TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Will you buy FSD on your 3 at purchase?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by jsrawa, Aug 6, 2017.

?

Will you buy FSD at the time of purchase?

1. Yes

96 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No

448 vote(s)
    82.4%
  1. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

#1 jsrawa, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
    I didn't see a similar poll here. I know I want EAP [Enhanced AutoPilot] but I'm just not positive FSD [Full Self-Driving] will be available during my time of ownership. On the other hand I hate to pay the $1K penalty should I choose to activate it later.

Poll obviously assumes you want EAP.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  2. kmngq

kmngq Member

dude, its going to be "no" for almost everyone.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  3. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

Well I'd like to see that not just assume it.

• Like x 2
  4. DrivingRockies

I won't be purchasing for your reason above.

5. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

Buying it up front is just giving Tesla an interest free loan to do the R&D with no guarantee when (if ever) it will arrive and how useful it will be.

• Like x 1
  6. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

Yes.

I am looking forward to experiencing new FSD features (for example stop sign and stop light recognition) as they are released, which I think will likely begin some time this year.

I don't expect complete "Full Self Driving" at first but that Tesla will start by releasing additional features that will require driver supervision and go from there.

• Like x 2
  7. favo

favo Model 3 Reservation Holder

I put no. Currently planning to wait for Perf model, pending more details. I like to drive. Also, given technical and regulatory issues, I'm guessing they're at least 2 years from actual FSD. Better off putting that $3K in TSLA stock for now. I'll keep my eye on any FSD demos that might happen, though.

• Like x 1
  8. jason1466

jason1466 Member

I think the question is do you want to sign up to be a test pilot for $3K. When I had to decide for my recent inventory X last day of quarter sale, I chose FSD. Now I can be that guy at parties telling stories about the current state of autonomous driving :). I don't think I will be sleeping during any drives this decade, but I would love to be proven wrong.

• Like x 3
  9. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

#9 jsrawa, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    In my state if I purchase it at the time of sale I believe it will increase my ownership tax due to increased MSRP. In addition if you finance the amount of FSD you're not really looking at that big of a discount or motivation to purchase up front. I'll probably wait but I could change my mind.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. chronopc

chronopc Member

I would consider getting it if there was any additional features. But right now you are not getting anything for $3k.

• Like x 3
  11. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

I will be getting my Model 3 in late 2018. So, it depends on what the state of FSD is at that time. If by then, we get some partial features for FSD that work well and would be useful to me, I might do it. But if FSD is not released at all or if the features are minimal and not working properly, then "no".

• Like x 1
  12. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Until FSD is released and working in the 'real' world AND Tesla is assuming liability for the car while driving in FSD mode, not just no but heck no.

• Love x 1
  13. McRat

McRat Active Member

The only reason to buy with FSD is if you believe they will never get it working, and get a buyback settlement that puts you ahead.

Other than that... Don't buy a dog that is 'sleeping' until you are positive it's not really dead.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  14. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Member

Don't they usually sell software features at one price during purchase and another greater price if upgraded at a later date? Until they specify how much greater that price will be it makes no sense to buy it initially if you can upgrade at any point for no penalty

-Randy

15. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

Right now, we know it costs an extra $1000 to upgrade to FSD later. So unless Tesla changes something, we know how much it will cost to upgrade later.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

That makes no sense. Clearly, the other reason and better reason to buy FSD would be if it was working.

• Like x 1
  17. McRat

McRat Active Member

Obviously. Right now, there is no timetable for it's release. The LA to NY run was cancelled. Assuming that some people are beginning to configure their cars, or will be soon, it really makes no sense to order FSD with zero functionality.

18. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

I agree it makes no sense for those people to order it now. But it could make sense for someone who is ordering the car next year if some FSD features are released by then.

19. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

I will put the $3K (+$1K lae fee?) down when there is a good demo (like LA to NY) and signs of governmental approval coming.

• Like x 1
  20. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

What the hell is FSD?????? Why do people use abbreviations/accronyms and assume that everybody knows what the hell they are talking about. If you want to reference AWD, do it correctly 'All Wheel Drive (AWD)', Premium Upgrade Package (PUP), etc..

• Like x 6
    • Disagree x 4
    • Funny x 1