Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy Tesla vehicle again?

Will you buy Tesla vehicle again?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. I need an SUV and the Model X isn't. Wife wants 20% smaller P85D and Model 3 isn't at least at first. So whoever offers what we want will get the sale.

We have kids in cars seats and the MX offers more utility than our current ICE SUV. We had a demo for five be days and it was so much easier to manage with three kids. I guess it depends on Hiw you use the MX that determines usefulness. Everyone's preference is different but in our case we can't wait until our lease is up.

Just curious, how many years are YOU willing to give Tesla to catch up to the other manufacturers regarding all the issues that are not related to the electric drivetrain? Tesla will always have this built-in excuse vs. the competition.

Give Tesla 5-7 more years to iron out the MS and MX issues. In traditional auto industry years it's very short but tesla is making tweaks every month and it will get better and on par with elite manufacturers. I agree with others the interior is lacking, however everything else about the car makes up for it tenfold.

Reactions: azred
Personally if I had a chance to do over my purchase again, I would not buy now but would postpone for quite a while.
I did read the forums and dismissed most of the complaints to the usual "vocal minority". Well, I drew the not so great ticket in the end and start to suspect the minority might not be so minor after all.
This is compounded by Tesla's outright deceptiveness and sleazy business practices on many fronts.
And I don't mean just EAP and FWD. The whole "greatly overpromise and totally underdeliver" runs deep with Tesla on so many levels.
I had a call with their legal counsel and was promised certain things that were not delivered, for example.

All the "it's a new car company give them a break" excuses were valid 2-3 years ago, but now? They've been doing cars for 5+ years, 11 if you believe my registration documents (body style of Model X is 2006). They might have at least learned how to do some stuff, right? Like inspecting cars before delivery, knowing of the common pain points and addressing them BEFORE the customer sees that stuff, you know, simple stuff.

I have a bad feeling that Tesla is going down in flames relatively soon under weight of various lawsuits, and it makes me sad because the car part of the Tesla cars I really like, but it's the execution that is very terrible.
Current EAP/FSD lawsuits were totally predictable back in January and they happened just as expected.
Next up - probably licensing violations lawsuit (I am surprised it was not filed yet for this long).

In fact have you seen some of the "Tesla is a sham company, a pyramid scheme, pump and dump operation" kind of conspiracy stuff? Some of it does not sound too outlandish to me now.
Have some good stuff, hype it up waaay out of proportion and sell-sell-sell while you can, while doing some minimal upkeep to delay the inevitable. Eventually the whole house of cards collapses literally overnight and you wake up to the "Enron" news.
Make sure most of the operation totally believes the mission and sees it as legit, of course, having loyal followers also helps a great deal.

Model 3 is likely going to be make it or break it moment, so we all will know soon enough, I guess.

Absolutely!

I'm already committed to never owning another gas car.

And unless an ICE maker comes out with a significantly better version of something Tesla makes, I'm going to continue supporting the only company really committed to making positive things happen. Is Tesla perfect? Of course not, but who is? At least they are trying the hardest in my opinion and currently are years ahead of everyone else.

Personally if I had a chance to do over my purchase again, I would not buy now but would postpone for quite a while.
I did read the forums and dismissed most of the complaints to the usual "vocal minority". Well, I drew the not so great ticket in the end and start to suspect the minority might not be so minor after all.
This is compounded by Tesla's outright deceptiveness and sleazy business practices on many fronts.
And I don't mean just EAP and FWD. The whole "greatly overpromise and totally underdeliver" runs deep with Tesla on so many levels.
I had a call with their legal counsel and was promised certain things that were not delivered, for example.

All the "it's a new car company give them a break" excuses were valid 2-3 years ago, but now? They've been doing cars for 5+ years, 11 if you believe my registration documents (body style of Model X is 2006). They might have at least learned how to do some stuff, right? Like inspecting cars before delivery, knowing of the common pain points and addressing them BEFORE the customer sees that stuff, you know, simple stuff.

I have a bad feeling that Tesla is going down in flames relatively soon under weight of various lawsuits, and it makes me sad because the car part of the Tesla cars I really like, but it's the execution that is very terrible.
Current EAP/FSD lawsuits were totally predictable back in January and they happened just as expected.
Next up - probably licensing violations lawsuit (I am surprised it was not filed yet for this long).

In fact have you seen some of the "Tesla is a sham company, a pyramid scheme, pump and dump operation" kind of conspiracy stuff? Some of it does not sound too outlandish to me now.
Have some good stuff, hype it up waaay out of proportion and sell-sell-sell while you can, while doing some minimal upkeep to delay the inevitable. Eventually the whole house of cards collapses literally overnight and you wake up to the "Enron" news.
Make sure most of the operation totally believes the mission and sees it as legit, of course, having loyal followers also helps a great deal.

Model 3 is likely going to be make it or break it moment, so we all will know soon enough, I guess.

I sympathize with your experience, and while your view may be a bit pessimistic, I find it becoming more and more common.
Doesn't this worry anyone?

US Quarterly sales data from Insideevs:
Quarter Model S Model X
2016 1 6390 2400
2016 2 5700 4540
2016 3 9156 5783
2016 4 7650 5500
2017 1 6100 4300

Large luxury sales are never going to be in large volumes.

Tesla competition is coming. I believe my next car purchase will be interesting. I have had a great experience with Nissan and my LEAF. I have a mixed bag with Tesla. I am not going to give Nissan that much credit but I'm also not going to dismiss an ICE manufacturer option either. I will only buy EV but I expect by 2020 that means many many options. The model 3, while I have a reservation, doesn't seem to be the car anyone thought it would be and Elon hyped it's steering and other aspects too much as usual. I would genuinely be concerned if I was a Tesla shareholder that the other shoe is poised to drop soon.

Reactions: mmd
@verygreen are you sure you're not @Debaser... I thought I was being negative but wow... I think you need to tone it down just a bit and relax... My issues are with things that are very correctable while your entire rant was something else all together... I don't know what Tesla did to you but I can assure you it's not a pyramid scheme or any other inappropriately shady term you want to use in it's place.

Yikes...

Jeff

There are some corporate practices I'm not entirely comfortable with - but no other car on the market is anywhere close to equal to my Model X for me, and Tesla also seems to be the only car company that's really serious about moving us into the future.

While I'm not thrilled with everything they do, there's no way I'll buy a different car until someone makes a real competitor, and there's a good chance I'd buy Tesla then, too, depending on the details.

Reactions: Fiddler
@bonnie

Regarding your most recent post, I sure hope so... IMHO, if they don't, then Tesla will completely waste the huge head start it has over everyone else and when they do catch up, these missteps will render Tesla quickly irrelevant...

Oh and do me a favor if you will...??? :p Ask them why they got rid of the freaking ventilated seats... :) Yeah I'm a bit bitter and I just can't get over it... :)

Jeff

@verygreen are you sure you're not @Debaser... I thought I was being negative but wow... I think you need to tone it down just a bit and relax... My issues are with things that are very correctable while your entire rant was something else all together... I don't know what Tesla did to you but I can assure you it's not a pyramid scheme or any other inappropriately shady term you want to use in it's place.
Well, I am pretty sure I am not @Debaser, but I understand him a bit more now.
Also note I am not saying Tesla is a pyramid scheme, all I am saying is those allegations don't look so outlandish to me now compared to before I got the car.
The deception IS real.

Well, I am pretty sure I am not @Debaser, but I understand him a bit more now.
Also note I am not saying Tesla is a pyramid scheme, all I am saying is those allegations don't look so outlandish to me now compared to before I got the car.
The deception IS real.

Oh come on... If you're going to make such outlandish statements then you must back them up with your perspective. What about Tesla makes you think it the term "pyramid scheme" may be applicable? What deception are you referring to that is so real?

