Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy Tesla vehicle again?

Will you buy Tesla vehicle again?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla just being brave enough to turn on a bunch of experimental options

You are right about that. So they should get a free pass if these systems aren't as refined as one would hope. I really wish they would devote more resources to refining the non tech parts of the car, and little less towards Easter eggs, gimmicks and such.

Unless of course they figured out that these gimmicks are what brings money into the brand.;)

Unless of course they figured out that these gimmicks are what brings money into the brand.;)

Depends on the gimmick. I'm not convinced that most of the Easter Eggs have much effect, but the X-Mas show was a brilliant piece of viral marketing.

I played it for both parties I took the car to last =year, and a couple groups of friends, and then a few more times in April - and every show got folks who hadn't been thinking about or talking about Tesla interested/curious and talking about the realities of EVs and owning a Tesla. I suspect most Model X owners could tell similar stories.

I bought my Tesla because it was the only EV available with a range that fit my needs. I didn't buy it for the brand or prestige. If I'm shopping for my next car (don't know when) I will consider every brand and option. Whatever fits my needs the best is getting my money. It could be Tesla, it could be BMW or any other brand.

I agree they are coming along - and in some cases have more comfort options without a doubt.

But - can they match ap1 or 2 ? If they next year are just at parity with current ap1-2 that would be impressive but in one year where do you think ap2 will actually be ?

Tesla has a monster head start in that space. I was at CES this Jan in Vegas and Audi was demoing their " future tech " and what they were demoing wasn't even as good as ap1 that's been out for years.

If in fact these major players can push the envelope then in fact I think Elon would be happy , which is why he shares patents. He wants humanity to push our capabilities , he's in it for very different reasons than other auto CEOs .

He has a vision - and other companies get their head in the game and help pursue it then so be it .

Never does he say " we only want to do this if it's tesla "

If tesla had not been so successful with AP would these companies be pursuing it as fast ? Probably not .

They have had the foundation to make change at many times greater scale and cars were barely advancing . Tesla is pushing them , pulling them or however you want to call it .

I love tesla ; but if another company leaps the tech side of what's possible with humanity for a reasonable price that I can afford , I'll certainly give it a very hard thought.

However fancier woven seats or perfect fit and finish are not what will attracts me - it's the tech that I'm interested in.

I feel like those buying a tesla thinking it's the most luxurious car out there are in for a disappointing situation.

My take - I could be wrong . Am I a fanboy yes ; but am I die hard Tesla for life no matter what ? Hell no. I love the best Technology , period.

Currently no one else is even close .

I think the other manufacturers are going to have a harder time matching the long distance cspabilities the superchargers provide rather than AP. Plenty of companies are working on full and semi autonomy, including Google and Apple which will provide their tech for others to implement. On the other hand convenient quick charging means a large capital investment and the traditional car companies are not willing to pony up. Who knows it might be the electric companies or gas stations which pick up the slack eventually. One thing for sure my next EV will have to do 400 miles on a full charge and take at most 20 minutes to charge up.

Reactions: Pilot4Hire102
I think the other manufacturers are going to have a harder time matching the long distance cspabilities the superchargers provide rather than AP. Plenty of companies are working on full and semi autonomy, including Google and Apple which will provide their tech for others to implement. On the other hand convenient quick charging means a large capital investment and the traditional car companies are not willing to pony up. Who knows it might be the electric companies or gas stations which pick up the slack eventually. One thing for sure my next EV will have to do 400 miles on a full charge and take at most 20 minutes to charge up.

The advantage of the Superchargers is way overblown. In over two years we've never used a Supercharger, and I have free Supercharging! Look at how many Leafs there are without superchargers. Fact is 90% of driving is done very close to home.

The advantage of the Superchargers is way overblown. In over two years we've never used a Supercharger, and I have free Supercharging! Look at how many Leafs there are without superchargers. Fact is 90% of driving is done very close to home.

