Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you defer your deliver to wait for the EV tax cred?

Defer the order (Yes/No/Maybe)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla would have to give me a *real* incentive to take delivery this year...as in lower my purchase price more than $10,667 (equivalent to an $8000 tax credit for me) vs. free FSD which I'm not interested in anyway.
I'm all for being incentivised to buy this year but there is a 0.001% chance that they would take 10k off the cars to sell them. Most people would buy still with a big fsd discount I think.

Reactions: shoemakj
Tesla would have to give me a *real* incentive to take delivery this year...as in lower my purchase price more than $10,667 (equivalent to an $8000 tax credit for me) vs. free FSD which I'm not interested in anyway.
Are you assuming that the credit would come off the retail price, so that you would then pay less sales tax? I am not sure the details of the point of sales credit, but I don’t expect it to work like that. I expect the credit to apply at the last step in the calc, so that local sales tax is still due as if you were not getting the credit.

Reactions: shoemakj
Except the discount would also be after-tax dollars
D'oh! 😖 Yes, I was conflating pre-tax with tax liability. What I was thinking is that in order to reduce my federal tax liability by $8,000 in 2021, I would need to reduce my income by $10,667. (That would actually be $32K) But now that I type that out, it makes no sense. This is why I have a tax accountant 😜

Still, I'm not taking FSD in place of real money, because it doesn't have $8,000 of perceived value to me.

Are you assuming that the credit would come off the retail price, so that you would then pay less sales tax? I am not sure the details of the point of sales credit, but I don’t expect it to work like that. I expect the credit to apply at the last step in the calc, so that local sales tax is still due as if you were not getting the credit.
No, I was being stupid, aka "Math in public"