Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy FSD before the $1,000 increase on July 1st?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought at 190 and sold it at 250. Do I regret that decision? No, because it was the right decision especially after reading "The Intelligent Investor". BUT, do I wish I never read that book hence I might have held on to the stock, heck ya.
Yup. I only have stock market index funds. Which, of course, have done very well. Not as good as TSLA, but presumably safer...

Anyway, I'll likely put in the order as well too... I think it is going to be worth close to $3k in resale value, so it's pretty easy to justify as a toy for the next year or two.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
I bought my Model 3 Performance two weeks ago and wanted to wait a bit before deciding if I'd drop 7k for it. Now that tonight is the deadline before the price goes up my final decision is that I am passing on getting it.

I am surprised that Tesla doesn't offer a week or month trial for FSD to get us hooked.

I was surprised to hear that the upgrade is tied to your VIN. If it was tied to your Account and transferable to your next vehicle purchase then I would without question purchase it right now. My worries are that if my car is totaled I am just out 7k. My auto insurance company is understandably unwilling to insure software. Even if I bought FSD today for 7k, if maybe I was grandfathered in for future purchases of additional vehicles that I may purchase in the future would be 7k, that might have been an incentive, but it isn't, you're paying the full price in the future for your next vehicle.

$7,000 for software that is tied to the vehicle is just too risky for me. Even my Tesla Rep has told me that he is so sorry he has to be the bearer of bad news to all of his customers who have to re-purchase FSD when their vehicle is wrecked or their lease is up. This understandably ticks a lot of folks off. Maybe someone can change my mind.

Yup. I only have stock market index funds. Which, of course, have done very well. Not as good as TSLA, but presumably safer...

Anyway, I'll likely put in the order as well too... I think it is going to be worth close to $3k in resale value, so it's pretty easy to justify as a toy for the next year or two.

next ride NKLA. Get in before too late. It is still in $60’s.
At around $400 NKLA will be at where tsla is now. It will be a while but if nkla gets the infra up, watch out..

• Funny
Reactions: willow_hiller
Nice gains so far, but I hope TSLA only makes up a small portion of your portfolio. As I was reading "The Intelligent Investor", TSLA checked virtually all the boxes for a Speculation stock that's overvalued. Of course there will always be people on the other side of the fence claiming TSLA should be worth 2000, no point getting into argument on its valuation, simply pointing out that don't put all eggs in one basket.

Of course - it's very well spread out, multiple funds, multiple 401k's and IRAs even. I saved a small - maybe 5% - chunk for "play money" and that's where my TSLA lives. It's now grown substantially (Bought in at $204) but it's still the play money. The majority is very well diversified.

I bought my Model 3 Performance two weeks ago and wanted to wait a bit before deciding if I'd drop 7k for it. Now that tonight is the deadline before the price goes up my final decision is that I am passing on getting it.

I am surprised that Tesla doesn't offer a week or month trial for FSD to get us hooked.

I was surprised to hear that the upgrade is tied to your VIN. If it was tied to your Account and transferable to your next vehicle purchase then I would without question purchase it right now. My worries are that if my car is totaled I am just out 7k. My auto insurance company is understandably unwilling to insure software. Even if I bought FSD today for 7k, if maybe I was grandfathered in for future purchases of additional vehicles that I may purchase in the future would be 7k, that might have been an incentive, but it isn't, you're paying the full price in the future for your next vehicle.

$7,000 for software that is tied to the vehicle is just too risky for me. Even my Tesla Rep has told me that he is so sorry he has to be the bearer of bad news to all of his customers who have to re-purchase FSD when their vehicle is wrecked or their lease is up. This understandably ticks a lot of folks off. Maybe someone can change my mind.

Good point. I think it would be covered under insurance if it was purchased with the car, since you can easily demonstrate the purchase price of the car.

Aftermarket modifications are also covered under insurance, so the AP software upgrade could also be covered, but you might have to let your insurance company know about it ahead of time.

But yes, goes with the car, so zero reason to do it on a leased car, since you won't get anything back.

I do think it would increase the resale value of the car. AP --> FSD is worth about $4k right now on a used model 3.

