Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy Tesla vehicle again?

Will you buy Tesla vehicle again?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on the fence with one foot firmly planted on the "no" side and another still on the fence... We originally wanted an X to go with our S but then Tesla decided, for reasons that make no sense, to pull the ventilated seats from the configuration options and frankly it's been downhill since then... There just is no really good reason to buy an X from our perspective... The lack of basic features combined with the current state of EAP/AP2 hardware/software and Tesla's increasingly awful lease rates just don't move the needle enough for us...

Oh and I was dead set on a X P100DL until countergate was fully exposed and now I no longer trust Tesla to do the right thing there so... I believe someone said above that they wish Tesla had a real competitor and I couldn't agree more... Tesla has really failed it's customers in a number of different ways over a number of different situations that "feel" like are becoming more regular...

I still love my Model S and I'm half way through the lease now... I'm not so sure I'll replace it with another Tesla when the lease is up... Tesla is not the company it once was and now operates with an ethical flexibility that's increasingly hard to stomach... I no longer advocate for Tesla and tell people that ask me about the car "love the car, the company that designed and built it, not so much". I've likely cost Tesla 2 sales, possibly 3, and don't really care. I've tweeted/emailed Elon, and others in the chain of command at Tesla, and gotten nothing back which is typical these days with really anyone at Tesla.

Such is life and judging by the Q numbers, I'm in the minority... Nothing will change unless sales fall off and Tesla is forced to listen to it's customers...

Jeff

You seem willing to go to war with Tesla over ventilated seats and I don't see the big deal. I am currently freezing my ass off in Orange County and it's even colder in San Francisco. I doubt Tesla simply flipped a coin to decide not to include ventilated seats anymore. They looked at demand, they looked at cost, they looked at value, and they looked at streamlining and other cost benefit/cost analysis factors before removing them.

And I bet you are "one of THOSE guys" who would write "Open Letters" asking for a retrofit to AP2 for your AP1 car. And even if you got your AP2 retrofit (which makes no sense), you would complain about how slow it is to get parity on an entirely new hardware and software platform.

I don't think Tesla leases make sense either and made an entire thread about it. I would just find a good buy in point and stick with the car. I have years and years and years and years for AP2 to bake in since I own the asset.

Is it actually smart to lease a Tesla?

I invite your two, "possibly/likely" 3 friends to have a chat with me. I can give them a more even handed, more logical, less emotional and less whiny analysis on the pros/cons of Tesla ownership.

If Elon spent time engaging with the likes of you instead of launching rockets and working on the Alien Dreadnought, I would be initiating a short immediately on $TSLA.

I would evaluate why I am in the minority.. maybe the majority is seeing something I am not..?

Reactions: Fiddler
You seem willing to go to war with Tesla over ventilated seats and I don't see the big deal. I am currently freezing my ass off in Orange County and it's even colder in San Francisco. I doubt Tesla simply flipped a coin to decide not to include ventilated seats anymore. They looked at demand, they looked at cost, they looked at value, and they looked at streamlining and other cost benefit/cost analysis factors before removing them.

The ventilated seats that I received are largely ineffective - you can feel a small difference on the hottest days, but it's nothing like Ford seats, for instance. I've also read that the had an unexpectedly high incidence of shorting out, but I don't know if that's true. Both of these factors likely played into the decision to stop including them.

The ventilated seats that I received are largely ineffective - you can feel a small difference on the hottest days, but it's nothing like Ford seats, for instance. I've also read that the had an unexpectedly high incidence of shorting out, but I don't know if that's true. Both of these factors likely played into the decision to stop including them.

I heard that as well. Really, the economics just didn't work out. Now if Jeff personally bought 100,000 Model X's annually, Tesla better find a way to solve the problem or just stop producing Model X's entirely. Or just close up shop if Elon isn't willing to schedule daily update meetings. :D

I tinted all windows including windshield the windows that came with factory tint. That helps tremendously with heat management.

The Ford seat and air conditioned/heated seats, not just ventilated. That makes a huge differences and, frankly, the only way I would want ventilated seats to be.

Reactions: Krypto Kat
@verygreen are you sure you're not @Debaser... I thought I was being negative but wow... I think you need to tone it down just a bit and relax... My issues are with things that are very correctable while your entire rant was something else all together... I don't know what Tesla did to you but I can assure you it's not a pyramid scheme or any other inappropriately shady term you want to use in it's place.

Yikes...

Jeff

He probably works for Chevron - I'd be angry too. Troll away !

Reactions: EVie'sDad
My hood had a gap that was larger on one side than the other . They fixed it while loaning me a p90d ( that I can't afford )

that terrible experience ; surely another company would have done better ?

