Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you sell your Model S and buy Model X?

Will you sell your Model S and buy Model X?

• Yes

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Won't sell, but will buy Model X (I need both cars)

Votes: 14 9.8%
  • No, because I like Model S more (or because I don't change cars often)

Votes: 100 69.9%
  • I don't own Model S

Votes: 17 11.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I can say from experience that you can never please everyone when designing a product--there are always trades.

Personally, I have zero interest in the Model X but that's just because I dislike the whole SUV/CUV/crossover market segment.

Despite my daughter encouraging me to consider trading over the Model X (we travel and camp a lot), I have no intentions of giving up my beloved Model S. Though I must say that the X looks like it would meet more of my real life travel requirements more than any other truck or SUV I've owned- which makes me a little perplexed with some of the disgruntlements I am reading.

We owned a Chevy Tahoe for 10 years. Used the roof rack twice- How many SUV owners realistically use the roof rack on a regular enough bases to make it a deal breaker?
We also have owned a Dodge Ram quadcab. Great for hauling things, but [again] I am hard pressed to think of times that I needed to haul more than I am able to haul in my MS- and the X has even more hauling capacity.
I've never owned a minivan but have been the unfortunate passenger stuck in the back row for vanpools- I totally get why Tesla gave some much emphasis to 3rd row functionality.

The ONE thing that does look like it might be a sacrifice (X versus other trucks/SUV/minivan...)- The X does not appear to be designed to handle playing around on the off-roads. For us- this wasn't a need, so much as a fun thing to do when you are camping on a beach or in the woods.

IMHO the Model X targeted (and surpassed) all the core real life functional elements that lured many of us into the truck/suv/minivan market, might fall short on some of the items we are used to having (i.e. roof rack, off-roading capabilities) but realistically don't need or use, and introduced new items to add excitement to function (winged doors; pano windshield; independently moveable seating, etc)

It probably is NOT a good vehicle for the few that actually SUV shoppers that routinely haul a kayak on the roof rack, goes muddin' off road weekly, or tows big stuff all the time.

For the rest of us, Tesla catered to what the statistical SUV owning family does with their SUV. Cudo's

(and just so I don't sound to enamored- they did leave out one itty-bitty SUV owners statistic... income ;)

How many SUV owners realistically use the roof rack on a regular enough bases to make it a deal breaker?

Exactly. I think the absence of a roof rack is being overblown here. I can bet that if you park yourself on an overpass over a busy highway and start counting the number of comparable sized CUVs that carry anything on their roof over a period of say one hour during a long weekend - you will come up with less than 1%. This is just my observation. I really wish someone actually takes a video and publishes the results.

This very small group of owners over in this forum completely skew the discussion and perception over this topic as if the X will be useless as a CUV. Far from it. Same goes to the cargo space with no folding 2nd row seats, though I would think that is something perhaps will be missed more than the absence of roof racks, but neither of them are deal breakers for a majority of potential customers.