Reactions: GZDongles
I did add it to my account today to see if it had improved enough from the last time I tried it justify jumping on it before it goes up.

Right now the answer is no. I still have about 44 hours left in my return policy, so I'll give it a day or so.

I still think base autopilot covers about 95% of my uses.

My thoughts after trying it today.

NOA - Not really seeing much benefit here. The lane choices it uses were odd. Kept trying to get into the right lane even when there were people trying to merge. Or it would get behind slower traffic then never get back out. Also twice it freaked out when trying to figure out how to handle a double off ramp (off ramp that splits into two different directions). Had to take control both times because it started violently swerving at 70 mph.

Automatic lane change - the ONLY thing that seems extremely useful. I love just flipping the blinker and it changing. Now is this worth 7k by itself? probably not. I didn't see it intelligently changing lanes around slower people. Even on the highest setting it would sit behind a car going 10 under my TACC speed.

Stop Light control - Completely pointless at this point. This combined with not being able to set the speed higher than the speed limit makes this a net negative. Turned this off after about 15 minutes. It would try to stop even for lights that weren't turned on at all. It's actually more work than just stopping my self at lights.

Summon - Worked better than I expected. The range is pretty short to be useful IMO. I get why they have it but my main use case would be for my car to pull up to my office door when its raining. Due to the way my office is set up it, it's too far to make that happen. Still neat though, but would be used sparingly. Not sure I'd trust it in a busy parking lot.

Auto Park - Useless .. By the time I get it to sense a spot and get started, I could have been parked myself. Tried it 3-4 times and it never parked straight (due to balancing across from the cars, not the lines).

So really it comes down to is Auto Lane Change worth it to me (with a little bit of Summon in there)

I did add it to my account today to see if it had improved enough from the last time I tried it justify jumping on it before it goes up.

Right now the answer is no. I still have about 44 hours left in my return policy, so I'll give it a day or so.

I still think base autopilot covers about 95% of my uses.

My thoughts after trying it today.

NOA - Not really seeing much benefit here. The lane choices it uses were odd. Kept trying to get into the right lane even when there were people trying to merge. Or it would get behind slower traffic then never get back out. Also twice it freaked out when trying to figure out how to handle a double off ramp (off ramp that splits into two different directions). Had to take control both times because it started violently swerving at 70 mph.

Automatic lane change - the ONLY thing that seems extremely useful. I love just flipping the blinker and it changing. Now is this worth 7k by itself? probably not. I didn't see it intelligently changing lanes around slower people. Even on the highest setting it would sit behind a car going 10 under my TACC speed.

Stop Light control - Completely pointless at this point. This combined with not being able to set the speed higher than the speed limit makes this a net negative. Turned this off after about 15 minutes. It would try to stop even for lights that weren't turned on at all. It's actually more work than just stopping my self at lights.

Summon - Worked better than I expected. The range is pretty short to be useful IMO. I get why they have it but my main use case would be for my car to pull up to my office door when its raining. Due to the way my office is set up it, it's too far to make that happen. Still neat though, but would be used sparingly. Not sure I'd trust it in a busy parking lot.

Auto Park - Useless .. By the time I get it to sense a spot and get started, I could have been parked myself. Tried it 3-4 times and it never parked straight (due to balancing across from the cars, not the lines).

So really it comes down to is Auto Lane Change worth it to me (with a little bit of Summon in there)

Interesting. I'm guessing you have HW3 already.
I have all of those features with EAP with HW2.5. The only one that is missing is the stop light control.
But, I'm imagining that AP core features will only keep improving on HW3 and I have HW2.5, so eventually AP performance will be frozen, just like AP1 is frozen now.

Interesting. I'm guessing you have HW3 already.
I have all of those features with EAP with HW2.5. The only one that is missing is the stop light control.
But, I'm imagining that AP core features will only keep improving on HW3 and I have HW2.5, so eventually AP performance will be frozen, just like AP1 is frozen now.
Yup, March 2020 build, so FSD computer.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I bought at 190 and sold it at 250. Do I regret that decision? No, because it was the right decision especially after reading "The Intelligent Investor". BUT, do I wish I never read that book hence I might have held on to the stock, heck ya.
I bought at $265, sold at $315; but my pro-rated ROI is sky-high, since I owned the shares for less than 1 minute during trading hours. Back when Elon was in Twitter-trouble and got sued by the SEC, the shares were dropping like a rock. It also turned out to be the end of the Sept quarter, and Tesla sent me a message that they had a car matching my order, and could I take it in the next 5 days before quarter-end. I answered immediately that I could, and drove off to my credit union to start the paperwork.

