Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy the Roadster 3.0 battery upgrade?

Will you buy the Roadster 3.0 battery upgrade?

• Yes

Votes: 21 19.6%
  • No

Votes: 38 35.5%
  • Still thinking about it

Votes: 48 44.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had similar questions concerning the Battery Replacement or the Battery Warranty so I emailed them the other day. I talked with Laura Chin at Tesla concerning the 3.0 Upgrade and she explained that if you have the Battery Replacement you could purchase the 3.0 for $6000 plus $1000 per year you have left. So, the way she explained it was if you are on year 5 of the 7 year Replacement warranty, it would cost $6000 plus $1000x2 or a total of $8000. She did not have any information on the three year Battery Warranty (but she would check for me).

That would be an unbelievably good deal, since under the terms of the agreement, you pay $2000 per year you have left (for the 53kWh battery). Maybe she meant an additional $1000/year, so in your example it would be $3000x2 for a total of $12000.

just guessing, like everyone else...

That would be an unbelievably good deal, since under the terms of the agreement, you pay $2000 per year you have left (for the 53kWh battery). Maybe she meant an additional $1000/year, so in your example it would be $3000x2 for a total of $12000.

just guessing, like everyone else...

My agreement says $1,000 per year that you have to pay if you opt for the replacement before year 7, and Tesla pays me $1,000 per year after year 7 up to 10 years.

I had similar questions concerning the Battery Replacement or the Battery Warranty so I emailed them the other day. I talked with Laura Chin at Tesla concerning the 3.0 Upgrade and she explained that if you have the Battery Replacement you could purchase the 3.0 for $6000 plus $1000 per year you have left. So, the way she explained it was if you are on year 5 of the 7 year Replacement warranty, it would cost $6000 plus $1000x2 or a total of $8000. She did not have any information on the three year Battery Warranty (but she would check for me).

She also mentioned something about a Tire Upgrade option coming later this year. She had no other information other than knowing that it was coming. I asked if she would notify me when she had more info concerning both the Battery Warranty and the Tire Upgrade.

Good additional info. Now I really wish I had gone for the battery replacement program, but not a biggie overall.

I am more interested in the other 3.0 features, which my service manager assured me months ago could be ordered a la carte. Good to hear the tire upgrade (lower rolling resistance) is coming. Now it would be great to have more info on the aero bodywork bits.

My agreement says $1,000 per year that you have to pay if you opt for the replacement before year 7, and Tesla pays me $1,000 per year after year 7 up to 10 years.

Ditto. And then you have to take it at year 10 or you lose it.

It sounds like there was some confusion over Battery Replacement Option (which you & I have) and the extended Battery Warranty, since the terms seem to have both been used. Nvbob, do you know which one she was talking about?

I had similar questions concerning the Battery Replacement or the Battery Warranty so I emailed them the other day. I talked with Laura Chin at Tesla concerning the 3.0 Upgrade and she explained that if you have the Battery Replacement you could purchase the 3.0 for $6000 plus $1000 per year you have left. So, the way she explained it was if you are on year 5 of the 7 year Replacement warranty, it would cost $6000 plus $1000x2 or a total of $8000. She did not have any information on the three year Battery Warranty (but she would check for me)...

If this is true then I will definitely be purchasing the 3.0 battery upgrade. I might wait a year or two so I don't have to pay much more than 6k.

I am more interested in the other 3.0 features, which my service manager assured me months ago could be ordered a la carte. Good to hear the tire upgrade (lower rolling resistance) is coming. Now it would be great to have more info on the aero bodywork bits.

Ok, yeah, so this is interesting... With the new battery we get an additional 85 miles of range for $29k. To get to the target 400 miles, the rest of the upgrades (aero stuff, wheel bearings, tires) would need to cover the remaining 70-ish miles. My battery is at 147 CAC after 32.4k miles, so I'm thinking if I can get about half of the total mileage benefit for a lot less than $29k, that would be the smart way to go now. That's all I'd need to reach a few key destinations without stopping along the way. Then when the battery CAC drops a bunch more, go for the new battery.

Any guesses what the other parts will cost?

Maybe she meant an additional $1000/year, so in your example it would be $3000x2 for a total of $12000.

I verified (by repeating back to her) that it was $1000 per year.

Now it would be great to have more info on the aero bodywork bits.

I asked about the Aero but she didn’t have any info on it (yet).

It sounds like there was some confusion over Battery Replacement Option (which you & I have) and the extended Battery Warranty, since the terms seem to have both been used. Nvbob, do you know which one she was talking about?

At first we specifically talked about the Battery Replacement Option which is the $6000 plus $1000 per year to do the 3.0 Battery Upgrade.

I then asked about the extended Battery Warranty (which I have - NOT the Battery Replacement Option) and she did not have any information on it. She is going to ask and pass any info back to me. I will then share it with the forum.

Any guesses what the other parts will cost?

When I was talking with Laura, it appeared (and she stated) that their team wasn’t given very much information on the other upgrades (aero, tires, brakes, bearings, etc). And any specific technical information on the Battery Upgrade they obtained through asking their superiors on behalf of the customers. Her team is a sales team and not at technical team.

She did invite me to either email or call if there were any further questions.

Hopefully this answers some of your questions.

