Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy FSD before the $1,000 increase on July 1st?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You miss navigate on autopilot too, but from what I've read I'm not sure how useful that is. People seem to say that it can't get out of the way if something is blocking the road on the lane is merged by cones or something like regular autotpilot, but then I'm confused on how it can auto change lanes.

Not sure of this was a reply to my post.

Enhanced Autopilot does include enhanced summon and Navigate on Autopilot. I use Navigate on Autopilot all of the time.

As I don't live in a place with crazy traffic and long drives are pretty empty two lane interstates, No i wont be buying it.

If they kept it at 7k but actually fully delivered on their initial promise (including improving Smart Summon and Auto Park) I would consider it. If they are going to keep bumping up the cost for every basic feature (stop lights are worth 1k?), there is no way I'll ever consider it. Autopilot would handle like 95% of my use cases.

Not sure of this was a reply to my post.

Enhanced Autopilot does include enhanced summon and Navigate on Autopilot. I use Navigate on Autopilot all of the time.

So do you think this feature is worth 8,000 US. Ha not a chance. tHats an expensive baby monitor. Absolutely useless IMO since you still need to basically pay attention and hold the wheel at all times. Whats the point

**** no. I'd spend that on performance parts long before something that would make the car more boring (unless you're a thrill-seeking beta tester).
  1. Anybody who works in tech views any self-driving auto with a very healthy dose of skepticism
  2. They just really started figuring out the Roomba after nearly two decades of development. I think a car's high-stakes habitat is slightly more complex...
  3. On highway, after ~20 minutes of driving, Autopilot is a godsend. The rest of the time, I'm fine with driving. I like driving. I have no interest in being shuffled around the city (unless I'm hammered). But I appreciate that it's absolutely life-changing for people with impaired mobility.

So nearly 4 years later, they're going to be back to the price they charged the early suckers for vaporware in 2016.

Nope. FSD was only $3000 back in 2016 (and was in many ways a different product than what is sold as FSD today). EAP was a separate, 5k, package and hasn't been offered since Feb 2019.

Nobody has ever gotten a refund that I'm aware of. For a while Tesla was even telling people who bought it ACCIDENTALLY in the app to get bent.

Also no- in-app upgrades have a 48 hour refund window- at least a few folks have gotten refunds on their acceleration boosts upgrades for example essentially using the 48 hour window as a free trial.

Tesla policy said:
For upgrades purchased from the Tesla app, you can request a refund from the Tesla app within 48 hours of purchase

I bought EAP on my 2018 and declined FSD. EAP is nice on certain roads and lengthy drives, but features like NOA and Summon are of marginal value to me. TACC is what I use the most. Anyway, my thinking at the time was FSD is pretty far out. Easily 3 years from 2018, but I *STILL* think FSD is 3+ years out now in 2020. So I think I'll get at least 3 years and probably 5 of driving my 3 with EAP and not be missing out on much. I would make the same decision if buying today. No sense paying now for something you won't get value from for 3+ years.

Nope, not for me. I love the idea of having it, but the fact that it doesn't "stay with your account" is probably the deal-breaker. If I sell, trade, or it somehow gets totaled, I'd have to repurchase it all over again. I think it's also worth mentioning that we're purchasing on the 'promise' that it will deliver this--meaning, we are buying something that we can't have now (yes, i know. investment)

...Not to mention the incentive to stay with Tesla for your next EV purchass FSD transfer would bring. IMO It's a marketing mistake.

Nope. FSD was only $3000 back in 2016 (and was in many ways a different product than what is sold as FSD today). EAP was a separate, 5k, package and hasn't been offered since Feb 2019.

I'm not sure what you're confused about.

In 2016, FSD cost $5000 (EAP) + $3,000 (FSD) = $8,000. You couldn't buy FSD without first purchasing EAP.

After July, if Elon is to be believed, FSD will cost $0 (basic autopilot) + $8,000 (FSD) = $8,000

Last I checked $8,000 = $8,000.

Reactions: tren01t and SigNC
You can't really "who's ahead" compare geo-fenced systems to AP in a meaningful way. They are on very different paths, although GM might be trying to cross over with "Ultra Crusie"? Even if GM is, well that's not a shipping or even demo'd system.

There is no shipping or demo'd FSD Tesla yet. Ironically, the Nov 2016 Tesla Video was 'preprogrammed' and geofenced.

AFAIK, neither the Waymo vans or the Cruise AVs are geofenced. Look for their videos on YT.

So do you think this feature is worth 8,000 US. Ha not a chance. tHats an expensive baby monitor. Absolutely useless IMO since you still need to basically pay attention and hold the wheel at all times. Whats the point

1, You act like a baby monitor is a bad thing. You know anyone with a baby that said "Nope no baby monitor for me".
2. I have used and loved autopilot for years. 1st with our Model S and now with our 3 as well. Lightly keeping my hand on the wheel has never been an issue for me. After all I need to put my hand somewhere. Lets also not over exaggerate you can remove your hand.Have driven to Florida and back with AP and it was awesome. Couple other general cases that have made AP great. Bumper to bumber Chicago traffic. It is a godsend. Driving home and being tired.
3. Resale value.

Reactions: smatthew
I’m getting real sick of my depreciating asset being tied to an ever increasing software license.

If it would travel from car to car (like my software does from computer to computer) then it becomes a more attractive proposition.
Correct me if I am wrong.

When you sell the car the buyer gets the license. You dont get to apply it to your new car as well. With the PC you dont get to transfer the license to say Office 365 to another PC while when you sell the PC to someone else.

Reactions: smatthew