Since there was no VIN and no way to do a wire transfer on a weekend, if the car came on Sat/Sun, the credit union said to do the financing after I got the car. Fine, but I'd still need the funds to pay, so I sold $50k worth of stock to have ready, to write a check on my investment acct. Come Friday, I found out, thanks to TMC, that probably a couple thousand people got the message blast about a car matching their order. There really wasn't a car waiting for me. I then bought 200 shares of Tesla at $265, with my $50k in the last 15 secs of the trading day, thinking Elon would settle his SEC lawsuit over the weekend, after his lawyers talked some sense into him.

Boom, Elon settles on Saturday. Stock rebounds on Monday, and I place an order to sell in the first minute of the market opening. Sold for $315.50. A quick $10k profit in one minute of ownership during trading hours. Too bad I can't replicate that ROI more often. Thanks, Elon, stay crazy!

There's never been an on-time and on-budget high tech project. That's how it is. And for all the vocal doubting Thomases in such threads, there's a silent majority who uneventfully love and use all the features of a fully equipped Tesla, and appreciate the OTA updates. Not too worried about what next and when.

I have a coffee mug with a number of IT sayings on it. My favourite is,

“A poorly planned project takes three times as long as planned. A well planned project only takes twice as long.” :)

This. Auto Lane Change is worth maybe $500 to me. I don’t even really want that, I just want the std AP to stop disengaging when I (the human) switch lanes. I’d be willing to pay for that. I prefer to change lanes myself anyway.

I didn’t pay for snake oil at the $6000 price and I sure ain’t gonna pay $7000 or $8000 for it. That being said, I bet they get many FOMO suckers each time they do this. So I get why they do it. I seriously doubt FSD will be fully available and approved by regulators in the lifetime of my 2019 M3P (I expect to have it 5 years). I took the $ I would have spent on that and got the M3P instead of LR. I’m happy with the investment every time I see a light turn green.

That being said, if they offered a subscription or something like a 24hr FSD pass for long trips, I would maybe go for that.

Last edited:
This. Auto Lane Change is worth maybe $500 to me. I don’t even really want that, I just want the std AP to stop disengaging when I (the human) switch lanes. I’d be willing to pay for that. I prefer to change lanes myself anyway.

I didn’t pay for snake oil at the $6000 price and I sure ain’t gonna pay $7000 or $8000 for it. That being said, I bet they get many FOMO suckers each time they do this. So I get why they do it. I seriously doubt FSD will be fully available and approved by regulators in the lifetime of my 2019 M3P (I expect to have it 5 years). I took the $ I would have spent on that and got the M3P instead of LR. I’m happy with the investment every time I see a light turn green.

That being said, if they offered a subscription or something like a 24hr FSD pass for long trips, I would maybe go for that.

Having just bought FSD in mid June when I took delivery, I don't care if we ever get full autonomous driving. As anpan aside, it confuses me that people still conflate FSD with true autonomous driving even though Tesla explicitly doesn't advertise FSD this way. The level 2 driver assistance features are better than what other manufacturers are offering and are well worth the $7k. I thought they were worth around $5K before I bought them, but I've revised my estimate upward since playing around with it for a while. People complaining about FSD not allowing them to sleep in their car or handle edge cases like toll booths remind me of the Louis CK sketch where someone immediately complains about inflight WiFi not working perfectly IMMEDIATELY after it's invented.

Limited versions of competitor level 2 systems that often barely match free autopilot are $1,500-$2,500. Often these require buying higher technology packages on the car to even enable the option. Cadillac SuperCruise costs $2,500 on top of a $3,500 option, and has a more limited feature set and is geofenced to certain areas (with no realistic promise of meaningful OTA updates). Based on all the data points we have, FSD appears to be priced fairly with the competition. I personally think they made a pricing mistake by making base Autopilot free. I think a $3k charge for autopilot and $5-6k for FSD would have been smarter, but I'm happy to get Autopilot included.

