Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy Enhanced Autopilot on your 3 at purchase?

Will you buy Enhanced Autopilot at the time of purchase?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until very recently V1/AP1 was better than V2/AP2. With recent V2/AP2 software updates, I think they're about the same (V2 might still be lacking perpendicular parking though, not sure). My understanding is that the future, fully-implemented V2 will only add entrance ramp to exit ramp highway driving, including autonomous lane switching and presumably highway interchange maneuvering.

I thought AP1 was originally $1,500 before being bumped up to $2,500 late last year/early this year(?). That included Adaptive Cruise Control, lane keeping, Summon, parallel and perpendicular parking and driver initiated lane changing. I don't see how AP2 is worth $3,500 more than the original AP1, especially when AP2 doesn't even provide improved functionality yet.

It was part of the $4000 tech package originally, then made standalone $2500 in spring of 2015 (at which point it just had adaptive cruise control and nothing else). They raised it to $3000 a year ago before replacing it with the $5000 AP2 last autumn.

• Informative
Reactions: alseTrick
Ugh I'm so split whether to do EAP. My daily commute is only 8 Mike's each way no hwy. We do like taking road trips from Vegas to LA though. I've been trying to watch more videos on it but interested in how much current owners actually use it

I've been completely set on EAP, but the three big options I really want:
(I want blue too but would get that even with the base car.)

-Long Range
-Premium package
-Enhanced Autopilot

One of those is not like the other in that if I save up I can add it later, but the price of the options is such I feel I should economize where I can easily do so. I can drive my own car for a couple more years and if they Motor Trend initial review indicates anything it is that I may want to!

Do not waste your money on EAP at this time. It doesn't work as well as the old AP1, and doesn't work reliably enough to be useful for most people, even in traffic. It's kinda neat, but not good enough to be trusted - yet. It might improve in the future, at which point you can simply add it on.

Hmmm this poll looks familiar yet different at the same time. ;)

I'm definitely buying EAP but I'm still on the fence with FSD. EAP is one of the most impressive and desireable things about a Tesla to me, I wish I had it every day during my commute.

I do realize it's not perfect but by the time I get my 3 they will have had some time for improvement and I have the patience to give it additional time to improve. I think you just have to purchase it realizing it's a work in progress.

For me, the $5,000 question is PUP or EAP? PUP is the easy choice since it consists of hardware upgrades that have to ordered with the car. There are things in the PUP that I really want, especially the glass roof. On the other hand, EAP is something I can add later if it becomes worthwhile to me.

If your budget only allows one right now I'd go PUP because it can never be changed down the road. I would buy the PUP and save up for EAP in the future even if you do take the small penalty for waiting which isn't that bad. If you purchase the EAP amount with a loan and you don't pay it off early you aren't really saving the full 1K anyways because of interest on the 5k.

Reactions: kenbefound
Hmmm this poll looks familiar yet different at the same time. ;)

I'm definitely buying EAP but I'm still on the fence with FSD. EAP is one of the most impressive and desireable things about a Tesla to me, I wish I had it every day during my commute.

I do realize it's not perfect but by the time I get my 3 they will have had some time for improvement and I have the patience to give it additional time to improve. I think you just have to purchase it realizing it's a work in progress.

If your budget only allows one right now I'd go PUP because it can never be changed down the road. I would buy the PUP and save up for EAP in the future even if you do take the small penalty for waiting which isn't that bad. If you purchase the EAP amount with a loan and you don't pay it off early you aren't really saving the full 1K anyways because of interest on the 5k.
LOL, you were the inspiration and at first I thought that's what your pole was asking. Then I became curious how my thoughts/opinions compared to others on Enhanced. I stated as such on your thread, then decided so start my own pole. But I'm in the minority on this one and my opinion has not wavered. Maybe one day Tesla will offer the feature at a more reasonable price, in the meantime I might spend those funds on a bigger battery or the PUP (still have 6 months to decide, a test ride and early buyers feedback to take in).

LOL, you were the inspiration and at first I thought that's what your pole was asking. Then I became curious how my thoughts/opinions compared to others on Enhanced. I stated as such on your thread, then decided so start my own pole. But I'm in the minority on this one and my opinion has not wavered. Maybe one day Tesla will offer the feature at a more reasonable price, in the meantime I might spend those funds on a bigger battery or the PUP (still have 6 months to decide, a test ride and early buyers feedback to take in).

Ugh I'm so on the fence, I feel like when you are a kid first climbing fences and straddling the top and finding out how uncomfortable it is lol. At $5,000 I am just not sure about EAP. With such a small local commute daily for work, I am not sure how I would use it. I live in Vegas and sure do drive on the HWY regularly, but just not 100% sold. Have been watching a lot of videos trying to see how other people use it, when they use it, etc. I mean yes I still have about 4-5 months until I would receive my M3 so there is time for them to release a new version, or do updates etc. But in its current form, I feel like when Siri first came out. On day one you were like "Siri do this, Siri what is the tallest human, siri siri", and then after that you never used it. I feel like it would be a cute little temporary gimmick for me where I would turn it on for a minute go "wooooohooooo" and then go back to the normal drive.

I don't know, I am still waiting on someone to really sell me on not doing it or doing it (not that it's you guys job to do so!) because I'm not getting it from Tesla. If I can save the $5000 now I would like to do it, and take the penalty in the future. I don't know! Ugh still so conflicted.

I look at it like this:

Here in MA, the sticker price is used to calculate both your sales tax, AND (a fun quirk of Taxachusetts), your annual property tax.

getting the FSD adds $3,000 to my sticker, as well as $187.50 to the sales tax...and $67.50 to the first year's tax bill.

Let's assume I get the car in 2018, and FSD isn't turned on until mid-2020....

Year 1(2018): $3,000, $187.50, $67.50 = $3255
Year 2(2019): $45 (value of the $3,000, depreciated, as part of annual property tax)
Year 3(2020): $30 (see above)

Total for 2018-2020: $3330

But here's the kicker.....if you add it later in MA, and not on the initial sale of the vehicle, you pay the standard 6.25% sales tax on the $4000($3000+the upgrade fee), and that's it. MA doesn't go back and add the "new" feature to the value of the car, so you don't pay the additional tax on it annually.

EDIT, for clarity: If I were to wait until it went "live" and purchased it as an add-on in 2020, I'd have to come up with $4250, a difference of $920 more than paying it up front, as well as the taxes on it.

In the end, I could sit on the initial $3,255 I would have had to fork over in Year 1....and if I invested it in something like....oooohhh.....TSLA, it's entirely possible that you'll make that money up on investment.

Keep the $3,000 aside, put it in Savings or a CD, where it will at least make interest, rather than letting Elon sit on it, not earning you any money.

YMMV, depending on the tax situation in your locality.....but I know the $4,250 hit in 2020 will actually hurt less in the long run than $3,000+ late 2017-2018.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I'm getting EAP at purchase time. I don't commute every day, but I have long drives for work that average 5-6 hours on highways each week. EAP is one of the key features I want from my car.

As an aside, anyone here from NJ know if EAP purchased later is subject to the 7% state sales tax? For those who don't know, EVs are exempt from the NJ sales tax. (Saving me $2450 on a base car and $3220 on my likely config)). Assuming EAP is $6000 if purchased later and also subject to sales tax, the true cost for me in NJ would be $6420 rather than $5000 when I purchase the car. Won't matter for me for EAP since I'm buying up front, but would add to cost for FSD in the future.