Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you go 100% electric in the next 5 years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way Lloyd phrased it would be the way I feel about it too. My 11 year old minivan will remain the long hauler until there are enough superchargers out there. If the van becomes unreliable and there aren't enough super chargers then, I will either rent or drive a PHEV.

After spending a year driving my Roadster, range anxiety has become a non-issue. With the introduction of the Model S and Model X and watching the growing infrastructure, I realized I didn't need an ICE vehicle in my life. When I take delivery of my Model X, I'll sell my Prius and be 100% electric. On the rare occasion where I might need an ICE, I'll rent.
My idea is to be a EV+PHEV home. That takes care of 90% of the gas usage.

We plan to replace my wife's CUV with either C-Max Energi (or Mitsu PX-MiEV) end of this year/early next year.

If I get S or X - that will replace my Leaf.

Here's the thing... with 320 miles of range (I'm getting the aero wheels as that extra 20 miles can make a difference on a road trip) I'm going to want a break after that long anyway. What I've learned with the roadster is you can find at least a 240volt outlet just about anywhere, especially in less urban areas since most any RV park has them. And in urban areas at least in CA there are J1772's around pretty consistently.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really hoping for superchargers to be convenient, but with 320miles of range, it's not a have to have as long as I can fine a place to plug in overnight or for a long rest stop.

Also keeping my 11-year old minivan for trips to Lowes & Home Depot, camping trips and leaving it at the long term airport parking during business trips. What bites on keeping it are the repair costs!

I go into NYC once/week. Depending on what part of the city, it can be a 35-55 mile trip each way. I would be anxious leaving the vehicle on the street for a good part of the day. In densely populated areas the frequency of vandalism, theft, car jacking’s and fender benders is sometimes increased.

Also, during the first few years am certain many of us "baby" our new vehicles.

Yes within 5 years i will go 100% electric with personal transport and hopefully i will have some solar to p0wer my home, of course i will have to fly long distances but maybe that will be possible with biofuels or something. I will do my best i think that is what matters.

100% electric by 2017? Nah. Ain't gonna happen.

My wife *loves* to cook, and *hates* an electric cooktop. Not enough control for her. So we have a gas range. Actually, its a dual fuel jobbie. Gas range, gas/electric oven with self-clean feature. (Gotta keep her happy, you know). And I'll *still* have to swap out the 50-gallon gas-fired hot water heater and the zillion-BTU gas furnace for something electric. No real benefit in that except for the "All Electric Home" badge, so we'd have to move before the house is weaned off of gas.

Oh. Transportation only?
*Still* ain't gonna happen. I don't see an electric airplane becoming practical for at least a decade. Probably more.

Oh. Cars only?
Okay, ya got me. But it may take a bit longer than 5 years. I will probably have no qualms over getting rid of my petro-eaters when their time is up, but we keep our cars until they were dead six months ago and didn't know it. Don't know if they'll all be gone by 2017 or not.
But one of 'em is leaving when my Model S build number comes up, ready or not.

-- Ardie

My wife *loves* to cook, and *hates* an electric cooktop. Not enough control for her. So we have a gas range. Actually, its a dual fuel jobbie. Gas range, gas/electric oven with self-clean feature. (Gotta keep her happy, you know). And I'll *still* have to swap out the 50-gallon gas-fired hot water heater and the zillion-BTU gas furnace for something electric. No real benefit in that except for the "All Electric Home" badge, so we'd have to move before the house is weaned off of gas.

Induction ranges are pretty damn good. They can boil some water faster than gas, but you do lose a tiny amount of control. I want one but they are really expensive.

EDIT: But you can't use some cookware. Copper and most Aluminum Stainless.

Ground Source (Geothermal - not quite accurate trade name) Heat Pump. Use it to heat and cool your house, heat your water. I am saving up for one of these.

By vehicle count, 67% this year when Model S arrives. By vehicle miles driven we'll be about 95%.

After our S arrives we'll be keeping the wife's current daily driver (diesel Jeep Liberty) to haul my motorcycle trailer to the track, trips to Tahoe for skiing and camping trips. They talked about Model X being able to tow but I fear the range will be so negatively impacted it won't work for my needs. Also I know Model X could be used for ski trips and such but we sometimes day-trip and I haven't seen a charging station in a ski resort parking lot or wilderness trail head yet....

My cars will probably be 50% electric in 5 years. One EV, one EREV, and one ICE. Maybe that really "adds up" to 60%.

However, if there are enough SuperCharger locations, and 30 amp J1772 at most hotels and lodges, I would go 100% EV. I don't expect that in five years, but maybe ten if we're lucky.

GSP

PS. Interesting that availability of suitable EVs will not be an issue at all. Just charging opportunities will be needed. That really is something, and it is the "new normal."

I really, really, really want the Mercedes tank-wagon to be the last ICE we'll ever own.

That depends on getting a dog-friendly wagon with either 300mi (w/ sufficient supercharger network in the west) or 500m range. I don't like SUVs and the high-up about-to-fall-over feeling I get driving them, and not-big dogs don't have a place in them where they can see out.

...within the next 8 months when our Model S arrives...:smile::smile::smile:

After spending a year driving my Roadster, range anxiety has become a non-issue. With the introduction of the Model S and Model X and watching the growing infrastructure, I realized I didn't need an ICE vehicle in my life. When I take delivery of my Model X, I'll sell my Prius and be 100% electric. On the rare occasion where I might need an ICE, I'll rent.

How many of you are getting rid of your ICE?

I have no reason to sell an 8-year-old car with resale value == scrap value, so I'll still have it available, but I don't plan to be driving it.

On the other hand, my life won't be 100% electric -- my house still uses methane for the stove and the heating. Not yet completely off of fossil fuels....

Here's the thing... with 320 miles of range (I'm getting the aero wheels as that extra 20 miles can make a difference on a road trip) I'm going to want a break after that long anyway. What I've learned with the roadster is you can find at least a 240volt outlet just about anywhere, especially in less urban areas since most any RV park has them.

In areas where the RV parks are year-round, that's true... but look at the trouble Doug is having planning a road trip in the winter in the Northeast. This is yet another reason why California is NOT the place which needs the Supercharger network first; the frozen north is.

100% electric by 2017? Nah. Ain't gonna happen.

I'm hoping that biomethane will start becoming available. We decided that gas ranges simply didn't have an adequate substitute. However, that's a tiny use of gas, and if the only world methane usage were for ranges, it would be quite easy to supply it all with biomethane.

Replacing gas heating with geothermal is viable if you've got the land, and replacing it with electric is viable if the house is well-enough insulated to have a low heating energy demand. You'd be amazed at what you can get from superinsulation; you can cut your heating usage by 80% (to 20% of what it was before) if it's done right. It's hard to do in single-wall masonry houses where you like the exterior, but pretty straightforward (though involved) in any other type of house.