My biggest gripe with FSD is simply the name. People buy it and expect a hands free autonomous car. It's not that and it might never be that. I'm okay with that, but I can understand people's frustration if they either didn't understand what they were buying or if they got their car before in 2018 when Tesla was promising full autonomy

Having just bought FSD in mid June when I took delivery, I don't care if we ever get full autonomous driving. As anpan aside, it confuses me that people still conflate FSD with true autonomous driving even though Tesla explicitly doesn't advertise FSD this way. The level 2 driver assistance features are better than what other manufacturers are offering and are well worth the $7k. I thought they were worth around $5K before I bought them, but I've revised my estimate upward since playing around with it for a while. People complaining about FSD not allowing them to sleep in their car or handle edge cases like toll booths remind me of the Louis CK sketch where someone immediately complains about inflight WiFi not working perfectly IMMEDIATELY after it's invented.

Limited versions of competitor level 2 systems that often barely match free autopilot are $1,500-$2,500. Often these require buying higher technology packages on the car to even enable the option. Cadillac SuperCruise costs $2,500 on top of a $3,500 option, and has a more limited feature set and is geofenced to certain areas (with no realistic promise of meaningful OTA updates). Based on all the data points we have, FSD appears to be priced fairly with the competition. I personally think they made a pricing mistake by making base Autopilot free. I think a $3k charge for autopilot and $5-6k for FSD would have been smarter, but I'm happy to get Autopilot included.

My biggest gripe with FSD is simply the name. People buy it and expect a hands free autonomous car. It's not that and it might never be that. I'm okay with that, but I can understand people's frustration if they either didn't understand what they were buying or if they got their car before in 2018 when Tesla was promising full autonomy
If I had no automation, I'd say 7K for FSD would be worth it.

But I have Autopilot included for free. To me the gap in usable functionality between base Autopilot and FSD isn't close to 7K in value. I think like a 3K option for what used to be EAP is the perfect middle option. I really wish they would bring that back.

Reactions: Nikola3327
Funny that we have so many accountants here. Calculating lease feature depreciation, resale and ROI on having or not having the most kick-butt automotive technology, now and in the future? Sorry guys, and don't tell us about trying NOA for a few hours and confirming you don't need to spend the money, LOL.

Without the debatably named "FSD", you won't get any of the newer stuff. Simple enough. And I for one expect great things from Tesla at every turn. Either you play at this table or you don't.

Sorry it's not free. Did you buy your first smartphone by calculating how many call minutes you'd enjoy more? Did you settle for a clamshell phone? Did you get a Chinese phone with a tiny screen and no memory?

And I thought we were DRIVERS here!

Last edited:

I’ve been in many car forums over the years and this is probably the most disappointing part of the Tesla experience. Easily a large majority of the people here are NOT into cars, they’re tech people or here because Tesla is the new trend (followers). It’s more of an Apple forum/cult vibe here.

The amount of people who mention Tesla stock is hilarious. People who spend WAY more money on cars don’t spend nearly as much time talking about money in a CAR specific forum. Apparently everyone here perfectly timed the Tesla stock move in the last year...but yet there are countless pages of people whining about buying a $7k (now $8k) feature, lol.

The driving dynamics sub forum is decent though.

• Funny
Reactions: GZDongles
Funny that we have so many accountants here. Calculating lease feature depreciation, resale and ROI on having or not having the most kick-butt automotive technology, now and in the future? Sorry guys, and don't tell us about trying NOA for a few hours and confirming you don't need to spend the money, LOL.

Without the debatably named "FSD", you won't get any of the newer stuff. Simple enough. And I for one expect great things from Tesla at every turn. Either you play at this table or you don't.

Sorry it's not free. Did you buy your first smartphone by calculating how many call minutes you'd enjoy more? Did you settle for a clamshell phone? Did you get a Chinese phone with a tiny screen and no memory?

A true "Driver" would never even think about the FSD package as they would want to drive themselves.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhysicsGuy