Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you label your car a hybrid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LPG cars need a sticker to warn emergency personnel to be careful and treat a damaged vehicle accordingly. With EVs and hybrids there is a high voltage danger that isn't present in a pure ICE car. How do you think you would feel if the jaws of life cut through a HV power cable and injured the rescuer and the victim?

I think you would feel much worse if they cut through a petrol line.

It can't once your air bags deploy the battery pack circuit breaker cuts of the power to the rest of the car.

If there is no heat or spark involved then cutting a petrol line is far less spectacular than short circuiting high current DC. It's a good idea to warn emergency services of an unfamiliar hazard in the event that safety mechanisms may not have worked.

One day BEVs will be that common that all emergency personal will have had training to deal with the specific dangers. In the mean time a sticker that says "Hey I'm different to an ICE" can't be bad.

On a separate note it looks as if RMS may offer a lower motor vehicle tax rate for low emission vehicles. Tesla is not currently on the list, but should qualify as it is 5 green star rated. I have sent RMS a query to see if they will add it to the list - I'll let you all know the response.

Ok update on this one. I just had a call from the RMS policy officer and she confirmed that the Model S would currently qualify for the lower tax rate based upon it's green vehicle guide star rating, but needs to be added to the list of eligible vehicles. She did also note that she is expecting a change to the eligibility criteria for the lower tax rate which will be based upon CO2 emissions rather than the green vehicle guide rating. This should mean that it would again be eligible, but the new regime has yet to be confirmed. I think this is what one of the other posts might be referring to?

She undertook to get back to me when there is any further advice.

------
By the way I have passed the details to Stone in case Tesla want to officially pursue getting the model S on the list.

Last edited:
If you had this model then labelling as a hybrid would be OK.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58608&d=1410135144.jpg

I stole this from
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ntrol-Concerns?p=751651&viewfull=1#post751651

Last edited:
Ok update on this one. I just had a call from the RMS policy officer and she confirmed that the Model S would currently qualify for the lower tax rate based upon it's green vehicle guide star rating, but needs to be added to the list of eligible vehicles. She did also note that she is expecting a change to the eligibility criteria for the lower tax rate which will be based upon CO2 emissions rather than the green vehicle guide rating. This should mean that it would again be eligible, but the new regime has yet to be confirmed. I think this is what one of the other posts might be referring to?

She undertook to get back to me when there is any further advice.

------
By the way I have passed the details to Stone in case Tesla want to officially pursue getting the model S on the list.

Thanks for the update I also enquired (via a web ticket) to why I wasn't receiving the discount. I'm yet to hear back from them.

had an update from other EV drivers in vic it seems that vicroads expects the manufacturers to supply the EV stickers. and not a single person has been able to get it from vicroads. the EV trial people got some made up and might have some spare and the ATA group also got some made up.

so please advise Tesla you require the stickers so they can make sure you don't get defected as you drive them out of the show room.

I can't workout how the Registration costs listed on the website are calculated. Registering a new car in a 'high risk' postcode seems to cost $757.70, but the Tesla website lists $788 - and it should be eligible for a $100 discount on top of that.

Does the amount listed for the other states match the statutory costs?

When the time comes for delivery (eventually...) will they adjust the price based on actual rego costs or is it fixed?

I emailed VicRoads and got the following reply:
Hi Jon,

Thank you for your email about registration renewal fees for electric powered vehicle. My name is Vincent and I am able to advise you.

The electric powered vehicles do receive the same discount on the registration renewal. Electric vehicles like the Nissan Leaf do get a $100 discount on the registration renewal. This is provided in the legislation.

I hope that this information has addressed your enquiry.

I argued with four senior vic roads people when I xfered my rego from nsw to vic when I bought my Tessy and failed to get the discount. I could have fought on but, hey, an incredible incentivating $100 discount when I bought my ~$200,000 electric car just didn't seem worth it.

When I see the incentives and discounts available in other countries to purchase evs, I know Australia isn't anywhere near serious yet.

Anyone who owns a Tesla here should be applauded for trying to change the current (forgive the pun) attitudes!

I renewed my rego to Vic yesterday and enquired about the $100 discount to be rudely told "NO it's NOT a hybrid" (no argument there, but ....).

As far as I know it's automatic with Vicroads. I've never contacted them about getting a discount but just checked my renewal and it's $100 less. It doesn't explicitly show a $100 discount being applied, just the $ value of the registration is less.

There's a line under the price breakdown which says "The hybrid/electric powered vehicle registration discount has already been deducted from your registration fee on this notice".

it seems that your luck with Vicroads depends on who attends to your query. Following Jon's post (PM received - thanks) I again followed up with Vicroads and finally got the piece of legislation in question, reg 102(3)(b) "If a motor vehicle is a hybrid vehicle or an electric powered passenger car, the fee to be paid for registration or renewal of registration of the vehicle is ... the fee that would otherwise be payable under section 9 of the Act or Schedule 3, less $100"

ROAD SAFETY (VEHICLES) REGULATIONS 2009 - REG 102 Concessional registration fees for other vehicles