Jeff

Oh come on... If you're going to make such outlandish statements then you must back them up with your perspective. What about Tesla makes you think it the term "pyramid scheme" may be applicable? What deception are you referring to that is so real?
Deception:
The whole HW2 transition/misrepresentation/promises left a very sour taste in my mouth.
Quarterly end sales pushes (this looks fishy to me, though is somewhat common in the industry I guess, but Tesla seems to be going to quite extreme measures here at times).
Lies about specs/things like battery sizes/not disclosing launch counters/...
Ignoring supplier (for lack of better word) obligations (the whole licensing debacle that is STILL not resolved).
Overall the overhyping is really bad.
All the closedness around the product implies (to me) there's something to hide.

Just to even it out a bit:
I love my car (Except for the parts that I don't): I love the FWDs (no idea how I would be able to live without them in the future), the panoramic windshield is great too (but I do hate the ghosting).

Again, I am not claiming Tesla is a "pyramid scheme", but there are some similarities at places.
Pump the hype, stock soars, sell more stock/raise more capital via stock issuance, repeat until the hype dies down. Eventually whole thing goes crashing down?
Am I 100% sure that's what going on? No, and am I 100% sure this is not going to happen? Also a no, sadly.

I have a 3 year lease that ends in 2019. I am already trying to decide which Tesla I want to replace my S with :)
Right now: NO competition. No matter what other manufacturers do with EV's Tesla is way ahead in the Supercharger department. That will not change for at least 5 years IMHO. Tesla's terrible QC department may need some competition. Most of us shrug it off because the car is so great.

Reactions: Fiddler
Things like horrible factory QC which really comes to the surface at the end of each Q... Given that Tesla has been producing cars now for a few years there is no excuse for this continued issue yet the issue continues.
Me, I know nothing about manufacturing automobiles, but my uncle is a retired manufacturing exec who spent 30+ years with GM. He is continually surprised by what Tesla manages to accomplish in such short periods of time. Whenever I show him posts such as this he chuckles and says, "If they think it's so easy, they should try it sometime."

Lack of features that you'd find in an equivalently priced vehicle are counted with double digits.
Perhaps the reason I'm not disappointed with my purchase is that I'm a not luxury-car kind of guy. I went with Tesla cuz its the most technically advanced auto ever produced.

I loved the theory behind EV's but was too cautious to jump into the Tesla pool, so I started with a Nissan Leaf just to get my toes wet. That experience sold me on EV's (but soured me on Nissan dealers). After that I was willing to take a deep breath and shell out more than twice what I've ever paid for a car before -- and I'm still happy with that decision.

Just sharing my opinion here, I,ve been an early adopter had hybrids for over10 years and Electrics for 5, but if BMW or Audi makes a standard sized electric car I would dump Tesla. Had a BMW i3 BEV and not a darn thing was wrong with it ( and I'm not a fan of BMW, only got it cause it was electric). Needed a functional backseat, which is why I'm in a Tesla. Sure Tesla's car is great but those misaligned panels and finger wide gaps with uneven lines on trim and interior fitments annoy me. I wish they had perfected the electric car before they went chasing failing FWD and Pano ghosting windshield, FSD and summon gimmicks etc.,

My Toyota Highlander has ventilated seats and they are not cutting edge tech by any means, and since Tesla is not shy of raiding the part bins of other manufacturers they don't get a free pass on this sort of stuff.

So yes Tesla better start paying attention to the fit and finish details or they could be the next "Pebble"

You can have my ventilated seats

They changed production options in order to streamline and in order to prepare for 400k+ demand on units.

I'd rebuy my car again with no ventilated seats and that would not impact one ounce of my decision.

The majority understand why they've done what they've done - like in all things subjective you can't please everyone .

I'm happy as pie - have the best car in the world.

#firstworldproblems

• Love
Reactions: Fiddler and MXWing
Perhaps the reason I'm not disappointed with my purchase is that I'm a not luxury-car kind of guy. I went with Tesla cuz its the most technically advanced auto ever produced.

I loved the theory behind EV's but was too cautious to jump into the Tesla pool, so I started with a Nissan Leaf just to get my toes wet. That experience sold me on EV's (but soured me on Nissan dealers). After that I was willing to take a deep breath and shell out more than twice what I've ever paid for a car before -- and I'm still happy with that decision.

Yes ! Exactly !

" I'm angry because my seats aren't ventilated " ..... sell the tesla and get a " superior " Toyota then ....