Superchargers are going to matter more and more as more vehicles become electric. Yes, there are a lot of leafs out there, but because of the limited range they are primarily people's second car. They can always take their other ICE car (or Tesla) if they need to go somewhere outside the range of the leaf. Even if it is someone's only car they can rent an ICE car for a long distance trip.

The Tesla (partly because of it's range, but primarily because of the supercharger network) is the first electric car that is really feasible for long distance trips. And for use as an 'only' car without having to come up with other options if you want to go outside the range of the car and this is going to matter more and more as more people start looking at going electric.

Sure, not everyone will use superchargers and most people may use them rarely, but I think it will prove to be a huge advantage for tesla in the next few years and other automakers will be struggling to catch up. Not only will it be useful for people who need to travel longer distances with their car, but it will also help alieviate range anxiety for new purchasers and sell cars even if some people may never or rarely actually use them.

Reactions: dhrivnak and MTOman

I think you are very mistaken, the only edge Tesla has over other electrics is its ability to actually travel long distances. Now you might not use the capability but it is there, if you would have purchased that Leaf you wouldn't be able too. I do a long distance trip at least once a month and I doubt I am in the minority.

Before I get on my soap box again, just wanted to say great post as usual. I had to respond to this particular paragraph though because I think there is way more validity to the issues Tesla has created for themselves than you're willing to admit. There are serious systemic issues in play here that used to get glossed over and are now getting the attention they deserve. Things like horrible factory QC which really comes to the surface at the end of each Q... Given that Tesla has been producing cars now for a few years there is no excuse for this continued issue yet the issue continues. Before I get accused of a blanket statement, no not every car off the line has problems and I fully realize human nature when it comes to complaints. But that's not where it ends... Continuous software issues, hardware issues (FWDs have been a nightmare and Tesla still has issues with heat and the ultra sonics hidden in the FWDs), etc... Lack of features that you'd find in an equivalently priced vehicle are counted with double digits. Last but certainly not least, and I saved this one for last because of your willingness to share your service experiences, service centers are a joke. I'll say it again, a joke. That's a very strongly phrased way to say that there aren't nearly enough of them, the ones that do exist are overwhelmed in in high concentration markets, the loaner program is a farce, and the costs are absurd. I should not have to pay $500+ per year to have my Model S serviced while on lease for a car Elon has touted many, many, many times requires less service and thus is less expensive to own... I have had to take my car in a few times, including the yearly maintenance, and each time the car say for at least 2 days before it was touched even though I had an appointment for a specific time/day. I won't even get into the little things that are going to come of as petty that I've had to deal with when I got my car back the last time but suffice to say there are existing threads here that cover most of them. The Model 3 is going to CRUSH the service department and the collateral damage of that could, could very well signal the end of Tesla as a whole. Call that an overreaction if you will, I can appreciate how someone would think that.

I realize that perception and perspective are the most important aspects of this. If you've always had good/great service experiences with timely turnarounds, and a properly working as advertised loaner program, then it's easy to see why you don't see a problem. Same situation if your car was delivered flawlessly and you're happy with the features/design/functionality the car provides. It's impossible to know what percentages of owners fall in which camps, that's for sure. I'm not even going to postulate on any numbers since the data I have access to is so horribly skewed to the negative it's useless. However, judging by the threads here and my own experiences, there are very serious problems that are not getting addressed nearly fast enough which tells me Tesla isn't really interested in fixing them no matter what someone believes is the case. Actions speak louder than words...

Jeff
Is this your way of saying no to buying a Tesla again?

• Funny
Reactions: jeffro01 and MTOman
I think you are very mistaken, the only edge Tesla has over other electrics is its ability to actually travel long distances. Now you might not use the capability but it is there, if you would have purchased that Leaf you wouldn't be able too. I do a long distance trip at least once a month and I doubt I am in the minority.
The only edge? :rolleyes: If it was the only edge there is no way I would have bought a Tesla.