My battery is still in fine shape and I never drive my Roadster outside of Vegas, so $29k is just not worth it. For that amount additional, I might be able to trade in my Roadster Sport for a pre-owned P85+ Model S. (In fact, now that I think about it, maybe I will.)

If the upgrade came with Supercharging and performance boosts, I'd think about it.

Ditto. And then you have to take it at year 10 or you lose it.

Right, and if it was battery replacement, does that mean if I wait until year 10, it is $6000 minus the $3000 I get for waiting 3 years past 7? That would be outstanding! And of course, if the price for the upgrade dropped over the next 6 years by over $3000, maybe they'd pay me to take it! :wink:

Ok, yeah, so this is interesting... With the new battery we get an additional 85 miles of range for $29k. To get to the target 400 miles, the rest of the upgrades (aero stuff, wheel bearings, tires) would need to cover the remaining 70-ish miles.

I hope no one is expecting to get 400 miles. Tesla couldn't do it on their car with all mods in place, and the statement was I believe "about" or "close to" 400 miles.

I recently did my longest trips ever on a single charge in the Roadster (206 miles with 20 still left in the battery and including a climb from 200m up to 1200m and down to 650m on the way). The car has 40k miles on it and frankly my rear can't take a longer drive even if the battery can! :)

I'd pay $30k for:
1) Supercharging -> giving fast and easy road trips
2) less weight -> giving greater acceleration
3) more power -> giving greater acceleration
4) liquid cooled PEM and/or motor -> giving better hot weather and hard driving performance

I don't think I'll be buying this upgrade if all it does is increase battery capacity, and certainly not if it results in greater weight and no faster charging. Come to think of it, a 100% charge will take even longer if it goes from 45kWh to 70kWh :(

Roadster is for fun. The model S is for road trips.

I hope no one is expecting to get 400 miles. Tesla couldn't do it on their car with all mods in place, and the statement was I believe "about" or "close to" 400 miles.

The battery upgrade, by my math, should increase range from "245" to about 330. Still quite short of 400-ish in my book. We accept that these aren't precise or guaranteed numbers, but how much do we think just the non-battery upgrades would net? I recall another TMC member has done some considerable aero work on his roadster, with some impressive results. Tires, bearings, etc. would be on top of that. What does it all add up to?

Top-of-the-head, zero-research history (corrections and links welcome):

0. At 2013 Teslive, Musk said that in 2014 Tesla would "circle back and do something nice for Roadster owners"
1. Very late 2014, when asked about that promise, Musk says "400-mile" Roadster battery is coming, but delayed until Spring 2015. (I think he said "400" at first, but later said "near 400". I am pretty sure he just said "battery" at the time). A battery and/or 400 miles may have been mentioned earlier in the year, but I don't remember details.
2. Tesla blog (Feb 2015) says in their first test, they made a 340-mile trip with a 20-mile buffer. That does meet 360, but of course is not an EPA number. Blog notes changes to battery, aero, and rolling resistance.
3. When later asked (on an earnings call?) about the 400-mile battery, Musk says "it's more like 360".
4. Tesla email (which I didn't save, so this is from memory) says battery plus wheel/tire/brake/aero improvements should net 40-50% improvement. I think this also said reservations could be made in Spring for Summer installation. On some call around this time, Musk said "safety validation" should be done by July, so he hopes for availability in August.
5. Sep 1, Tesla releases battery that is slightly less than 35% more capacity, and heavier, but they claim will net 35% improvement
6. So...future enhancements will get us another 5 to 15%?

I would guess (pure speculation) the EPA highway rating of the new battery would be somewhere around 320; though 330 is probably possible on a reasonable-speed highway drive in good weather.

The EPA numbers for the whole kit (if ever released; I don't think they have to) will probably be in the 340's - which is a FANTASTIC bump over my car's original 244, but no 400. But 360 miles is probably quite possible if you have all the updates and drive no more than 65mph (I hope, maybe you'd have to stick to 60mph) in good weather.

Just my guess. We'll see. Maybe they won't even release the rest of the stuff. Or maybe it will be priced so high it won't matter except for just a couple of us.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly.

Battery upgrade - $29k
Aero, brakes, bearings, tires, etc. - ~$15k all together?

So ~$45k to get ~360 mile range?

We're saving for the M3. $45k will get us a nice one.

Just my thoughts.

$15k was my thought also. My hope was that it would net another 20% to 30% in mileage at normal freeway speeds, and that combo would be well worth it for me.

The M3 is interesting from a tech perspective, but I already have a 200 mile range car...

?..but how much do we think just the non-battery upgrades would net? I recall another TMC member has done some considerable aero work on his roadster, with some impressive results. Tires, bearings, etc. would be on top of that. What does it all add up to?
Obviously those who aren't working for Tesla on the Roadster 3.0 upgrade project can only speculate, as @ChadS has done, and his numbers seem possible but of course are just speculation (as he acknowledges).
I have placed my order for the 3.0 battery and no other pieces of the total 3.0 upgrade, since they aren't available yet. It will be interesting to test just how far the 3.0 battery can go without any of the per 3.0 modifications. Then later, some of us can get the complete 3.0 package and see how far they can go. Then we will have a better idea. Patience...