2% wouldn't buy again

Yes. How about not having the gap to begin with?

But I get it, your opinion on Tesla is the only one that matters and everyone else is a useless complaining low life too stupid to understand that Tesla is the greatest and the best.

Absolutely!

I'm already committed to never owning another gas car.

And unless an ICE maker comes out with a significantly better version of something Tesla makes, I'm going to continue supporting the only company really committed to making positive things happen. Is Tesla perfect? Of course not, but who is? At least they are trying the hardest in my opinion and currently are years ahead of everyone else.

This.

Since ICE is no longer a option for me, the question is: Which long range electric vehicle would you choose now if you didn't already have a Tesla?
Answer: Another Tesla.

I only want to own one vehicle -- not one for city and another for cross country trips. Today, the only vehicle that can serve my needs is a Tesla. I will be looking at all available alternatives when Level 4 autonomous EVs are produced and at least partially regulated for use where I live. Given the current automotive landscape, I will buy a Tesla Model X or Y but who knows what will happen in the next 3-5 years?

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy my AP1 Model S with unlimited Supercharging.

Reactions: Saghost
If you have an opportunity to buy another new car, will you buy the Tesla again?
Please actively participate in the voting, your vote is important for reference to other people .

If Tesla is the best electric vehicle at that time, but I think Porsche and Audi are coming in hot and they will include all the creature comforts their regular cars have if not more.

Yes. How about not having the gap to begin with?

But I get it, your opinion on Tesla is the only one that matters and everyone else is a useless complaining low life too stupid to understand that Tesla is the greatest and the best.

Yeah that's exactly what I said..... no / not even close ? Good grief -

Your response however does clear things up more. There are people in this world that won't be happy with anything and just like to be hateful and angry. Go take a xanax and have someone give you a hug.

If Tesla is the best electric vehicle at that time, but I think Porsche and Audi are coming in hot and they will include all the creature comforts their regular cars have if not more.

I agree they are coming along - and in some cases have more comfort options without a doubt.

But - can they match ap1 or 2 ? If they next year are just at parity with current ap1-2 that would be impressive but in one year where do you think ap2 will actually be ?

Tesla has a monster head start in that space. I was at CES this Jan in Vegas and Audi was demoing their " future tech " and what they were demoing wasn't even as good as ap1 that's been out for years.

If in fact these major players can push the envelope then in fact I think Elon would be happy , which is why he shares patents. He wants humanity to push our capabilities , he's in it for very different reasons than other auto CEOs .

He has a vision - and other companies get their head in the game and help pursue it then so be it .

Never does he say " we only want to do this if it's tesla "

If tesla had not been so successful with AP would these companies be pursuing it as fast ? Probably not .

They have had the foundation to make change at many times greater scale and cars were barely advancing . Tesla is pushing them , pulling them or however you want to call it .

I love tesla ; but if another company leaps the tech side of what's possible with humanity for a reasonable price that I can afford , I'll certainly give it a very hard thought.

However fancier woven seats or perfect fit and finish are not what will attracts me - it's the tech that I'm interested in.

I feel like those buying a tesla thinking it's the most luxurious car out there are in for a disappointing situation.

My take - I could be wrong . Am I a fanboy yes ; but am I die hard Tesla for life no matter what ? Hell no. I love the best Technology , period.

Currently no one else is even close .

But - can they match ap1 or 2 ? If they next year are just at parity with current ap1-2 that would be impressive but in one year where do you think ap2 will actually be ?
Do consider that AP1 is a third-party tech available for sale to anyone who has the money.

Where AP2 will be in a year? Hard to tell, we can revisit this in a year, have any predictions? ;)

Do consider that AP1 is a third-party tech available for sale to anyone who has the money.

Nope. The camera and object recognition neural network and hardware used for AP1 are third party tech available to anyone.

Tesla added a lot of their own code in how the car responds to the things that the camera software hands back, which others haven't - that's why none of the dozens of cars that have Mobileye front cameras doing FCW and AEB and LDW have anything close to AP.

• Informative
Nope. The camera and object recognition neural network and hardware used for AP1 are third party tech available to anyone.

Tesla added a lot of their own code in how the car responds to the things that the camera software hands back, which others haven't - that's why none of the dozens of cars that have Mobileye front cameras doing FCW and AEB and LDW have anything close to AP.
Well, I don't doubt there's some integration glue from Tesla. Whenever it's as great as you think or Tesla just being brave enough to turn on a bunch of experimental options that MobilEye provided them in their code (and other vendors did not) - I do not know.