Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you get "TankMode" added to your Model S?

Will you add the Titanium underbody?

• YES! TankMode Enabled!

Votes: 154 84.6%
  • NOPE! Commando Style...Bring it on

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Already Have it, I'm a Player!

Votes: 16 8.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My only reluctance with going along with the wink nod theory is that, in my experience, regulators/watchdogs will issue orders for corrective action even if the mfg is doing it on their own. If there is an issue, they will follow through with the paperwork to make sure their voice is heard and that they are in compliance with their mandate. I'm not sure the NHTSA has the flexibility to do it on a wink and a nod. Of course I do not work for the NHTSA so I can not say for sure.

I don't think there's any wink and nod either. NHTSA didn't find anything to recall and that's all there is to that IMO. As for the shield, I'll probably add it if it's not too heavy or restricts ground clearance by any significant amount (from the pics it doesn't appear that it does). The best part about all this is really the fact that now I have something else I can say to the ICE Droids who always have to bring up the "the risk of fires". This should finally put an end to at least some of that.

I've had my car for over a year now
I'm not interested in this for several reasons:
Even Elon doesn't believe this is essential.
It's an unnecessary added weight and drag.
As a shareholder I don't endorse pointless costs to the company.
And finally, I believe Elon said any fire damages are covered by the warranty - as rare as that will be.

Meh. A little more protection for something that won't happen anyway, why not? It won't affect drag (they say); the weight is negligible; the range impact is on the order of a few tenths of a mile at the most. So, no harm, effectively, for this protection in case of an exceedingly unlikely circumstance.

If it were "by request only," I might not bother requesting it, but with 5.9 out plus I'm overdue on my service plus it sounds like they'll do it automagically . . . that's fine with me. "Engage shields."

Not meaning to be snarky but-
Really, is that why they closed the investigation without ordering a recall? Because they thought there was a safety problem than needed to be addressed?

The NHTSA closed the investigation (for now) because Tesla told them they'd do a voluntary free retrofit for everyone, and proved to them that the combination of ride height modification and reinforcement would mitigate the potential for future problems similar to the ones investigated.

As I posted in another thread, a similar thing happened with Chrysler last year - Chrysler started by fighting a recall and ended up doing a voluntary free fix, which satisfied the NHTSA.

Also, I'd be interested in hearing about anyone bringing their car in for something else and successfully refusing the retrofit. Do they make you sign a waiver, for instance?

My car goes in for service on April 1 (Tuesday). And has been scheduled for the service for about 3 weeks now. So way before any of this was public. I'll see how the SC approaches it with me. The SC seems like they specifically pushed me out past the announcement, now looking back on the phone conversation.

I shall indeed avail myself of the transformation...

mad-max-police-car.jpg

I'll opt in for Tank Mode as well, but one key question is whether repair costs for running over an object is lower with Tank Mode enabled. I'm guessing Tesla's price to replace one or more of the shield elements (after a deflect or destroy event) won't be cheap. However, I would also guess that that cost, whatever it might be, will still be better than the cost to repair the undercarriage (or replace the battery) had I not opted in for the shields. What do others think?

I'll opt in for Tank Mode as well, but one key question is whether repair costs for running over an object is lower with Tank Mode enabled. I'm guessing Tesla's price to replace one or more of the shield elements (after a deflect or destroy event) won't be cheap. However, I would also guess that that cost, whatever it might be, will still be better than the cost to repair the undercarriage (or replace the battery) had I not opted in for the shields. What do others think?

Yes, cheaper than undercarriage or battery repair/replacement. But also, the point is to protect things...not to have something else that gets damaged and needs repair/replacement. Based on their videos, I expect, in the extremely unlikely case I run over a piece of concrete, toe hook, or alternator (?!), that the parts protecting my car won't need tinkering with. Otherwise it seems as likely that they'd be damaged enough that the battery, too, could be damaged, which would make this whole exercise pointless. Maybe I'm naive?

I'm ignoring cosmetic damage, obviously. No one ever sees the underside of my car; I may have scrapes and dings there already that don't matter.