Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy Tesla vehicle again?

Will you buy Tesla vehicle again?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please quote what you perceive to be positive points for Tesla that won't be matched soon by other manufacturers other than the charging network.

Oh yeah, real soon now. :rolleyes:

Making promises is easy. And that's all the other vehicle makers can offer. How soon are you talking about here? 2020? 2025?

It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future. -- Karl Steincke

Tesla = local
ICE = road trip
SC = too much time
So disagree with this philosophy.

There are people who like owning a lot of stuff including multiple automobiles taking up space when not being used. I'm not one of them. Also, who wants to insure, register, and get annual inspections on a vehicle only used for road trips? I'd rather rent an ICE if it is not practical to take the Tesla. I did just that a couple of weeks ago and I hated not having AP and pumping gas. Fortunately, Superchargers and destination chargers are popping up all over.

My Tesla is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven for extended periods even though it lacks the luxurious interior of some vehicles I've owned. Agreed that Supercharging takes more time but I expect the battery technology and charging time to improve over time. Tesla has a leg up over competitors in this regard. In the meantime, the frequent stops result in a more rested trip for me.

Tesla = local
ICE = road trip
SC = too much time
Your opinion - not mine

I regularly drive from north-west of Toronto to Montreal, a 350 mile trip. I stop in Kingston, almost exactly half way at the SC. I have a bite to eat, use the facilities, check email and go. Just like I did with my ICE, and about the same amount of time.....so agree to disagree here.

Reactions: Casavant and Turing
So disagree with this philosophy.

There are people who like owning a lot of stuff including multiple automobiles taking up space when not being used. I'm not one of them. Also, who wants to insure, register, and get annual inspections on a vehicle only used for road trips? I'd rather rent an ICE if it is not practical to take the Tesla. I did just that a couple of weeks ago and I hated not having AP and pumping gas. Fortunately, Superchargers and destination chargers are popping up all over.

My Tesla is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven for extended periods even though it lacks the luxurious interior of some vehicles I've owned. Agreed that Supercharging takes more time but I expect the battery technology and charging time to improve over time. Tesla has a leg up over competitors in this regard. In the meantime, the frequent stops result in a more rested trip for me.

Yes, sucks paying insurance and tags for my cars that sit in the garage, but oh well you can't take it with you.

Smart move renting a car for trips. I need at least two cars since it provides redundancy. Tesla is definitely not the most comfortable car I have for long trips. Seats and suspension are mediocre at best. Road bumps and wind noise can be tiring.

Supercharging is fine for those on flexible schedules with the luxury of extra time. For others time is too scare to waste on SC. I got the Tesla to save 15 mins every 3-4 days at the pump, sitting at the SC negates this benefit for me. I avoid SC like the plaque.

Charging at home = win.
Charging at home on solar = priceless.
Waiting in line SC with valet = idiotic.

I can understand how supercharging can be inconvenient given the time involved. My time is also valuable but as I get older (51) I've learned that no time is really wasted, it just expires on us eventually. When I'm supercharging, it's usually weekends to and from my cabin, and I've made it a ritual of going to the Blue Moose coffee house while charging which is so much better than the old gas station stops.

When I do use my car for work around the Province, which doesn't happen a lot, I always have work to do and it doesn't make much of a difference if I review and write reports at my desk or in my car. So it's not a problem for me there either.

What does cause me concern is when I get to my cabin with low range and if there's an emergency since the closest town with a hospital is 1/2 hour away. I have an 80 amp HPWC but it still takes time to charge. Last summer, my wife and I went to see our daughter in Kelowna (2 hours from our cabin) and her keys fell out of her purse when she dropped her purse in our daughter's car. She didn't realize she had lost them until we got back to the cabin, and she was planning on driving her car home that evening, while I was staying. She was in tears when she called my daughter who found them in her car. I said at least we know where they are but I didn't have enough charge to make it back to Kelowna that afternoon, and by the time I got it, it would be too late to go. So she had to cancel plans and stay the night and we went to Kelowna in the morning to get her keys. Now if I was home instead of at my cabin, I would also have my Tahoe hybrid which I use in the winter and when we need to haul 8 people around, but at my cabin I often only have my Tesla and my neighbours are all seasonal so off season I'm often the only one there. If I arrive and get called home for any reason I can't just turn around and go home. That's my concern. But I can live with it. It's well worth the trade off to be able to drive a Tesla there and back running on 85% rain water (BC dams), and such a pleasure of a driving experience.

Last edited:
Given that Tesla is basically the only company on Earth making any real progress and effort to move us to sustainable clean energy, is there any other choice? I wish there was, but for now, there isn't. I basically feel obligated to continue buying Tesla until that changes.

They are the only game in town(albeit a very, very good game and the most amazing car of any brand I've ever owed). I certainly don't feel "obligated" to buy another but there just isn't any contender that is even close on any level.

They are the only game in town(albeit a very, very good game and the most amazing car of any brand I've ever owed). I certainly don't feel "obligated" to buy another but there just isn't any contender that is even close on any level.

For an electric vehicle, I believe you are correct. Nothing else is close other than the Bolt, and that car sucks the fun out of driving for me. I just can't do it!

For an electric vehicle, I believe you are correct. Nothing else is close other than the Bolt, and that car sucks the fun out of driving for me. I just can't do it!
True and it is a pity too. The Bolt can be a contender if they'd add 2 things

1. A robust cross-country fast charging infrastructure
Even though I can rent an ICE for planned trips, I need to be able to use my EV if I need to evacuate. I wish GM would either beg Tesla to be able to use Superchargers or get busy building their own infrastructure. Perhaps they can help expand EVgo.
2. Adaptive Cruise Control
I won't buy a vehicle without this. Traffic is not only tolerable with Tesla's TACC, it is actually enjoyable. Relax, listen to music and get there eventually. Autosteer is wonderful but I can live without it until FSD is a reality.

It actually makes me sad that the Bolt comes up short in these two areas as I know folks who can't wait for the Model 3 and cannot afford a used Model S with AP1

I bought a Model S 3 years ago, then traded it for a Model X last August. I hope service improve greatly,but, I have to say I purchased the Model X "in-spite of" the service. I hope the Jacksonville SC preforms better than the Orlando SC. I hope they all improve by the time the Model 3 arrives.

Reactions: Xiao ma ge
I bought a Model S 3 years ago, then traded it for a Model X last August. I hope service improve greatly,but, I have to say I purchased the Model X "in-spite of" the service. I hope the Jacksonville SC preforms better than the Orlando SC. I hope they all improve by the time the Model 3 arrives.
The same hope with you.
Hope the Chinese SC become better and better

I love driving an electric car and I love supercharging. I hope my car lasts long enough that by the time I'm ready to replace it, there are more options, but if there isn't I will happily buy another Model S. Or maybe a Model 3... I'm kind of a tightwad.
The using experience of Tesla let me feel the strength of EV car and i think i will not buy any gasoline motor car from then on.