The only edge? :rolleyes:

Please quote what you perceive to be positive points for Tesla that won't be matched soon by other manufacturers other than the charging network. Clearly isn't interior comfort or amenities. Definitely not proper phone / music integration. Safety measures are on par, or behind other manufacturers like the joke which is blind spot monitoring. AP is nice, but the germans aren't far behind. I have a model S, I like it. It's a wonderful drive, but when it come to replace I will definitely shop around.

Please quote what you perceive to be positive points for Tesla that won't be matched soon by other manufacturers other than the charging network. Clearly isn't interior comfort or amenities. Definitely not proper phone / music integration. Safety measures are on par, or behind other manufacturers like the joke which is blind spot monitoring. AP is nice, but the germans aren't far behind. I have a model S, I like it. It's a wonderful drive, but when it come to replace I will definitely shop around.
"It's a car that you can actually purchase." When the vaporware solidifies we can restart this discussion back up. Until then we have no idea what the competition will actually produce and how good it will be or how much it will cost. I have no problems with the music integration. It's better than any of the rental cars I've driven lately. I havn't used my phone much in the car, but when I have it's worked fine.

Reactions: MTOman and EinSV

When I got my S over three years ago the forums were full of threads about other EVs coming very soon from major companies like Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Here we are over three years later and not a single one of those has something that can compete with Tesla, so I got myself an X! Who knows what the future holds, maybe some of those companies will actually have a mass production EV on the road by then to rival Tesla, or maybe they won't and I'll be going back to Tesla in another three years to upgrade to their latest and greatest.

I learned back then that just because a car company touts they have a Tesla-killer just around the corner doesn't mean they actually do, and until something else becomes available that can compete with Tesla I'm going to vote "absolutely I will buy". Too bad there isn't an option for "I will buy again unless another manufacturer actually has a comparable EV available to purchase at that time, then I will shop around" :D

Reactions: EinSV
The advantage of the Superchargers is way overblown.

Glad someone else shares my point of view here.

Yes, there are a lot of leafs out there, but because of the limited range they are primarily people's second car.

What's wrong with that when your second car serves 90% of your driving. Keeping ye old gasser for your 10% need is greener than buying a new EV.

Please quote what you perceive to be positive points for Tesla that won't be matched soon by other manufacturers other than the charging network.

I for one don't see any. Many others will however, disagree and some will even attack with spite for not worshiping Tesla and Elon.

• Funny
Reactions: oktane and mmd
What's wrong with that when your second car serves 90% of your driving. Keeping ye old gasser for your 10% need is greener than buying a new EV.

Nothing is wrong with having a leaf as a second car and I agree that it is a good green choice, but that wasn't my point. My point is that I believe that electric cars are going to become much more popular and much more common over the next few years. And as more and more people are looking to buy electric cars they won't have an "old gasser" to supplement their EV. And when people start going all electric then range is going to matter and the ability to supercharge and take a long trip will be important to people, even if they don't use it much. And honestly, I suspect that it will seem important to some people and help calm their range anxiety even if they never wind up using a supercharger after they purchase the car.

I'm not saying that superchargers are important to everyone... clearly they are not, but I believe that they are important to tesla both as a marketing tool and to help support the entire electric car initiative.

About to hit my mileage cap on my lease (probably in Jul/Aug) and have determined the best time to get out is just before I'd have to re-up the warranty which will leave me with ~8mos on the lease. So, I'm actively discussing a new S 100D. Mostly need to see some things align on the personal front before I commit. Will probably lease again.

The Model 3 does concern me in terms of its potential to really hurt the company if it doesn't go well. It's a big reason I will likely lease again, even though my driving mileage will continue to be way over the cap.

I enjoy my S 85D every day. The only other material thing that provides that much enjoyment is my iPad. I have no regrets that I jumped on the bandwagon.