Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy Enhanced Autopilot on your 3 at purchase?

Will you buy Enhanced Autopilot at the time of purchase?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was "all in" with Enhanced Autopilot when it was priced $2500 for V1. But at $5000 for V2 I'm a lot more hesitant and at that price point decided I can live with out it. Unfortunately it appears they have bundled adaptive cruise control in with Enhanced Autopilot and I really wanted that feature on my next car purchase. When I saw the FSB pole I became curious where others stand on Enhanced and how many have decided to go with or without.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I know it's been asked before, but without EAP, the car still has side assist (warning), basic (referred in this forum as "dumb") cruise control and Automated Emergency Braking right?

Automatic emergency braking and collision avoidance are on the Model 3 specifications listed on the Tesla website. I believe the jury is still out on dumb cruise control, since they no longer have a dedicated cruise control stalk like the S/X (how do you adjust the speed?).

Reactions: CarlitoDoc
I’m skeptical that we’d get enough value out of it at this point. The technology seems like it will inevitably change dramatically over the next decade, so I’d rather sit on the sidelines while it matures a little. If I still had a long commute I might feel differently about the prospect, but I’m still one of those who actually likes driving the vast majority of the time. Perhaps when I start to feel my attention wander with age I’ll make the jump and let auto-pilot take over.

Interesting, so it's not accurate what I'm hearing; that V1 currently performs better than V2?
I wish they could software limit the current version to V1 and just charge $2500 for it. I would gladly pay that.

Until very recently V1/AP1 was better than V2/AP2. With recent V2/AP2 software updates, I think they're about the same (V2 might still be lacking perpendicular parking though, not sure). My understanding is that the future, fully-implemented V2 will only add entrance ramp to exit ramp highway driving, including autonomous lane switching and presumably highway interchange maneuvering.

I thought AP1 was originally $1,500 before being bumped up to $2,500 late last year/early this year(?). That included Adaptive Cruise Control, lane keeping, Summon, parallel and perpendicular parking and driver initiated lane changing. I don't see how AP2 is worth $3,500 more than the original AP1, especially when AP2 doesn't even provide improved functionality yet.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I value the autopilot (and eventually self-driving features) on a par with the EV feature. Hence I will buy EAP for day 1, and FSD once there is something beyond EAP. Holding on to the $3K cost for FSD in my tesla stock. by the time FSD is ready the stock appreciation could well match the additional cost of post-delivery purchase.

I’m skeptical that we’d get enough value out of it at this point. The technology seems like it will inevitably change dramatically over the next decade, so I’d rather sit on the sidelines while it matures a little. If I still had a long commute I might feel differently about the prospect, but I’m still one of those who actually likes driving the vast majority of the time. Perhaps when I start to feel my attention wander with age I’ll make the jump and let auto-pilot take over.

Ditto. TACC alone is not worth $5k. I use it very rarely in my AP1 Model S as I find it rather energy-inefficient and jarring at times (accelerating too quickly when traffic speeds up, braking too rapidly). The rest of the EAP features I can definitely live without; they are rather unrefined for the most part.