argue that selling something in 2017 that is still not available is not “reasonably soon”, but I am not a lawyer.
Also, who is going to insure these cars?
And you may well have a case. A lawyer would use past cases of a similar nature as precedent to argue the case before a judge (as well as arguing ‘reasonable’ time). Elon’s tweets & comments since 2016 wouldn’t help Tesla’s counter arguments. But that’s the financial risk one takes - unless a group class action path is taken instead
As for insurance, Elon has already stated that Tesla pays